Beer League Hockey

It's been years since I played, but I still miss it. If there was a rink anywhere near my town I'd still be skating. Closest rink is about 2 1/2 hours away, that's a little too far to make it worth it.

I keep telling myself I'm going to but it doesn't happen until like 10PM where I am and I just don't want to get home that late lol

It's been years since I played, but I still miss it. If there was a rink anywhere near my town I'd still be skating. Closest rink is about 2 1/2 hours away, that's a little too far to make it worth it.

We got lucky with there NHL team in the city. Before that, there was nothing.

Beer league softball is one thing.
That's an American staple.

Beer league hockey sounds like an excuse for your medical insurance to be cancelled.
At a certain age, ice is only useful for Scotch or Bourbon.

Haha, believe me I’ve seen it happen. Concussions, broken hands, pucks to unprotected areas, the list goes on. I wear a pretty nice helmet that has a cage on it but I don’t understand the Wayne Gretzky’s out there that play without any face protection whatsoever. In the NHL you’re getting paid. This is clearly not the NHL. :LOL:

In the NHL you’re getting paid. This is clearly not the NHL. :LOL:
[/QUOTE]

At this point of my life, it's not even Hillsey Pond.

Used to, but once the kids were born I just changed my schedule a bit, but I miss coaching, playing and being at the rink!

I keep telling myself I'm going to but it doesn't happen until like 10PM where I am and I just don't want to get home that late lol

Most of our games are anywhere from 9:30-11:00pm. It’s rough at times. There’s some guys I play with that have to be up at 4-5am for work the next day. I could see how that wouldn’t fly for most people.

Used to, but once the kids were born I just changed my schedule a bit, but I miss coaching, playing and being at the rink!

On the bright side though, that could mean more golf!:cool:

We got lucky with there NHL team in the city. Before that, there was nothing.

Haha, believe me I’ve seen it happen. Concussions, broken hands, pucks to unprotected areas, the list goes on. I wear a pretty nice helmet that has a cage on it but I don’t understand the Wayne Gretzky’s out there that play without any face protection whatsoever. In the NHL you’re getting paid. This is clearly not the NHL. :LOL:
The rec league I played in, you had to at least wear a visor. I tried that route and got tired of constantly having to wipe splattered sweat off it, went with the cage. Better protection anyway, I like my teeth and would rather keep them! I took enough pucks and sticks to the cage that convinced me I made the right decision.

Injuries definitely happen, but the fun made it more than worth the risk. Even in a no-check league, contact still happens. Call it whatever you want, but when two or three guys go into the corner after a puck, it can get a little rough in there.

The rec league I played in, you had to at least wear a visor. I tried that route and got tired of constantly having to wipe splattered sweat off it, went with the cage. Better protection anyway, I like my teeth and would rather keep them! I took enough pucks and sticks to the cage that convinced me I made the right decision.

Injuries definitely happen, but the fun made it more than worth the risk. Even in a no-check league, contact still happens. Call it whatever you want, but when two or three guys go into the corner after a puck, it can get a little rough in there.

Without a doubt! My first actual game I took 2 pucks to the cage while playing defense in front of the net in the same shift. Made me realize I wouldn’t go without face protection. Our league is non-checking by nature but contact happens regardless. Especially on skates with varying skill level.

Absolutely! It’s what keeps me sane during the winter...

Good stuff! What kind of twig are you playing with these days?
Funny story. I went to the ProjectX Experience in San Diego last fall and as part of the fun they hosted True-Lympics. Consisted of farthest hit baseball, hardest lacrosse shot, hardest hockey shot and distance of golf ball.
They have an amazing facility there with R&D and the hockey side of things is no exception. So we got to use their test facilities for this competition. First time I’d ever used a True hockey stick and wow did the puck ever explode off the blade!
So lately, I’ve been using a True XC-9. I also like the CCM JetSpeed and Bauer Nexus 2N.
There are a couple photos in the Experience thread of their facility and me taking shots.

Funny story. I went to the ProjectX Experience in San Diego last fall and as part of the fun they hosted True-Lympics. Consisted of farthest hit baseball, hardest lacrosse shot, hardest hockey shot and distance of golf ball.
They have an amazing facility there with R&D and the hockey side of things is no exception. So we got to use their test facilities for this competition. First time I’d ever used a True hockey stick and wow did the puck ever explode off the blade!
So lately, I’ve been using a True XC-9. I also like the CCM JetSpeed and Bauer Nexus 2N.
There are a couple photos in the Experience thread of their facility and me taking shots.

Talk about a quality vacation haha. True hockey sticks are nice. Very lightweight without giving up structural integrity. I just picked up some CCM JetSpeed skates that are awesome but I’m loving this Bauer Vapor stick that I’ve been using. Haven’t summed up the courage to drop big bills on a Nexus yet.

It's been so long since I played that Easton carbon fiber sticks with replaceable blades were the new thing at the time, most everybody was still playing one-piece wood sticks. I can't even imagine what the new equipment is like nowadays!

It's been so long since I played that Easton carbon fiber sticks with replaceable blades were the new thing at the time, most everybody was still playing one-piece wood sticks. I can't even imagine what the new equipment is like nowadays!

Speaking of Easton sticks, I find this to be quite comical.

6616597C-32D8-4C5D-9080-9789982A96A1.jpeg

Talk about a quality vacation haha. True hockey sticks are nice. Very lightweight without giving up structural integrity. I just picked up some CCM JetSpeed skates that are awesome but I’m loving this Bauer Vapor stick that I’ve been using. Haven’t summed up the courage to drop big bills on a Nexus yet.

