BBQ Top 10 Cities....I really don't know what to think about this.

Well, I am in Wisconsin. Some good BBQ places. BBQ here used to be considered ground beef and tomato sauce on a bun! A wasteland considering some of the southeastern and southern states.

Omitting Texas, Alabama, DC, Florida, etc is a serious crime!

I ended up buying a Traeger Grill with wifi and supersmoke I use A stainless steel tube(s) loaded with wood chips to add to the smoke flavor.

Burnt ends and pork butt rule!!!

I bet those ribs in NJ are falling off the bone special........

It's a food truck that has been around for probably a little more than 10 years. I've been going there since it was in its original location in a convenience store parking lot. Now they have 4 other locations around town plus a restaurant about 30 miles east of Columbus in Granville.

I haven’t spent significant time in Columbus in 15 years so I probably shouldn’t have commented. There wasn’t much that I KNEW of back 15-18 years ago. I did have a Dublin lady friend for a bit a few months ago, but we never made it to the BBQ date, 🤣.

There’s great BBQ here all the time. I just buy it raw and do my thing. Have a gas and charcoal grill as well as a kettle hardwood smoker. I like a challenge and good luck keeping a constant temp on that sucker. You have to plan every briquette and stick/chip you put in as well as when and where to vent. I cheat a lot now that it’s basically just me and Sous Vide a lot of stuff am just finish it on low heat charcoal for a couple hours. Just as good in my book.

I prefer Louisiana style, Cajun grandpa taught me to BBQ and that was his style. He didn’t make his sauce but he special ordered it.

I ain’t screwed anything up yet but there were a few times that we ate much earlier than we thought we were going to, lol. I trusted the cheap thermometer on the lid too much at first. It’s 80* off on the low side. So thought I was at 225* and I’m running 305*. Took a couple cooks before I realized something wasn’t right. I used a meat thermometer and I was done hours before I should have. Got the IR one out and found out the built in one was 80* off. Made sense then.

I bet those ribs in NJ are falling off the bone special........

This is a prejudice that I share with my Brother, I DO NOT want ribs that fall off the bone! I want to hold the bone in my hands, and gnaw the meat off of it. It should be tender, but I don't want any bare bones coming out of that rack of ribs! I think this speaks to true excellence in BBQ! If I want pulled pork, I'll order pulled pork! When I want ribs, I want ribs!

I heard these rankings the other day on the radio, and I thought the creators were nuts! Where's Memphis, Kansas City? Heck, why not throw Cincinnati in there. The Montgomery Inn is there, who has had legendary ribs for a long time! Heck, I could nominate the Youngstown/Warren area in NE Ohio. We have some great BBQ spots around here!

Newark, NJ? I guess they're using a very broad term for BBQ. I'm local to the area and go to Newark often for rodizio...but to me, even as a NJ native, true BBQ is something that comes off a smoker...pork butt, brisket, ribs, etc., and Newark ain't that. Very dense Portuguese/Brazilian population in the Iron Bound section and great for rodizio, but the only true BBQ place I'm aware of is Dinosaur attached to Prudential Center. This list is lame and it's a disgrace that places like Austin, Memphis and San Antonio were left out.

Obviously not having KC or TX means this poll has elevated them to heavenly status and not available for the vote.

Newark, NJ? I guess they're using a very broad term for BBQ. I'm local to the area and go to Newark often for rodizio...but to me, even as a NJ native, true BBQ is something that comes off a smoker...pork butt, brisket, ribs, etc., and Newark ain't that. Very dense Portuguese/Brazilian population in the Iron Bound section and great for rodizio, but the only true BBQ place I'm aware of is Dinosaur attached to Prudential Center. This list is lame and it's a disgrace that places like Austin, Memphis and San Antonio were left out.
The list was probably compiled by a couple soyboys who’ve never tasted real bbq in their lives. Grilled tofu with wilted radicchio on avocado toast doesn’t count.

Last edited:
Lol. That’s all I can say

As a man who cooks in BBQ competitions and have won a few trophies, I find this list offensive. Hahaha really upsetting.

The list was probably compiled by a couple soyboys who’ve never tasted real bbq in their lives. Grilled tofu with wilted radicchio on avocado toast doesn’t count.
You mean to tell me BBQ tempeh isn't real BBQ? The horror!

Back