Beautiful Hidden Gem in San Diego, CA Rams Hill Golf Club

tinkergolfman

Reaction score
Handicap
Just played this amazing hidden gem in San Diego County track called Rams Hill Golf Club:

The wife and I are heading for San Diego for a week of golf in 10 days.
We just might have to try that track !

The wife and I are heading for San Diego for a week of golf in 10 days.
We just might have to try that track !

It’s about a 60-90 minute drive depending on your speed thru switchbacks but it’s a great track with amazing practice range and plenty of tees options to test all skill levels. Love playing out there and GM is a great people person.

It’s about a 60-90 minute drive depending on your speed thru switchbacks but it’s a great track with amazing practice range and plenty of tees options to test all skill levels. Love playing out there and GM is a great people person.

Apparently there is a different way to go that bypasses the switchbacks. It adds some time to the drive, but from what I am told it is a much smoother and more appreciable drive.

I still need to get up there to play it. I’ve heard nothing but great things.

Sounds like we need to make a date out here soon! I’m game.

Gonna try in next few months........

That gives me time to remember how to golf. Might be a frost delay or two in the morning out there but definitely a great course

Really nice looking track, thanks for sharing. Boy, do I miss sun and warm weather.in lockdown now for the next 5 months....bah humbug ?

I've been wanting to play it as well. Just haven't had the opportunity yet. Long ways from my house. lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've been wanting to play it as well. Just haven't had the opportunity yet. Long ways from my house. lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

yea it's a drive from your house.

sorry to dredge up an old thread but staying and playing here in March...anybody else play here recently?

sorry to dredge up an old thread but staying and playing here in March...anybody else play here recently?

A buddy of mine played there last week and said it was in great shape. I’m gonna try to get down there in the next month or so.

This one is definitely on my radar. Just learned about it a couple of years ago. Believe they close down in the summer.

Not really a "Hidden gem"....Rams Hill has been a top course is the Cali region for a long time now.

If you have time to make the trip (3hr round trip from most places), it is well worth it imo. Plus if you are in search of some extras the desert state park and Salton Sea are great stops if you are into taking in America's 'destinations'.

Last edited:
This one is definitely on my radar. Just learned about it a couple of years ago. Believe they close down in the summer.

yeah they close June - November.

Heard about it last year and really want to play but its like a 4 hr drive and nothing really around it so tough to make it a quick trip.

Heard about it last year and really want to play but its like a 4 hr drive and nothing really around it so tough to make it a quick trip.
It’s true, Borrego Springs is pretty much the textbook definition of “middle of nowhere”! 😆 And the three nearest towns (Lake Henshaw, Warner Springs and Ocotillo Wells) are even smaller, nothing more than wide spots in the road.

It’s true, Borrego Springs is pretty much the textbook definition of “middle of nowhere”! 😆 And the three nearest towns (Lake Henshaw, Warner Springs and Ocotillo Wells) are even smaller, nothing more than wide spots in the road.
Yeah I thought about planning a Palm Springs trip or something but even then its a 3 hr detour i think. But it does seem like an amazing course. So someday.

Yeah I thought about planning a Palm Springs trip or something but even then its a 3 hr detour i think. But it does seem like an amazing course. So someday.
There are a couple ways to get there from the Palm Springs area, but either of them are a long haul for sure. If you like adventure, take Highway 74 up the mountain from Palm Springs and go down SR-371 to SR-79, over to County Road S2. The first time I took my wife down Highway 74 to Palm Springs she was absolutely terrified and was screaming that they should dynamite this road and never let anybody drive on it ever again. 😆. It’s real twisty and narrow, but the views are spectacular! County Road S22 going down into Borrego Springs from S2 is more of the same - tight, twisty and scenic.

She’s probably right about the road. It sucks but the views are worth it. They just raised prices at Rams to $120-$150 I believe. Conditions are perfect and with rain we’ve had recently, it’s only going to get better.

This is on our list for this spring, one of my playing partners made the trek from San Diego not too long ago and loved it.

There are a couple ways to get there from the Palm Springs area, but either of them are a long haul for sure. If you like adventure, take Highway 74 up the mountain from Palm Springs and go down SR-371 to SR-79, over to County Road S2. The first time I took my wife down Highway 74 to Palm Springs she was absolutely terrified and was screaming that they should dynamite this road and never let anybody drive on it ever again. 😆. It’s real twisty and narrow, but the views are spectacular! County Road S22 going down into Borrego Springs from S2 is more of the same - tight, twisty and scenic.

yeah, a couple of years ago when we were passing through on the 10 coming back from TX, i told the wife i was gonna detour to anza borrego...big mistake after driving for 12+ hrs already. she thought i was gonna dump her body somewhere out there :ROFLMAO:

yeah, a couple of years ago when we were passing through on the 10 coming back from TX, i told the wife i was gonna detour to anza borrego...big mistake after driving for 12+ hrs already. she thought i was gonna dump her body somewhere out there :ROFLMAO:
If you came off the 10, went down Hwy 86 and across Hwy 78, I can see that - it's pretty desolate out there! I spent a lot of years camping, four wheeling and riding dirt bikes in Ocotillo Wells and Borrego Springs/Anza-Borrego area. Did she wrinkle her nose and ask "What's that smell?!?" when you passed the Salton Sea? :ROFLMAO:

Back