Beginner - One Lenght Iron questions

MamboJoe

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a mid 40's beginner (6'2). Took the game late in life. Been practicing with a borrowed Ping g5 set (+1 in in length) for 3 months but I really have only been practicing with a 7-iron....started with a dozen lessons with 2 different instructors and just stuck with a 7-iron to get consistent. After 3 months I have been averaging about 148-154 yds with the 7 Iron consistently and my dispersion has improved. Been wanting to get my first Set and one of my instructors suggested I start with Single Length Irons now that I have got a "somewhat" consistent swing with my 7-iron as it should make my life easier transitioning to other club lengths specially as a beginner player.

I have been researching and it looks like there are only 3 manufactures making these irons...Cobra, Edel and Wishon. Money is not a variable I'm concerned with between these 3, so please remove this variable from your suggestions. Clearly the Edel's a much more expensive than the other two. But my question is related to the different approach from these 3 manufacturers.

I have noticed that Cobra's Single Length offerings have variable Lie Angles through the set, while Wishon and Edel keep them constant. I'm just a no-nothing beginner, but doesn't different lie angles defeats the purpose of the "same swing" for all the irons in your set?

I'm trying to keep it simple, so should I just focus on a Wishon or Edel set? My worry with the Edel SLS is that it is a smaller head than the other two and I'm just not ready for that.....I might have a hard time being consistent....

Based on their websites both Wishon and Edel have fitters in my area (it looks like they are very specific about the fitters) while Cobra's fitters in their website are mainly the big box stores...

Any suggestions on what your approach to selection of Single Length Irons would be if you were a beginner like me?

Thank you in advance!

cobra's used to have the same lie angle. Their feedback/research led to the inverse lie angle progression they have now. In short, people swing a bit harder/different when they want to hit the ball further despite being the "same swing". From the feedback around here it seems to have been an improvement.

I will soon be moving into a set of the Cobra Radspeed OL irons. Cobra is devoting a lot of time and resources into continuously improving their OL options while it seems the others are just doing the same old thing and relying on old tech. As for shafts, the others can't compare to the options Cobra offers as both stock and upcharge offerings. JMHO 😎

Oh and :welcome:. 😎

Welcome to THP.

Back