Becoming a scratch or better player.

Reading through this and seeing where my game has come in the past month. I think I might have to join in on this challenge. I have been working hard in this past year to get to single digit and since I broke 80 less than a month ago, I have now dropped from a 9.5 to a 7.1 handicap. I think it is going to start to get very hard soon to get it drop more. I can't give strokes away during a round and have to play smarter. I just need to avoid misses that will cause strokes. I have been working on my putting a lot and it has paid off. My last three rounds were 34, 25, 31. I am at the point now that I can't wait to get back out there and go after the course again.

Right on Grant! I look forward to reading your progress here as well!

Right on Grant! I look forward to reading your progress here as well!

Thanks man. I think it will be good for me to put my thoughts and feelings down on paper/internet. I think we can help each other out getting to the goal!

Reading through this and seeing where my game has come in the past month. I think I might have to join in on this challenge. I have been working hard in this past year to get to single digit and since I broke 80 less than a month ago, I have now dropped from a 9.5 to a 7.1 handicap. I think it is going to start to get very hard soon to get it drop more. I can't give strokes away during a round and have to play smarter. I just need to avoid misses that will cause strokes. I have been working on my putting a lot and it has paid off. My last three rounds were 34, 25, 31. I am at the point now that I can't wait to get back out there and go after the course again.
Thats great Grant, everyone has said that the strokes getting from say around 4 to scratch are the hardest to drop, at that point its all mental.
I think I could join this challenge too. Though I don't have as much time for golf being in college and whatnot. I still have some, and I think it would be awesome if I could get to scratch by the time I graduate. I have plenty of time.
Looking forward to it Dam.

Thanks man. I think it will be good for me to put my thoughts and feelings down on paper/internet. I think we can help each other out getting to the goal!

I definitely think it's therapeutic, and I can tell you first hand that comments made in this thread have forced me to get down to business on a couple of different aspects of my game..

Most notably, it reminded me how important quality instruction is.. Starting early next year, I think I'm going to knock off the cobwebs with a couple lessons. I really think/hope next year could be my year.

Thats great Grant, everyone has said that the strokes getting from say around 4 to scratch are the hardest to drop, at that point its all mental.

Looking forward to it Dam.

I can imagine how hard that has to be. I think once I get a par round out of the way. It will drop quicker. I won't make it to scratch with out going under a few times.

It is amazing how much a putter fitting and lesson has helped me. I have been putting out of my mind lately. It really has dropped my scores.

I definitely think it's therapeutic, and I can tell you first hand that comments made in this thread have forced me to get down to business on a couple of different aspects of my game..

Most notably, it reminded me how important quality instruction is.. Starting early next year, I think I'm going to knock off the cobwebs with a couple lessons. I really think/hope next year could be my year.

Are you coming back to NC or SC for golf again?

I'm going to be in Summerville for about a week right around Christmas. Maybe we can set something up?

That might be a little far. I was hoping for Myrtle area again. We can catch up at some time.

That might be a little far. I was hoping for Myrtle area again. We can catch up at some time.

Maybe we could find somewhere in Columbia? Only about two hours from Summerville and Mooresville..

I'll shoot you a PM as it gets closer. It'd be a blast to tee it up with you buddy!

Maybe we could find somewhere in Columbia? Only about two hours from Summerville and Mooresville..

I'll shoot you a PM as it gets closer. It'd be a blast to tee it up with you buddy!

That would be good dude. I am down.

Today will be my first round since my lesson last saturday and I'm really looking forward to it. Its men's night at the club and once again I will be playing as the highest HC'er in the group again, me a 9 index, two 1's and a 3, but I'm sure this will be the last men's night where I am the highest HC'er in the group I play in.

I'm going to get to the club about an hour early so I can have a good casual warm up session with a lot of stretching and seeing if I can get in a bit of a groove. Today will be all about trusting that the ball is going to fade. I haven't hit a ball to the right yet this week, so all day today I will be aiming to the right side of the green, or the fairway and trusting that the ball will fade back in, or if it goes straight then it will simply be on the right hand side.

I'm not expecting the world today, but I do see it as the first step to getting to where I want to be.

Looking forward to the results CB! I am really enjoying following your progress, keep it up man

Today will be my first round since my lesson last saturday and I'm really looking forward to it. Its men's night at the club and once again I will be playing as the highest HC'er in the group again, me a 9 index, two 1's and a 3, but I'm sure this will be the last men's night where I am the highest HC'er in the group I play in.

