JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2019 Morgan Cup has been announced as returning and the MVP from last year is one of the captains, voted on by his previous teammates.

If you are unaware of what the Morgan Cup is, it is a weekend of golf at an incredible resort, where each of the THPers in attendance is fully sponsored by Cobra and PUMA Golf. 13 club deal, apparel scripting, golf bag and all of the accessories that are to be reviewed by each participant.

Here is the question we pose to THPers as we move towards putting out more info on this incredible event.

1. THP chooses the captain based on three simple factors. Content, Activity and Rule #1 (Don't be a Dick)
2. We open it up to everybody that is an Albatross Club Member to submit something short and sweet and we let THP and Cobra/PUMA Golf decide based on those.

We ask for your input and please do not put "I dont care either way sounds good". We genuinely are interested in your feedback, but also keep in mind, it will be one of these 2 options. So in asking, please don't say "Option 3, I get to be captain" or "my closest buddy THPer Sir Trolio deserves it".

Thanks everybody, looking forward to your feedback.

The 2019 Morgan Cup has been announced as returning and the MVP from last year is one of the captains, voted on by his previous teammates.

If you are unaware of what the Morgan Cup is, it is a weekend of golf at an incredible resort, where each of the THPers in attendance is fully sponsored by Cobra and PUMA Golf. 13 club deal, apparel scripting, golf bag and all of the accessories that are to be reviewed by each participant.

Here is the question we pose to THPers as we move towards putting out more info on this incredible event.

1. THP chooses the captain based on three simple factors. Content, Activity and Rule #1 (Don't be a Dick)
2. We open it up to everybody that is an Albatross Club Member to submit something short and sweet and we let THP and Cobra/PUMA Golf decide based on those.

We ask for your input and please do not put "I dont care either way sounds good". We genuinely are interested in your feedback, but also keep in mind, it will be one of these 2 options. So in asking, please don't say "Option 3, I get to be captain" or "my closest buddy THPer Sir Trolio deserves it".

Thanks everybody, looking forward to your feedback.

Always love a contest and being part of this years MC and seeing how special it was to Freddie and Jake will be something I will never forget.....so for me I choose option 2.

Such a privilege to take part of the MC and cannot wait to see who joins in 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think option 2 is really cool. One of the cool things about THP is the relationships with companies and I think that brings another dynamic to the relationship.

Being a Captain for a team in the Morgan Cup would be a MASSIVE honor and I can't think of a better way to fill that spot next to jdtox than with every AC member submitting something short and sweet and let THP and Cobra/Puma decide on the captain. I go with option #2!!

• Admin
I select option 3. Me.

Bring it, jdtox.

#Rulebreaker

With the current state of my game it wouldn't even be a fair fight. I'd get TexasHackered :alien:

Definitely interested in the responses here...

While option 2 could be fun, I think option 1 is more appropriate for this event. THP has a handle on who meets the 3 factors more so than Cobra would from responses to a contest...I think??

A Morgan Cup a captain shouldn't just be someone who can type up a nice response for a contest. It should be someone the forum can get behind and want to play for

I like Option 2, gives newer members who may have limited content contribution/activity a chance to impress THP/Cobra/PUMA

Edit: After reading jdtox's response, he sure does make a compelling argument for Option 1.

While option 2 could be fun, I think option 1 is more appropriate for this event. THP has a handle on who meets the 3 factors more so than Cobra would from responses to a contest...I think??

A Morgan Cup a captain shouldn't just be someone who can type up a nice response for a contest. It should be someone the forum can get behind and want to play for

I agree with this. Let the captains be overly present so that when it comes down to selection time, those who are on the forum get to play for someone who is familiar.

Option 1. That's more in-line with how I view the MC historically and I think that it helps to have well established members both participating and leading the team.

Option 2 - I believe Cobra/PUMA should be involved in the decision side-by-side the THP Staff. The fun part will be the "something short and sweet" submission. I'd like to see that 'something' be a little different than 'Why would you want to be caption" or "What does the MC mean to you". I'm hoping someone more clever than I, can come up with something clever for the 'something'.

I would go with option 2. I'd love to see what Cobra/Puma values and who they would select as a captain.

#1, not everyone is cut out to be captain.

I am inclined to agree with jdtox here. With the legacy of this event, I think I like #1 better.

Hmm hard to argue with that!

Option 2, it gets the forum more involved and it allows for you guys (THP brass) and Cobra to see who's out there with some ideas or methodologies that would make for a great captain in the greatest amateur event in golf!

Option 2, it gets the forum more involved and it allows for you guys (THP brass) and Cobra to see who's out there with some ideas or methodologies that would make for a great captain in the greatest amateur event in golf!

Dayum.....had I read his response before I typed mine......I probably would have to agree with Captain jdtox here.

Personally I like a combo of both, let THP narrow it down to 5-10 people and then from there let those people fight it out with a short 100 words or less on why they should be captain. I know this might be the easy way out, but there are so many great people here it makes it hard to decide. Just my 2 cents.

I think it should be option 1. If you go with option 2, it increases the risk of breaking Rule #1. Can’t have that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I like a combo of both, let THP narrow it down to 5-10 people and then from there let those people fight it out with a short 100 words or less on why they should be captain. I know this might be the easy way out, but there are so many great people here it makes it hard to decide. Just my 2 cents.

Could flip it around the other way too - everyone gets to throw their hat in the ring, Cobra/Puma can provide their favorites, and that short list can be picked from. My main concern with a big event like this and a position of responsibility is that what people say they'll do isn't always what they'll end up doing.

Wasn't around for the first iterations of the MC but I did enjoy looking back through them, as well as following along with the last two years that I've been a member here. Given the history behind the event, I think option 1 best suits it.

Although I do like the Sir Trolio guy...

Dayum.....had I read his response before I typed mine......I probably would have to agree with Captain jdtox here.

Its a tough choice isn't it? I didn't want to come across as a Dick haha I just thought with the history of the event and such it made more sense that the Captain meet certain criteria.

Back