Bed shopping, anyone?

scooterguitar

Slacker and Whiner
Reaction score
Handicap
3-8perhole
Time for a new bed. My wife has been hating our current one.
I'm intrigued by the Sleep NUmber bed. Thought about Tempurpedic, but heard they are bad for retaining heat.
Now sorta thinking just get a nice regualr sping coiled bed with nice pillowtop.

Any random thoughts, likes/dislikes are appreciated.

We got the third choice in your list a couple of years ago. We felt the same thing about the Temperpedic, that it would be too hot. Plus Jacqui just did not like it. The sleep number probably would have been our first choice, but we didn't have that much to spend on a bed. My best friend and his wife have had the sleep number for over ten years and swear by it.

If you get the mattress with the pillowtop, I would make one suggestion to you that we didn't think about. It is not always easy to find sheets that fit. We need to get sheets to fit at least 18". 19- to 20-inch would be better. A lot of what you find are 17". Take a measuring tape when you go look!

Thanks Smalls.
I think we might go check out the actual pricing on the Sleep Numbers, but if it comes up being mucho more $, hey my back isn't the one hurting:>)

We looked at the Sleep by numbers and I could not tell much difference. We ended up with a Temperpedic matress. I do not think I could EVER switch to something else again.

Tempurpedic rules and I don't think they're too hot at all

We've got a Sealy pillowtop that we bought right before getting married (about 8 years now) and it pretty much sucks. It was great for a couple of years, and we still flip it and rotate it every few months but I just can't get a good nights sleep on it.

My in-laws have a Tempurpedic that we sleep on when we house-sit for them and I like it pretty well. We'll look at that and the Sleep Number (I've never slept on one) when we replace mattress in the next year or so.

We've got a Sealy pillowtop that we bought right before getting married (about 8 years now) and it pretty much sucks. It was great for a couple of years, and we still flip it and rotate it every few months but I just can't get a good nights sleep on it.

I bought a new bed about 4 years ago and decided to get a pillow top, and it was not cheap. However like Gummi, now I completely regret it. I think I may have had 6 months of sleeping well on it, then after that I would wake up with a sore back. It got so bad I started sleeping on the carpeted floor because it was more comfortable. Some nights I find myself getting up and sleeping on the couch because it is more comfortable than that bed....

We switched from a soft-side waterbed that my fiance had before we met to an Englander ultra-plush innerspring a little over a year ago. Absolutely love the new bed, very comfortable!

I've tried out the Sleep Number in the past, even slept in a few while staying at a couple of Radissons while on business. They were ok, but I didn't find them any more comfortable than a normal pillowtop and a little pricey for basically an air mattress.

Also tried out the Tempurpedic mattresses. The higher end models are VERY nice, but our budget wouldn't stretch that far. The lower-end mattresses weren't that impressive, and still were pricing about the same as a mid-high end Sealy Posturpedic at the store we were at.

We have a king-sized Sealy Posturepedic pillowtop (don't remember the model) that we absolutely love. We've had it for about two years now, and while it was a bit expensive (well expensive for us - over $2k), it's been a great investment.

Tempurpedic rules and I don't think they're too hot at all

I love the Tempurpedic that we have but I personally do find that it retains a lot of heat, especially right now in the hot summer. I am also about 5-10 degrees warmer than the average person so I may not be the best judge here.

Ive had my current bed for 10 yrs now and I am thinking about getting a new one. I really like the tempurpedic beds but I hear things like they get too hot or in the in winter they can stiffen up and recently I just read that they arent so great for that special time with a partner because there is no bounce like a typical spring mattress. How about those sleep number beds. What kind of beds are you guys using? Any suggestions for a new bed?

I can't comment on tempurpedic, but for me a king size and bamboo sheets are a must now.

My wife and I got a Tempurpedic about five years ago now and have never looked back. When we were looking it was a Tempurpedic or sleep number but we had a couple friends have mechanical problems with the sleep numbers. I know someone said they have a problem with the heat in the summers with the Tempurpedic but they have come out with a lot of new technology in the beds that helps with that. They are pricey but well worth the money!