I'm going to get to the club about an hour early so I can have a good casual warm up session with a lot of stretching and seeing if I can get in a bit of a groove. Today will be all about trusting that the ball is going to fade. I haven't hit a ball to the right yet this week, so all day today I will be aiming to the right side of the green, or the fairway and trusting that the ball will fade back in, or if it goes straight then it will simply be on the right hand side.

I'm not expecting the world today, but I do see it as the first step to getting to where I want to be.

Go get em' buddy! You've got this. Be confident in your swing.

Bring us an update when you're done!

Breeze I love that you started this post and we can see your journey along the way. I am VERY new to the forum(1st day) so I have to earn my stripes around here.

I am glad to be aboard and good luck with your mens group.

good luck tonight breeze. i think spending time before hand and getting in the groove is more important than i first believed my last few rounds were bad for the first 3 or 4 holes and once i felt warmed up on the course i scored so much better. Hope you kick some butt tonight

Well boys, the night went both really well and really poorly. The really well was how well I was hitting the ball, long with just a baby fade, and I didn't have a single ball go right. The bad was just I didn't trust it. I had a really hard time aiming right and trusting that the ball would come back, and the change in grip to my short game made me second guess every shot I took.

I ended up shooting a very sub par 88 but considering how well I hit the ball and the fact that it was my first round out since the grip and stance changes I was very pleased. I also won $5 overall in our money games as I woulld either par or birdie, or get a big number. I'm really happy with where this game could be going.

Way to go dude. The big numbers will creep down and out once you get some confidence. The fact that you know it works is something you can rely on to stick with. Go Breezey Go!

Well boys, the night went both really well and really poorly. The really well was how well I was hitting the ball, long with just a baby fade, and I didn't have a single ball go right. The bad was just I didn't trust it. I had a really hard time aiming right and trusting that the ball would come back, and the change in grip to my short game made me second guess every shot I took.

I ended up shooting a very sub par 88 but considering how well I hit the ball and the fact that it was my first round out since the grip and stance changes I was very pleased. I also won $5 overall in our money games as I woulld either par or birdie, or get a big number. I'm really happy with where this game could be going.

Way to go dude. The big numbers will creep down and out once you get some confidence. The fact that you know it works is something you can rely on to stick with. Go Breezey Go!
Thanks buddy, long way to go but I now feel like I'm close.

Winning money is excellent. Looks like confidence is the next step?

Winning money is excellent. Looks like confidence is the next step?
I think so, I hit the ball on my intended line almost every time last night, with a fade, but I just couldn't seem to trust that it would do it, and I guess I subconciously aimed to the left expecting a draw like I've been playing for the past year or so.

I just need to believe that the ball is going to do what I think it does.

This is a very good thread, progress is excellent. I like the fact you seem to have a plan in place and goals to aspire too. Lots of people want to get better of course, but taking it seriously enough to have a plan is important. Setting a goal, such as lowering your handicap, or just being able to get par on a one specific hole, goals are necessary. It will be great to read more about you getting better and sharing your tips.

Jay

I think so, I hit the ball on my intended line almost every time last night, with a fade, but I just couldn't seem to trust that it would do it, and I guess I subconciously aimed to the left expecting a draw like I've been playing for the past year or so.

I just need to believe that the ball is going to do what I think it does.

I totally get it.. When I aim to the right side of the green I hit it straight.. When I aim at the flag, I hit a draw haha! It's getting frustrating man. It's like a little dance every time out.

John's really good with course management CB, chat with him about it if you get a chance because everyone's going to second guess themselves when they're out there, it's just about taking those high numbers out of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to some updates here guys. I haven't done much practicing lately. Most of the time I'm on course instead of getting swings in on the range, which I think is okay.

I spend an hour on the putting green today which was a nice change of pace. I am really working on technique and while it's giving me a couple hiccups on course, it's making me a much better putter.

On course it didn't translate well early with 19 putts on the front 9, but I saw some real improvements on the back and finished with 15 putts on the back. Obviously more room for improvement, but the roll was there for sure, including two solid birdie putts and a great par save.

34 putts isn't bad at all! I had the same amount when I play yesterday. Lot of putts that could have been saved with better speed control but overall I felt I putted pretty well. Definitely room for improvement.

Back