Beer League Hockey

Indeed it does! 😂 Our session/season fees are $225 and that’s for 12 games + 3 playoff rounds if you make it that far. Pairing that with golf tee times and gear for both, it racks up suickly

That’s a lot of games. We only get 12 regular season games once per week plus the playoffs. Some guys in higher divisions will play for multiple teams but that gets really expensive. The Blue Jackets own the rinks in our area and rules are a bit more strict so drinking in the locker room doesn’t happen much, but parking lot most definitely.
I play all year. Summer season is 12 games plus single elimination playoffs for about $200. Winter is 20 games plus round robin playoffs for about $350. We also play an annual weekend tournament/drunkfest (4 games in 3 days). If you don't drink in the locker room, where does your team cooler go?

That is craziness. I’m sure everyone has either experienced or witnessed an injury while playing hockey. Last April I got blindsided in a helmet to helmet hit that I had to go to the ER for. Concussion of course. Really debated quitting playing after that because I am just playing for fun.
The scariest thing I ever saw was when a teammate was hit from behind and struck the top of his head on the boards. He was face-down, not moving, and screaming in pain. It took 25 minutes for an ambulance to arrive, by which time he had settled down and left the ice on his own. Turns out he had fractured two vertebrae in his neck.

The "funniest" injury was when a friend broke his ankle. He had someone at the rink to drive him to the hospital, and he wasn't in too much pain, all things considered. But there was no wheelchair available. We rolled him to the parking lot in an old office chair, still wearing full equipment.

I actually got into golf because of my beer league hockey team. I grew up skating and played a bit in college, then joined a beer league team after and I've been playing with them since.

A few of the guys got out and played golf together on occasion, and the opportunity to spend some more time with the boys, drinkin' beers, etc. appealed to me, so I picked up a set of clubs and hit the range to practice. About a year later now, and I'm completely addicted and thankful to have golf while hockey is shutdown with COVID.

I played until I was 50!
The aches and pains took too long to go away, and the ice times we were getting were later and later. Getting up at 4am was tough. And the costs were escalating. The wife said pick one hickey or golf (equipment) what did I pick?
I really miss the hockey. Still have my skates, gloves, and sticks

I started hockey at the age of 4 playing all through school and then once I joined a league with some of my high school buddies I found that the "older" guys took it way too serious for my liking. I'm competitive and I love hockey but I now do it for fun and it was getting to the point where it just wasn't fun anymore. That on top of my son being born, on top of games starting either at 10 or 11:30 on a Wednesday or Thursday with needing to be at work by 5....was easy to call it quits. Still love the game and golf has scratched the itch for sports.

Missing my beer league hockey games during this mess. We were scheduled to play in the championship game and they shut down the rink at noon the day of. We are still hoping to play that game whenever they open it back up. Zoom poker tourney's with the guys on Tuesday nights have helped fill the void a little bit. At least gives us a reason to hangout and have a few beers. Not that a it is hard to find a reason.

Feel bad for my son, his end of year hockey banquet got cancelled and there was no spring hockey or tryouts. No idea what is going to happen with youth hockey as I've heard and read varying opinions from state to state. Hopefully it can return they way it was.

I found that the "older" guys took it way too serious for my liking.
That's funny. My team usually says it's the younger guys that take it too serious. All a matter of perspective I guess. In my league it's usually the gym class heroes between 25-35 that cause the issues. Most of my team is over 45. But every team (including mine) has that one guy that just pisses everyone off. No, it's not me. At least I don't think so.

Missing my beer league hockey games during this mess. We were scheduled to play in the championship game and they shut down the rink at noon the day of. We are still hoping to play that game whenever they open it back up. Zoom poker tourney's with the guys on Tuesday nights have helped fill the void a little bit. At least gives us a reason to hangout and have a few beers. Not that a it is hard to find a reason.

Feel bad for my son, his end of year hockey banquet got cancelled and there was no spring hockey or tryouts. No idea what is going to happen with youth hockey as I've heard and read varying opinions from state to state. Hopefully it can return they way it was.
We were in our playoff semis when things shut down. My team is doing the same thing. As my golf buddy said, you're basically just sitting in front of your computer drinking. But at least it's something to do.

My son is done with youth hockey. He could play 1 more year of 18u but doesn't want to as a college student. I heard that in NY they are planning to give all kids an automatic release and they can sign with any organization in June, with no tryouts. His HS team lost in state quarterfinals the week before everything closed, so at least he got to finish the season.

That's funny. My team usually says it's the younger guys that take it too serious. All a matter of perspective I guess. In my league it's usually the gym class heroes between 25-35 that cause the issues. Most of my team is over 45. But every team (including mine) has that one guy that just pisses everyone off. No, it's not me. At least I don't think so.

We were in our playoff semis when things shut down. My team is doing the same thing. As my golf buddy said, you're basically just sitting in front of your computer drinking. But at least it's something to do.

My son is done with youth hockey. He could play 1 more year of 18u but doesn't want to as a college student. I heard that in NY they are planning to give all kids an automatic release and they can sign with any organization in June, with no tryouts. His HS team lost in state quarterfinals the week before everything closed, so at least he got to finish the season.
Lol, having played for over 6 different beer league teams and subbed for several, that couldn’t be any more true.

I must have had a similar birthday as your son and played an extra year post high-school. It was a blast and lots of memories. Hopefully he reconsiders (although could go club route depending on school). We miss hockey everyday in my house.

