Being "Stuck": What it means and how to fix it.

JTnumbers

College Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 0.2
Freddie,

I've had an issue recently with getting "stuck" on the downswing. I'm sure alot of other THPer's here struggle with the same issue as I, so i figured I'd start a thread on it.

I know one easy fix to getting stuck is getting the club head outside your hands, but that makes you steeper and causes fades. If you want to hit a draw, this method is a no-go. I've heard many times that hitting a draw should be based on an inside swing path and not your hands. However, when I attempt to do so, at the bottom of my swing, I feel as though I'm going to hit the ball fat. In my specific case, it causes me to slide my hips in order to get out of my own way. For others, it could be trying to get the hands to release through the ball, or what is commonly called a flip.

Today at my driving range session, I focused alot on trying to clear my hips through the ball faster and with more of a conscious spinning motion in order to prevent sliding. However, while I was hitting decent shots, I still felt as though I was stuck at the bottom, which caused me to come over the top on my misses.

My point is this, do you have a drill or a thought to help alleviate the feeling of getting "stuck"? I know it would not only help me, but several people here.

Being "Stuck": What it means and how to fix it.

JT you have more natural talent then most will gain in a life time. I think your biggest hurdle is your mind. It gets in the way of you playing solid golf. That being said your second biggest flaw is your alignment and I think this is what causes you to get stuck.

You have a tendency to aim right and try to hit a draw but end up with a block or straight due to your speed at the ball. Check your lines before each shot and look down the left shoulder before you pull the trigger.

As for the drills I will post later

Last edited:
Could you please explain " look down the left shoulder " , are you using this as an alignment of the shoulder guide , and if so is there a tip on using this method you can share ?

Back