Beginner golf club advice needed

Jmarshall5991

Reaction score
Beginner advice needed

Hey everyone, I’m not sure if this is the correct place to ask this or not but here it goes. I’m a beginner golfer that has a set of old Wilson Strokemaster 3-9 irons that are in decently good condition but the grips really need to be replaced. I found a set of Titleist 735CM 3-pw irons in fair condition that have original grips which look better than mine but the owner would suggest replacing the grips on them as well. The Titleist clubs are available for $160 and regripping would be around $140. My issue is I don’t know if i should replace the grips on the irons i have, buy the Titleist to see how the grips hold up and replace if necessary, or just wait until the off season for a better deal. Ideally i’d like to have a set this season to get lessons with but it’s not the biggest deal if I have to wait. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Beginner advice needed

Hey everyone, I’m not sure if this is the correct place to ask this or not but here it goes. I’m a beginner golfer that has a set of old Wilson Strokemaster 3-9 irons that are in decently good condition but the grips really need to be replaced. I found a set of Titleist 735CM 3-pw irons in fair condition that have original grips which look better than mine but the owner would suggest replacing the grips on them as well. The Titleist clubs are available for $160 and regripping would be around $140. My issue is I don’t know if i should replace the grips on the irons i have, buy the Titleist to see how the grips hold up and replace if necessary, or just wait until the off season for a better deal. Ideally i’d like to have a set this season to get lessons with but it’s not the biggest deal if I have to wait. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
Where the grip is your only connection to the club and is, imo, a very important part in your equipment, I would regrip whichever set you use.

:welcome:

I can't help you much about the clubs, I'm not familiar with the ones you've mentioned, but you might try regripping yourself. It's really easy, lots of instructional videos around, I think even some here on THP, and it would definitely save you a bit of cash.

Beginner advice needed

Honestly... both sets of irons mentioned sound difficult to hit for a beginner... I’d really consider looking at some deep cavity backs or other game improvement irons...

Aren’t these cavity back? And i would regrip either set in the end, mainly asking if the Titlest clubs are a better option/good deal. Thanks for all the replies! Really appreciate the feedback

Attachments

• BEAA0A0D-4476-4CA4-9E6B-C8EA89C113A1.png
    BEAA0A0D-4476-4CA4-9E6B-C8EA89C113A1.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 21
I'd buy the Titleist clubs and give the grips a real thorough cleaning. I'd also buy a pair of batting gloves ($12) to help with the holding on to the club issue.

You're a beginner. Not need to break the bank right off the bat. More than likely, as most beginner golfers do, if you stay with the game, you're going to want to buy your own set of new clubs in the not to distance future.

With a little You Tube, or book instruction, you can learn real quick on how to reprip clubs. Use you other set to practice on.

Also welcome to the game. Enjoy your journey.

Welcome to THP. Lots of great folks on here and excellent advice!

I concur with DaveGolfer15. Your money would be better spent if you purchase a beginner set of clubs for $200-250. They would be easier to hit and will come with new grips.

In the alternative, I would stick to what you got and learn to regrip yourself. It is very easy (just learned myself how to do-a lot of youtube videos to help). go with the golfpride TourVelvet grip for $6 a piece - and it will cost you under $60 to do it yourself - $42 for the grips, and the golf grip kit (on Amazon) for about $16 - which comes with the solvent, grip tape, hook blade, and rubber vice clamp - all you really need.

Then go out there and practice and take lessons. After a couple years, switch to a better set of golf clubs.

Aren’t these cavity back? And i would regrip either set in the end, mainly asking if the Titlest clubs are a better option/good deal. Thanks for all the replies! Really appreciate the feedback
They are cavity backs, yes. And they’re superb golf clubs. It’s just you’re not doing yourself any favours in the forgiveness stakes. They’re quite a few years old and intended as more of a ‘players’ iron. Maybe I’m overthinking it, the Titleist are great clubs, scrub them up and if the grips aren’t tacky when you hit the range then you’ll have to change them. Enjoy your golf 😀.

Thanks so much everyone! Just joined this forum and I can already tell this is an amazing group of people! Looking forward to progressing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If those 2 sets are your only options, I'd go with the Titleists
Thanks so much everyone! Just joined this forum and I can already tell this is an amazing group of people! Looking forward to progressing

Welcome aboard!

I started over a year ago and was looking for cheaper clubs, trying to upgrade from my 8 year old Ram G-Force boxed set.

I 100% recommend the Maltby STi2 from Golf Works. For $200 you will get a good, new, forgiving set of irons with new Lamkin grips. I learned about Maltby on these forums and they particularly interested me because you can customize them for free (I am 6'4"). I've put over 50 rounds on them and improved by over 15 strokes on my handicap. I am looking to possibly get fitted this year, but these have been great clubs for me to learn a consistent swing on and improve.

I’ll check those out, thanks! Deciding on golf clubs is becoming overwhelming lol

I’ll check those out, thanks! Deciding on golf clubs is becoming overwhelming lol

Here is a large thread on Maltby if you want to learn more on people's experiences and opinions.

Any other good beginner club threads to check out? Going through this myself currently.

I know I heard good things about Wilson profile SGI clubs. Comes with 10.5° Driver, #5 Fairway Wood, #5 Hybrid, Irons: #6, 7, 8, 9, Pitching Wedge, Sand Wedge, Putter, Carry Bag for $420. I think i’m gonna pick that up for my partner as they have nothing

Back