Man, I would be so salty if our cups were raised here.

Glad normalcy is returning.
We played inverted cups, you really had to finesse it if you wanted it to stay in. We gave putts that bounced out after hitting the metal prongs, but only if it was obvious to the whole group that it would have dropped with a non-'Rona cup - no blowing it through the cup and 10 yards past nonsense.

Ours are back to normal now and I'm definitely glad for it.

We played inverted cups, you really had to finesse it if you wanted it to stay in. We gave putts that bounced out after hitting the metal prongs, but only if it was obvious to the whole group that it would have dropped with a non-'Rona cup - no blowing it through the cup and 10 yards past nonsense.

Ours are back to normal now and I'm definitely glad for it.
We're still hanging out with PVC, but out of the many rounds I've played, I've only confidently been rejected by them twice which isn't bad at all.

SO excited to putt without the pin in again though. Holy wow. Cannot wait.

If I had hit the raised cup that hard, I would never have called it holed as it is fairly obvious it wouldn't have dropped in a normal hole

I played a course on Saturday with inverted cups and I had a putt that I am fairly confident would have dropped in a normal hole as we both heard it hit the prongs in the cup before lipping out at 90 degrees - I didn't count it, but we both said it was one of those that would likely have dropped in a normal situation

I'm not sure I like the pool noodles in the cup anymore than I would like raised cups! I find myself trying to die the ball in the hole much more than when this whole thing started. As a result, I'm leaving a lot of putts short or that drop off to one side of the cup or the other as they get there. These types of putts are also more susceptible to little imperfections as they lose their speed as well.

I played on raised cups once this year. Not for me. I experienced the same thing as you with guys smashing putts off the rim like it was a hardest shot competition...

I’m with you here. It’s about the likelihood of the shot actually going in if cups were normal.
I think there is a difference in intentionally hitting it hard to make sure you hit the raised cup. That seems ok to me because it is using a skill and taking a risk. In this case the golfer hit a crap shot and tried to worm his way out of a score.

We're still hanging out with PVC, but out of the many rounds I've played, I've only confidently been rejected by them twice which isn't bad at all.

SO excited to putt without the pin in again though. Holy wow. Cannot wait.

I’ve been rejected two or three times as well and will be pulling the flag like it’s 2018 as soon as we are allowed.

You should have slapped him gently with your glove, said "You, sirrah, are a cheat, and and a villain. I demand satisfaction. My second will be in touch with the details."

Never play with this guy again.

I rarely let others actions bother me. It doesn't matter if it's golf , or playing tiddily winks.

I had a second thought the other day.

While pitching to a raised cup the "That Guy" bladed his pitch shot so hard the ball bounced side ways off the raised liner, and stopped about 30' feet away, in a bunker no less. He counted it as a hole out. I made my 3'foot putt to halve the hole.

Now, I know the so called accepted, covid rule, that if the ball touches the raised line, the ball is considered holed.

However, last I checked golf was still a game of honor, and integrity.

I thought to myself, that there was no way I would count that bad of mis-hit good. I'm thinking that there might be something in the rules, that I could use my own rights to make a final decision.

No, I would've taken the higher road, and played out of the bunker after that ricochet rabbit shot. That's just me though.

This really isn't debatable and if this was in competition, I would have called it out.

From USGA Rules re: COVID-19

MODIFICATIONS TO THE HOLE; NOT REQUIRING THAT PLAYERS HOLE OUT

To minimize the possibility of exposing golfers to coronavirus, a number of methods have been employed to modify the hole so that players no longer need to reach into the hole to remove a ball.

These have included some courses setting holes so that the hole-liner remains an inch or two above the surface of the green while others have placed various objects into the hole or around the flagstick (such as foam pool noodles or plastic piping) so that a ball is unable to fall to the bottom.

While all of these measures are available to a committee, it is important to note that with some options the ball cannot be holed under the Rules of Golf, such as when the hole-liner is above the surface of the putting green. While these may serve the needs of a course hosting recreational play, these are not recommended for competition.

Alternatives for both recreational play and competition that allow the ball to be holed include placing inserts into the hole that sit below the surface of the putting green and allow the ball to come to rest on the insert in the hole, either entirely or partially below the surface of the green.

In all cases, a round played under these conditions will result in an acceptable score for handicap purposes using the most likely score guidelines (see Rule 3.3 of the Rules of Handicapping).

While the most likely score procedure is intended to support certain formats of play where the player is not required to hole out (such as in match play when the player’s next stroke is conceded or in Four-Ball stroke play when a partner picks up), it is also temporarily in effect where the above described safety measures are being used. Note: Improper application of most likely score may result in lower scores. It is important for players to apply the procedure consistently and accurately to protect the integrity of their Handicap Index.

