the19thgreen

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Hey guys, new member here (but I have lurked a little bit). So heres the story. I have golf experience, even though it is very little (driving range with my dad for 15 years with a little course action added in). I have decided to play more seriously now and would like to pick up a set of decent clubs. Not looking for something too expensive, but want something that isnt junk. I play hockey, so I know that one can pick up last years models equipment for a significantly discounted price. Is this true with golf? Can I also assume that you are better off piecing your clubs together, as opposed to purchasing "clubs in a box"? Thanks
Chris

Nickent's Irons and Hybrids are solid clubs on the cheap. I have the hybrids and they're nice. The Nike Dymo 3W is pretty cheap right now on RockBottom Golf and there are a lot of wedge, putter, and driver options. Your budget really dictates a lot though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking to spend no more than $250-$275 on a set of irons and no more than $200 on my driver and putter. I guess I will need something fairly forgiving?

eBay is your best bet. Can get a good set of gi irons in that range..x22 for example

In my opinion ebay is not your best bet. Sure some money saved, but as a beginner, you want to deal with a store and an authorized seller in case their are some issues.

Check out the Nickent 4DX set of irons. You should be able to get them for less than $250 right now and they are packed with technology, look good, and have great forgiveness. You can also deck yourself out with their 4DX driver for about $75 right now and then put the money saved to lessons. This same driver was $300 just a few months ago.

In my opinion ebay is not your best bet. Sure some money saved, but as a beginner, you want to deal with a store and an authorized seller in case their are some issues.

Agree with this. Ebay can be great when you know exactly what you want and saving money is your primary concern. When you already know your budget and are looking for value and advise then a knowledgable salesman/dealer is the way to go.

Check out the Nickent 4DX set of irons. You should be able to get them for less than $250 right now and they are packed with technology, look good, and have great forgiveness. You can also deck yourself out with their 4DX driver for about $75 right now and then put the money saved to lessons. This same driver was $300 just a few months ago.

I'm with JB here. You can find some great deals on the Nickent gear right now, and the 4DX line (irons & drivers) were some great clubs! For hybrids, you may want to try for either 3DX RC or 5DX as high handicaps have had better luck with those than the 4DX hybrids.

If I were to recommend, I'd say track down some 4DX CB irons and if the set comes w/4DX hybrids still pick it up or piece in other hybrids if they are not included - if you want hybrids. Track down a 4DX driver and maybe fairways if you need 'em. And test putters that fit your remaining budget till you find the one that works best for you.

Another vote for the Nickent 4DX CB's. Bought mine a few months ago for $129 and I'm liking them way better than the Adams irons I had before.

This is great advice. I picked up my Nickents for $189.00 at Dallas Golf online. I love them and the quality is amazing.

Just to throw out another option:

Wilson Staff irons can be found pretty cheap. The Ci7 and Di7 sets are out there for a great price right now. No matter what you are looking at, take some time to demo them all first.

Another vote for the Nickents.

Good luck finding a set locally in that price range, that's why I said ebay. Nothing around here for less than $400 unless you order online.

A couple other options:

1) Check craigslist... sometimes you can find a good deal there
2) I got my first set from Pinemeadow Golf. Prices are reasonable and they were not bad for a first set.

You can get a great set of Adams off rockbottom for around 200.00. eBay is great. But make sure u check sellers history carefully.

I suggest you check out used clubs at GlobalGolf.com. They have some decent deals that would be great for a beginner, e.g.,

-- Nike Victory Red Full Cavity @ $289
-- Taylormade R7 @ $249
-- Callaway x18 @ $225
-- and my favorite, Ping Eye 2 @ $199 (It's a 20+ year-old golf club, but you'll be surprised how good it is)

Also, for drivers, check out the Callaway and Taylormade preowned sites.

You can find golf clubs for a fair price in a store. Don't let anybody convince you that it's not possible. Right now, Dick's and Sports Authority are selling Adams a3OS iron sets for 299.99. They include 3 hybrids in the set. At least take some time to hit a few sets at a store before just blindly buying something online. I've been where you are and I wish that I had taken that advice.

Also, many smaller stores have used sets. Assuming they are in ok shape, you can get a great deal on a set. Nothing wrong with used equipment.

I appreciate all of the help guys! I will check out the Nickents and the Adams for sure. I will be in Myrtle Beach for a week on vacation and can't wait to hit all of the golf stores :D

You gonna play at Bradford Creek when you get some clubs? I played that course 100 times when I was in college out there. Ironwood is nice too!!

You gonna play at Bradford Creek when you get some clubs? I played that course 100 times when I was in college out there. Ironwood is nice too!!

Hopefully! I need to get some practice at the range in first haha

Should I be looking at full cavity irons since I am a beginner, or will "full" cavity give me too much of a handicap?

Id suggest going to Target and buying a set of Top-Flite clubs. They should cost you $200-$300. They wont be the greatest clubs in the world, but they will be enough to last you at least 5 years to the point where you will know whether you like this game enough to invest $1500 or more in a set of name brand clubs.

Id suggest going to Target and buying a set of Top-Flite clubs. They should cost you $200-$300. They wont be the greatest clubs in the world, but they will be enough to last you at least 5 years to the point where you will know whether you like this game enough to invest $1500 or more in a set of name brand clubs.

i disagree.(not trying to start an argument just saying my opinion)
you can pick up a set of nickents or adams irons for the same price or cheaper and they are a lot better.

I love the game, so I know I am going to stick with it. Ive hit golf balls since I was 5 so I have no intentions on giving up on the sport. Im going to Martins sometime next week, so I will check out the Adams and the Nickents (as well as whatever else I find in that huge store :D)

I love the game, so I know I am going to stick with it. Ive hit golf balls since I was 5 so I have no intentions on giving up on the sport. Im going to Martins sometime next week, so I will check out the Adams and the Nickents (as well as whatever else I find in that huge store :D)

You probably won't find the Nickents. They have been out of biz for a while now. I agree with Bridges. I went that whole starter set route a couple of years ago. I didn't know if I would like the game. I wish I would have bought a set of Adams or Nickent then. Even the bag was junk on my starter set.

Back