Becoming a scratch or better player.

coolbreeze

Aspiring Golferr
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 8.9
Having just played in my first stroke play tournament I learned a few things about my own golf game, my goals for this game and the work I have been putting in to get there.

A little about me if you don't already know, I've been playing golf for almost exactly 3 years now and recently have been fluctuating between a 9.5 index and a 10.5 index. I'm 30 years old and have been playing sports my whole life and am very competitive. What I learned this weekend, is I don't ever again want to be competing in these tournaments for low net, thats not fun for me, I want to be playing for low gross and I just can't stand for playing this mediocre golf anymore.

So, this will be my thread that I update with little things as I go along on this journey to becoming the player that I want to be, and it starts now. The Bear Mountain Amateur that I played in this weekend will be played again this same weekend next year, and I want to be a scratch player by then and be competing with the rest of the players at my club for low gross.

I do understand that being a 10 index after 3 years is pretty good, but thats not where I want to be with this game and its time to redouble my efforts to be the player that will me happy because I know that I will not be happy if I keep going on with my game as it stands now.

Dude...no doubt you will get there. I'm looking forward to following your journey my friend. I'm hoping to be right there with you at some point. Keep up the hard work man, you've got all the support in the world from your THP family!

Can't wait to see you get there CB!! And you'll do so playing some sick BC courses! Photo updates or it didn't happen!!!!!!!

Breezy, you know I'm pulling for ya buddy. I say go get it man.

Breezy, I commend you for this effort and will be rooting for you! No doubt that you can get there.

What's nice about this game CB is that you will always have time on your side(in my opinion atleast) I have entered into my first tournaments this year and I just honestly don't like playing in "casual rounds" compared to competitive rounds.

So I will be following this closely CB I am happy to hear about this commitment.

CB,
THis is a great thread and I look forward to following it. Similar to you, I have set some goals for myself and decided that the Morgan Cup would be the thing I needed to get me off my behind to get there. I have started that plan to make myself a better golfer down the road. Unfortunately for me, some obstacles have gotten in the way of taking the next step, but in the next few months, I hope to be able to begin that journey again. I look forward to following you along in this one.

I love these threads. Breeze i think its very possible if you put the work in you can do it. taking lessons dropped my handicap dramatically this year. more than i thought was possible. and i am only half way through my swing change which ill start up again when the season dies down.

That's a lofty goal my Canadian friend...but one I am sure you can achieve.

Just remember, it's much eaiser to go from being a 20 to a 10 than it is to even go from a 10 to a 5. I too share your goal of getting to the scratch level, but I am not ready to put that type of time table on it. Right now I want to get to single digit and stay there for awhile....I have come along way in the last year, but the toughest part is ahead.

I wish you lots of luck and I will be working and following along with you!

I have thought of doing a similar type thread CB. My goal is to be a + handicap. For some crazy reason I think I can get there. I look forward to following along man!

Good luck on your journey. I was gonna go the same route but decided I would rather spend my evenings with my wife. I was a scratch golfer once and have no doubts I could reach there again but the time investment is just not worth it to me.

Good luck on your endeavor sir it won't be easy.

CB,
THis is a great thread and I look forward to following it. Similar to you, I have set some goals for myself and decided that the Morgan Cup would be the thing I needed to get me off my behind to get there. I have started that plan to make myself a better golfer down the road. Unfortunately for me, some obstacles have gotten in the way of taking the next step, but in the next few months, I hope to be able to begin that journey again. I look forward to following you along in this one.
Thanks guys, JB, like you the Morgan Cup again had me really working on my game hard, but having played with the first and second place players on the first day and watching them shoot 65 and 66 it truly opened my eyes to where I need to go, and talking to them about how much time they practiced on a week to week basis I was shocked. I thought I worked hard on my game, but compared to them I'm just playing at this. They play far less than I do, and practice way more. Thats eye opening for me, and is something that I need to do a better job at.

Good luck breezy....I think you'll get there faster than you think

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

I have thought of doing a similar type thread CB. My goal is to be a + handicap. For some crazy reason I think I can get there. I look forward to following along man!
I think you can too Chunky!
Good luck on your journey. I was gonna go the same route but decided I would rather spend my evenings with my wife. I was a scratch golfer once and have no doubts I could reach there again but the time investment is just not worth it to me.