When using most likely score, the player should consider the number of strokes most likely required to complete the hole, and determine whether the ball would have been holed or not. Most likely score is at the player's best judgment and should not be used to gain an unfair advantage.

I’ve been rejected two or three times as well and will be pulling the flag like it’s 2018 as soon as we are allowed.
I putted to a pin-less cup on the practice green on Saturday morning.

It was absolutely glorious watching the ball disappear.

I get and totally respect keeping score and following every single rule, but stuff like this is where I appreciate even more the fact that when I'm out there with the guys or my wife we play by super related rules. Its all about laughs per hole, not strokes. Anything that could cause me to get my head out of "fun mode" would kill the next few holes if not more.

I'll add, he's in the wrong lol

You need to agree on the rules before the game and then stick to them. If you do then the rules are the same for everyone. As someone posted earlier there are basically three different options. I am fine with any of them as long as you set the ground rules before the match. You can’t change your mind on the ground rules during the match if you don’t like a result.

We played a match recently where we agreed if you hit the raised cup it was considered holed. We had some good natured ribbing among the group about shots that might not have gone int but we agreed ahead of time and played by the rules. No controversy even though there were at least two shots that might not have stayed in the cup.

That sounds crazy... hopefully he wasn't an insufferable richard the rest of the round with his "sure hope I get this done like that last one I holed out on...":eek:

I am very impressed that a casual match play for no stakes with a random stranger impressed so much emotion in you.

Also, it should not have been a hole out and that guy was exploiting a loophole in order to make himself feel better. If generously halving a hole with a stranger is what I can do to make him feel better about himself, so be it. I have bigger fish to fry.

I rarely let others actions bother me. It doesn't matter if it's golf , or playing tiddily winks.

I had a second thought the other day.

While pitching to a raised cup the "That Guy" bladed his pitch shot so hard the ball bounced side ways off the raised liner, and stopped about 30' feet away, in a bunker no less. He counted it as a hole out. I made my 3'foot putt to halve the hole.

Now, I know the so called accepted, covid rule, that if the ball touches the raised line, the ball is considered holed.

However, last I checked golf was still a game of honor, and integrity.

I thought to myself, that there was no way I would count that bad of mis-hit good. I'm thinking that there might be something in the rules, that I could use my own rights to make a final decision.

No, I would've taken the higher road, and played out of the bunker after that ricochet rabbit shot. That's just me though.
Have you ever counted a chip that you mishit but it hit the stick and went in? If it would have not hit the stick it would have went off the green.

Ya hopefully you won't have to play with him again.

That is just bad form and the guy probably cheats elsewhere too. I try never to play with guys like that if I can help it. We finally drove a habitual cheater from our Rack (he couldn't break 100 even with the cheating...).

Just to give you an insight into the mind of a cheater, this is what the guy said when he asked why no one wanted to play with him any more. Here's the entirety of that conversation:

Cheater: "Why doesn't anyone want to play with me anymore"?
Other Guy: "Well (cheater's name), it's because you cheat".
Cheater: "Well I'm trying not to"!!

Trying not to... wow. What a response and we still all laugh about it today; he's been out of our Rack now for a year or so.

I am very impressed that a casual match play for no stakes with a random stranger impressed so much emotion in you.

Also, it should not have been a hole out and that guy was exploiting a loophole in order to make himself feel better. If generously halving a hole with a stranger is what I can do to make him feel better about himself, so be it. I have bigger fish to fry.
Well said! My thoughts exactly.

I think I would have responded to him with "If you insist on taking that, I will give it to you."

And....I can't wait for the pool noodles to go away!! I have had way too many putts bounce out.

We played a course Saturday that had pool noodles that were higher than the holes. You had to hit the noodle and pretty much use judgement. I was at a Par 3 and hit a decent shot to the green with about 25 foot to go. I putted and came up about 6 foot short. I putted again and hit the edge of the pool noodle.

I told my teammates that the putt would not have went if there were no pool noodle in the hole because I believe the ball would have went around the cup and popped out about 4-6 inches the other side.

They basically said you hit the noodle with reasonable shot it is counted. Felt odd to me to play like that. I will be glad when the foam is out of the cups. Also I find aiming with the pool noodle to feel weird to me.

I sometimes wonder, if golf was such a game of honor and integrity ... why are there so many rules? Yet that phrase is used repetitively when there is a disagreement.

In my opinion it was not a hole out ...

If I don’t play competitive golf, don’t bet, don’t fill out a score card, don’t announce my score, I’m I still a cheater? Am I allowed to play with golfers who do compete? Am I welcome to play at all?

I don’t mean to be a richard, I have had a couple of awkward moments playing with others. competitive golf is so foreign to me I can’t imagine the expectations of those who play differently.

Last edited:
Back