Belly Putter or Standard Length

Lukey719

Reaction score
Handicap
I've always played a standard length putter anywhere from 32" to 35" inches. What do you guys think about Belly Putters? Do you feel that they are cheating?

:popcorn:

never tried one, but they are not appealing to me visually.

Im bringing my new belly putter to the outing.

It's not cheating since the rules allow it. I would support a rule which prohibits anchoring part of the club or a hand controlling the club against the body, belly, chin, etc.

Just me.

It's not cheating since the rules allow it. I would support a rule which prohibits anchoring part of the club or a hand controlling the club against the body, belly, chin, etc.

Just me.

This is my opinion too. I feel like its easier to do that. I just wanted to see how all you guys felt about this subject.

I use a long putter, but I don't brace the putter against any part of my body, I putt like this with it:

maar01_fun_issue_mccord_620.jpg

I use a long putter, but I don't brace the putter against any part of my body, I putt like this with it:

maar01_fun_issue_mccord_620.jpg

ahh the face on appraoch. Slammin Sam Snead did that too back in the day. Growing up, there was this old guy at my home course who putted like that.

ahh the face on appraoch. Slammin Sam Snead did that too back in the day. Growing up, there was this old guy at my home course who putted like that.

Since I've started putting like this I'm 1 or 2 putting alot more holes than I'm 3-4 putting. Even 35-50 footers are landing within 6 ft. of the cup now

i do have one which i tinker with every now and again but will prob wait untill i get a little more used to it before it goes in the bag for good

They're the bestest thing in the whole world.

I don't use them but I dont have anything against using them. Whatever makes you putt better.

meh never-mind...

I've always played a standard length putter anywhere from 32" to 35" inches. What do you guys think about Belly Putters? Do you feel that they are cheating?

They are not cheating because they are not in violation of the rules. I own a 43" belly putter and have used it off and on for past couple of years and I used it for a couple of weeks this spring while working on a putting flaw, but I'm back to a standard 34" in putter now.

If they made them illegal I would not have a problem with it, but until then, play em if you've got em.

I think they go against the spirit of rule 14-3 in that they are "unusual" since they are the only club that can be braced against the body creating a 3 point pivot and they are used in an unusual manner again because it is the only club touched by anything other than the players hands... Why the USGA has chosen not to act on it I have no idea...

From Rule 14-3;
Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an unusual manner:

a. That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play

standard....

I am in the process of building one from a TM Monza Spider Vicino. What I need to figure out is how much I am going to have to change the weights. The putter comes with two 4 grams weights, wondering how much I need to add.

Always been intrigued by this idea - never tried one though

I think they go against the spirit of rule 14-3 in that they are "unusual" since they are the only club that can be braced against the body creating a 3 point pivot and they are used in an unusual manner again because it is the only club touched by anything other than the players hands... Why the USGA has chosen not to act on it I have no idea...

From Rule 14-3;
Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an unusual manner:

a. That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play

This raises a good question. Do you guys think this assists a player in making their stroke or play?

I don't know why this is such an issue. I mean, it's a putter for crying out loud! It's not like wearing your cap backwards! haha

I am in the process of getting one from Seemore. Tried one out after Adam Scott's performance at the Masters and really like it. Going to get one to have around to play around with. Who knows, it could be a good fit. Gaming one of my Seemore's now that was on the shelf for a while. I am loving this putter right now. Makes me wonder why I ever took it out the bag.

I don't know why this is such an issue. I mean, it's a putter for crying out loud! It's not like wearing your cap backwards! haha

Ya, but is it better to go forged or cast? :D

I am in the process of getting one from Seemore. Tried one out after Adam Scott's performance at the Masters and really like it. Going to get one to have around to play around with. Who knows, it could be a good fit. Gaming one of my Seemore's now that was on the shelf for a while. I am loving this putter right now. Makes me wonder why I ever took it out the bag.

Which model are you getting in belly form?

Back