WLG1952

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
I rarely let others actions bother me. It doesn't matter if it's golf , or playing tiddily winks.

I had a second thought the other day.

While pitching to a raised cup the "That Guy" bladed his pitch shot so hard the ball bounced side ways off the raised liner, and stopped about 30' feet away, in a bunker no less. He counted it as a hole out. I made my 3'foot putt to halve the hole.

Now, I know the so called accepted, covid rule, that if the ball touches the raised line, the ball is considered holed.

However, last I checked golf was still a game of honor, and integrity.

I thought to myself, that there was no way I would count that bad of mis-hit good. I'm thinking that there might be something in the rules, that I could use my own rights to make a final decision.

No, I would've taken the higher road, and played out of the bunker after that ricochet rabbit shot. That's just me though.

You are right, he is wrong.

Poor sportsmanship on his part in my opinion

Well seems that the gentleman part of the game was omitted. I don't care if I did it from 5 feet or 200 yards. You have to respect the nature and result of the shot. It wouldn't have gone in sooo no hole out.

To be fair it could have gone in, if I were him I would have said if I flip heads 4 times in a row it is in, if not no good.

You are right, he is wrong.

Agree with this. No way in regular circumstances that ball goes in and stays in. Should have called it on himself and putt from where ever it left off.

I had the opposite issue yesteday. Instead of raised cups, they used pool noodles but only sunk them 1/4" to 1/2 below the lip. Balls were dropping in center of cup and bouncing right back out. We had to make some judgement calls on what balls would have stayed in and which ones would have missed. Sign of the times I am afraid. :confused:

There is no way I would call that a hole out, but some people will do what they can to win.

20200416_162713.jpg

Quality of hit doesn't really matter on whether something would have gone in the hole or not under normal circumstances. And that's all that should matter. I would have asked him if he thought that would have been holed normally, just to see his face or hear the response.

I rarely let others actions bother me. It doesn't matter if it's golf , or playing tiddily winks.

I had a second thought the other day.

While pitching to a raised cup the "That Guy" bladed his pitch shot so hard the ball bounced side ways off the raised liner, and stopped about 30' feet away, in a bunker no less. He counted it as a hole out. I made my 3'foot putt to halve the hole.

Now, I know the so called accepted, covid rule, that if the ball touches the raised line, the ball is considered holed.

However, last I checked golf was still a game of honor, and integrity.

I thought to myself, that there was no way I would count that bad of mis-hit good. I'm thinking that there might be something in the rules, that I could use my own rights to make a final decision.

No, I would've taken the higher road, and played out of the bunker after that ricochet rabbit shot. That's just me though.
You note that the hole was halved...

What sort of event/game were you in?

I played on raised cups once this year. Not for me. I experienced the same thing as you with guys smashing putts off the rim like it was a hardest shot competition...

I’m with you here. It’s about the likelihood of the shot actually going in if cups were normal.

Nothing special. Just two guys playing golf. We had never met prior to the first tee.
That's where it gets tough, right? His perspective vs yours.

I'm in the camp of "act how you'd want them to act" so I'd never call it holed. Then again, if his world is so lost that playing aggressive plinko is how to make his day? Go for it big guy... make sure to brag about it later too haha

He is totally wrong but whatever...
I have some questions about this though, why were you taking his score? Were you in the same cart? This was nothing special, non tournament, didn’t even know the guy, the pro shop just paired you up with him, did you exchange cards or something?

but, with a cup elevated out of the ground, is there "wrong" and "right" outside of basic logic?
Yes.
The guy was wronger than wrong to count a 100 mph ricochet.
I have so many questions about this, if we were riding together I’m dumping his bag and driving off, I’m telling him to walk back to the pro shop with his head down in shame, I’m telling this guy to get bent.

Yes.
The guy was wronger than wrong to count a 100 mph ricochet.
I have so many questions about this, if we were riding together I’m dumping his bag and driving off, I’m telling him to walk back to the pro shop with his head down in shame, I’m telling this guy to get bent.
I think he watched the YouTube where the guy was making birdie everywhere with bashing the ball against the cup lmao

I think he watched the YouTube where the guy was making birdie everywhere with bashing the ball against the cup lmao
Yes! Yes that is correct! I have to assume this guy watched birdie bashing YouTube.

When our cups were raised our group sat and figured out what would be acceptable and not. This would not have counted, but as @Canadan said if it makes his day then so be it. Also I’m sure he did do some bragging to his buddies.

If I was playing with a rando and didn't have any money riding on the game, I'd just shake it off and let him do whatever.

When our cups were raised our group sat and figured out what would be acceptable and not. This would not have counted, but as @Canadan said if it makes his day then so be it. Also I’m sure he did do some bragging to his buddies.
I really think the only guys calling that a 'make' are the guys who won't stop talking about the hole out later in the day lmao.

If I was playing with a rando and didn't have any money riding on the game, I'd just shake it off and let him do whatever.
Would you offer him his shot in the next fairway as "good" to throw a bit of salt in the wound?

"....nice eagle bro"

Yep, i did that!! With raised cups, I was averaging around 26 putts a round. Now my course has gone back to proper cups with noodles, I’m back to about 37 putts a round LOL.
we did have a rule in our 3 some that if the ball hit the raised cup it counted. The ball would only have to breeze the cup, or you could hit the cup so hard it damaged your ball, it still counted. We did that just to avoid any arguments.

Would you offer him his shot in the next fairway as "good" to throw a bit of salt in the wound?

"....nice eagle bro"
That is really funny!

Yep, i did that!! With raised cups, I was averaging around 26 putts a round. Now my course has gone back to proper cups with noodles, I’m back to about 37 putts a round LOL.
we did have a rule in our 3 some that if the ball hit the raised cup it counted. The ball would only have to breeze the cup, or you could hit the cup so hard it damaged your ball, it still counted. We did that just to avoid any arguments.
Man, I would be so salty if our cups were raised here.

Glad normalcy is returning.

Since it’s some random with nothing riding on the game, let him play however he wants. He’s only cheating himself. He’ll never get better playing like that.

Back