Any word on if your leagues are going to begin playing again?

There is a tentative plan in place for us to start back up here in about 2-3 weeks but we are being told that we basically have to show up to the rink "ready to play" and that we must leave within 15 minutes of our game ending. No locker rooms are allowed to be used to prevent everyone congregating As if the bench is much different but whatever. So I'm not sure how this is going to work.

There is a tentative plan in place for us to start back up here in about 2-3 weeks but we are being told that we basically have to show up to the rink "ready to play" and that we must leave within 15 minutes of our game ending. No locker rooms are allowed to be used to prevent everyone congregating As if the bench is much different but whatever. So I'm not sure how this is going to work.
Nope, we’re done until next season...

We keep getting told we're starting in 3 weeks or so, and it keeps getting pushed back. They really don't want to just come out and officially cancel because then they would have to pay teams back for unplayed games.

We keep getting told we're starting in 3 weeks or so, and it keeps getting pushed back. They really don't want to just come out and officially cancel because then they would have to pay teams back for unplayed games.

Do you have to register with USA Hockey to be able to play in your league?

Yes, but not sure why. Like much of what USA hockey does, there's no real benefit.

I agree and they charge like $45 a year for it. I doubt we'll get a prorated discount for next year for the hockey most of us have missed.

I agree and they charge like $45 a year for it. I doubt we'll get a prorated discount for next year for the hockey most of us have missed.
We have to register with Hockey Canada as well... we will have to renew next year with no prorated dues.

We just got word that league games should be starting back June 15th, pending the state health department's approval. Limited ice time starting the 1st for stick & puck's, private lessons and rink rentals. Our team captain runs 3 teams and just rented out a few hours of ice time.

It’s primarily to protect the rink from liability. Any rink in the US that is affiliated with USA Hockey requires the “insurance” for players and coaches. Not all rinks are affiliated with USA Hockey though.

It’s primarily to protect the rink from liability. Any rink in the US that is affiliated with USA Hockey requires the “insurance” for players and coaches. Not all rinks are affiliated with USA Hockey though.

They are also suppose to provide additional coverage to players in event of injury as well. Last year I got blindsided with a helmet to helmet hit that gave me a concussion and there's not much they'd to help cover the $5,000 in medical bills.

They are also suppose to provide additional coverage to players in event of injury as well. Last year I got blindsided with a helmet to helmet hit that gave me a concussion and there's not much they'd to help cover the $5,000 in medical bills.
Yup, I feel bad for those who are duped into thinking this is some sort of accident health insurance to help them with medical bills due to injury. I know several people who sustained fairly significant injuries and were under the impression they’d get some help with USA Hockey “insurance”. None of them received a dime in help and unfortunately a few of them didn’t have any kind of health insurance at the time.

I play all year. Summer season is 12 games plus single elimination playoffs for about $200. Winter is 20 games plus round robin playoffs for about $350. We also play an annual weekend tournament/drunkfest (4 games in 3 days). If you don't drink in the locker room, where does your team cooler go?

The scariest thing I ever saw was when a teammate was hit from behind and struck the top of his head on the boards. He was face-down, not moving, and screaming in pain. It took 25 minutes for an ambulance to arrive, by which time he had settled down and left the ice on his own. Turns out he had fractured two vertebrae in his neck.

The "funniest" injury was when a friend broke his ankle. He had someone at the rink to drive him to the hospital, and he wasn't in too much pain, all things considered. But there was no wheelchair available. We rolled him to the parking lot in an old office chair, still wearing full equipment.

Oh man! Was the guy ok with the broken vertebrae?

That must have been pretty funny rolling in an office chair. How do you break an ankle in hockey? I thought the boots were really stiff for support? I've work ice skates once but I don't think they're the same as hockey skates.

Oh man! Was the guy ok with the broken vertebrae?

That must have been pretty funny rolling in an office chair. How do you break an ankle in hockey? I thought the boots were really stiff for support? I've work ice skates once but I don't think they're the same as hockey skates.
The neck guy was ok in the long run, although now (years later) he still has some soreness and stiffness. He missed about 8 weeks of work, and was in a neck brace for another 6 weeks. The ankle guy slid into the boards feet first. The blade of his skate was wedged in right where the boards meet the ice. Momentum forced his foot and ankle upward as the rest of his body was falling. He broke several bones and tore ligaments, and needed surgery with a bunch of screws and plates put in. Eventually he made a full recovery, but doesn't play hockey anymore. Neck guy still plays.

The neck guy was ok in the long run, although now (years later) he still has some soreness and stiffness. He missed about 8 weeks of work, and was in a neck brace for another 6 weeks. The ankle guy slid into the boards feet first. The blade of his skate was wedged in right where the boards meet the ice. Momentum forced his foot and ankle upward as the rest of his body was falling. He broke several bones and tore ligaments, and needed surgery with a bunch of screws and plates put in. Eventually he made a full recovery, but doesn't play hockey anymore. Neck guy still plays.
Awesome neck guy made it with occasional soreness. It could have been so much worse.

And ankle guy. Man, that's terrible to hear. And having to quit hockey. Oof.:cry:

Our games officially start back Monday the 15th! Looking forward to it. I've gained a few (well, more than a few) pounds during the COVID situation so I'm about to be like a beached whale out there. o_O

Back