Project X - 2019 Live Thread

Yep, gear is not cheap! But stuff now sure does perform!!

I've been playing men's league for almost 15 years. I played hockey for the first time in pickup games in my late 20s, and joined a league in my mid 30s. My son turns 18 this fall, so I'm hoping to get him a full time spot on my team once he's eligible. He's subbed for us a few times in the past, but had to stay under the radar for being underage and also way too good.

My league usually has games start anywhere from 9-11pm. Not bad on a Friday, but pretty much sucks on a Sunday. Summer season is better. Without youth or school leagues taking as much ice we start between 7-10pm.

For you guys talking sticks, you should definitely check out the high end Sherwood stuff. They're just as good or better than Bauer, CCM, or Warrior, but they are only about 2/3 of the price. And of course buy last year's model on clearance.

Still play. I'm 45 and we play 38 games over the winter plus a tournament. We have a beer fridge in our dressing room and it usually is empty before people leave... Whats funny due to the beer fridge in our dressing room, I usually get home later after home games than away games.
Been playing since I was 3.

I have been playing at Chelsea piers in NYC for over 20 years. I play Sundays as early as 5:30 till as late as 11:30. I love playing in my league, it is with a great group of guys. I wear the fish bowl and value my teeth more then looking cool on the ice. I love golf but hockey is hands down the best sport on earth.

For you guys talking sticks, you should definitely check out the high end Sherwood stuff. They're just as good or better than Bauer, CCM, or Warrior, but they are only about 2/3 of the price. And of course buy last year's model on clearance.
I used to use Sherwood when I played junior, but that was out of obligation. Not bad stuff... my old Sherwood composites have the True Sports stamping and I get a kick out of it. Lots of guys here really like the REKKER line.

Been 2 years since I played my last beer league game. Still try to get out for some local clinics and stick times just to shoot around at least...miss it.

One team I used to play for our games were always 10-11pm starts(Tuesday or Thursday nights). I remember one game that was an 11 on a Thursday, we had a guy take an awkward fall and dislocated his shoulder. EMT’s had no idea what they were doing and I’m like the guy has a history of dislocated shoulder and just look at his arm, it’s obviously dislocated(I’m a chiropractor so I’ve seen a few I’m the past). They keep arguing with me like it could be a fracture, separation, yada yada. And I’m like, ok, even if it’s any of those things, there’s nothing you can do about it here and neither of you have experience resetting a dislocation anyways so take him to the ER already!!! It took them over an hour to finally decide to take the poor guy to the ER(and it was a dislocated shoulder fwiw) and I didn’t get home until 2.
Needless to say, I stopped playing for that team after that season lol.

Still Have my OG True 5.2 and 6.0’s. Love them. I’m annoyed that now that I’ve stopped playing, they started making 70 flex adult sticks. My fav twig has been the Supreme T1 intermediate 75 flex. Shattered it on a one timer on my 10th game or so...durability was not it’s strong suit.

Played for years.
Getting expensive being a gear ***** for golf and hockey!

Indeed it does! 😂 Our session/season fees are $225 and that’s for 12 games + 3 playoff rounds if you make it that far. Pairing that with golf tee times and gear for both, it racks up suickly

Still play. I'm 45 and we play 38 games over the winter plus a tournament. We have a beer fridge in our dressing room and it usually is empty before people leave... Whats funny due to the beer fridge in our dressing room, I usually get home later after home games than away games.
Been playing since I was 3.

That’s a lot of games. We only get 12 regular season games once per week plus the playoffs. Some guys in higher divisions will play for multiple teams but that gets really expensive. The Blue Jackets own the rinks in our area and rules are a bit more strict so drinking in the locker room doesn’t happen much, but parking lot most definitely.

Been 2 years since I played my last beer league game. Still try to get out for some local clinics and stick times just to shoot around at least...miss it.

One team I used to play for our games were always 10-11pm starts(Tuesday or Thursday nights). I remember one game that was an 11 on a Thursday, we had a guy take an awkward fall and dislocated his shoulder. EMT’s had no idea what they were doing and I’m like the guy has a history of dislocated shoulder and just look at his arm, it’s obviously dislocated(I’m a chiropractor so I’ve seen a few I’m the past). They keep arguing with me like it could be a fracture, separation, yada yada. And I’m like, ok, even if it’s any of those things, there’s nothing you can do about it here and neither of you have experience resetting a dislocation anyways so take him to the ER already!!! It took them over an hour to finally decide to take the poor guy to the ER(and it was a dislocated shoulder fwiw) and I didn’t get home until 2.
Needless to say, I stopped playing for that team after that season lol.

Still Have my OG True 5.2 and 6.0’s. Love them. I’m annoyed that now that I’ve stopped playing, they started making 70 flex adult sticks. My fav twig has been the Supreme T1 intermediate 75 flex. Shattered it on a one timer on my 10th game or so...durability was not it’s strong suit.

That is craziness. I’m sure everyone has either experienced or witnessed an injury while playing hockey. Last April I got blindsided in a helmet to helmet hit that I had to go to the ER for. Concussion of course. Really debated quitting playing after that because I am just playing for fun.

I have a 67 flex Bauer Vapor that I am using now. Pretty light but also holds up well. Anything over 75 for me is just too much.

Back