Good luck on your endeavor sir it won't be easy.
I hear you, I'm lucky that I have a job where if I want to I can spend an hour or two every day at the range in the middle of the day and still be home before dinner from work.

12 months to get to scratch or better is going to be tough. I've been a sub 5 hcp for 2 years and I'm still not a scratch golfer and it's all I think about. I suspect if I joined a club and played the same course all the time I might be able to do it but I don't know if that will happen or not. Good luck dude, it's a great motivator.

12 months to get to scratch or better is going to be tough. I've been a sub 5 hcp for 2 years and I'm still not a scratch golfer and it's all I think about. I suspect if I joined a club and played the same course all the time I might be able to do it but I don't know if that will happen or not. Good luck dude, it's a great motivator.
Whether or not I get there I have no idea, but I do know that I'm going to do my best to become that player. You are a great player and I know you will get there and are really close.

Best of luck coolbreeze! I'll be reading along for sure. I'm sure you'll make it.

Did you guys know that when I play, I hear your voices in my head sometimes, saying things in threads about your games...

How to get out of a bunker? What to do in the taller rough? Even tempo on the putter.
You all, in your journeys are inadvertently helping me in mine.

I love this place!

i commend you on your efforts and your drive to get there breeze.
this takes some serious work and time IMO and is something that although would be great to someday achieve, i just don't see myself ever getting there...but maybe, who knows...
i've worked super hard to get down to single digits, and am super happy that i am there....but the difference with me, is that i just don't practice. but everyone knows that practice and lessons, etc...is how you really improve.

good luck in your journey and we will all be following along closely, rooting for you! good luck man.

I'm with you Breeze. I need to get better at this game. The next 4 years of my life (college) will be vastly short game work. That's how it will happen.

One of my big issues is the fact that I like to play so much more than I like to practice! I have practiced more in the last 6 months for the Morgan Cup than I ever have before....but even then I almost always have to hit the course and at least play 9 holes....I am just not a range rat and I dont know if I can change that.

So you're saying that you're going to practice more and play less to get there? You think that's what's going to do the trick?

Thanks guys, JB, like you the Morgan Cup again had me really working on my game hard, but having played with the first and second place players on the first day and watching them shoot 65 and 66 it truly opened my eyes to where I need to go, and talking to them about how much time they practiced on a week to week basis I was shocked. I thought I worked hard on my game, but compared to them I'm just playing at this. They play far less than I do, and practice way more. Thats eye opening for me, and is something that I need to do a better job at.

CB,
Every person I have ever met that is serious about this game and has achieved the goal you are seeking have said the same thing. You are on the right track in the thinking above. No question about it.

CB,
Every person I have ever met that is serious about this game and has achieved the goal you are seeking have said the same thing. You are on the right track in the thinking above. No question about it.

I'm not questioning the process, I'm simply asking questions about what his plan is.

I mean, you've met me, I'm serious about this game and achieving this goal and I do the exact opposite. Does that mean I'm wrong or something? I'm genuinely curious here.

So you're saying that you're going to practice more and play less to get there? You think that's what's going to do the trick?

i agree with this philosophy, its just hard to follow, i'd love to practice 3 times for every time i play, but it gets boring. especially when its really nice out. I also agree with what you said earlier TC my handicap was flying down and now that im getting closer and closer to scratch its been a lot harder to do it. i play a few good rounds and my handicap goes down like .3 points. sucks but i really think if i am ever able to do it myself now is the time to make the push. into next year. i'll be following this one closely. already subscribed.

Breeze quick question how often did those guys say they played and how much did they practice? just curious i remember reading or someone telling me the amount of practice to play that works well but i can't remember what it was. just curious thanks bro and good luck!!!!!

While I am going to practice more and play less I don't think thats the trick. I will be starting lessons with the head pro at my club after the MC to begin the process going forward, and formulating a plan to get me there with him.
CB,
Thanks JB, when I asked them about how much the practised I was expecting them 2 range sessions and a couple of rounds, when in fact the answer was 4-5 range sessions and 1 round. WOW.

Back