My wife made me spend a lot of money on the Simmons beautyrest mattress and it's the best thing we did for sleeping. Not only is it crazy comfortable but she doesn't feel it when I spin and turn in my sleep.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

We've had a Sleep Number for almost 9 years now. I've had one since I was a teenager (our whole family got them). Wife had never slept on one before we got married. I love them, she doesn't love it. She likes a soft bed, I like a firm bed - I sometimes sleep with mine at a full 100, she's more in the 35 range. It is starting to get old and the zipper for the matress is broken and starting to strip itself further and further down so a replacement will need to be made before too long and I have no idea which way we'll end up going. We've enjoyed whatever the bed is that are in Hilton hotels - are those Heavenly beds? Whatever they are, they are both comfortable and somewhat adjustable, which is nice.

And with the Sleep Numbers you can always add air for those times a little more "traction" and less "sinking into the matress" may be helpfull...

Another old thread bump.

Has anyone tried beds from this place: http://www.personalcomfortbed.com

They are similar to the Sleep Number Bed, but less expensive and free shipping. We were set to get a Sleep Number, but then I found this place.

Another old thread bump.

Has anyone tried beds from this place: http://www.personalcomfortbed.com

They are similar to the Sleep Number Bed, but less expensive and free shipping. We were set to get a Sleep Number, but then I found this place.

You have me interested Smalls, my wife is going to check it out tomorrow. This might just happen as we really need a new bed and we wanted the SleepNumber m7.

I am still searching and came up with this bed, from Sam's Club: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/premium-dual-digital-sleep-4-eurostyle-air-bed/120086.ip?sprodId=120086 in King size.

They are actually made by Innomax http://innomax.com/ who have the same accredidation with the BBB as Select Comfort (A+)

I will be adding the foundation: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/founda...-collection-mattress/120090.ip?sprodId=120090 and I will just by a metal bed frame for it.

That is $1,248.28 total. I have to pay tax, but shipping is free and will be here in a week or so. The bed frame will cost about $50 or so I think.

I found a review site (http://sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-reviews-air-bed.html), and the Personal Comfort brand doesn't look as promising as it did before. No bad reviews, just not a big enough sample size to warrant a full review. They are also not BBB rated, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as they haven't been reported, but when you can go with A+ over nothing for less money, you do it.

The more online research you do, the more you will realize that shopping for mattresses is one of the most frustrating things you will ever do. It's so hard to find reviews of certain mattressess because companies will put different names on basically the same mattress depending on where it is sold. I thought buying a car was bad, but buying a mattress is worse.

All of that said, my wife and I went with a W Hotel mattress. Westin and the W Hotels sell the mattresses that they have in their rooms. My wife travels a bunch for work and liked the mattresses in both places, and we went with the W Hotel mattress since we found a 35% off code online (which isn't that hard to find). We've had it for over 2 years and are pleased with it.

This was a two day adventure, but it finally is a done deal. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week.

Not that anyone really cares except me, but this is the bed, and we got it from this website. $1,299 for the King (regular $1,599), $238 for the foundation (regular $385)free shipping, 12 months no interest.

http://mattressalternative.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=133&product_id=125

Here’s a better description: http://innomax.com/?crn=270&action=show&show_products_mode=cat_click

Comes with the last pump on this page: http://innomax.com/?crn=253&action=show&show_products_mode=cat_click

aircellsmallnosize.jpg

Last edited:
I would be leary about buying a mattress online without trying it out first ???

I would be leary about buying a mattress online without trying it out first ???

I would, but I have seen it on video (the actual bed), and it is basically a sleep number bed. And I have 30 days to return it.

We looked at the Sleep by numbers and I could not tell much difference. We ended up with a Temperpedic matress. I do not think I could EVER switch to something else again.

+1 on this. I was pretty indifferent to the Temperpedic at first (per the usual, wife made the call), but now I swear by it. Whenever I travel now I get aggravated that there's no Temperpedic bed. Just isn't the same.

Just go to the store and lay on all of them, buy the one you like.
I did that 4 years ago, bought a nice pillow top, couldn't be happier. Great bed so far

Back