I did a little research and the EDGE EX irons have more offset than Srixon ZX5 and ZX4 irons and Callaway Apex and Apex DCB irons. But, less than the Big Bertha B21s!:oops:

Initial reaction- these are A LOT bigger than I thought they would be. They are every bit of a game improvement iron. I love the overall look. It really is a modern take on the Apex Edge irons of the late 90s-early 00s. My only critique from first viewing is that the undercut cavity isn't fully chromed. But, that is fairly nit-picky.

I'm very curious as to how stable they feel on toe strikes. That seems to be my miss lately and I'm starting to warm up to the idea of going back to more of a "GI" iron.

I'm very curious as to how stable they feel on toe strikes. That seems to be my miss lately and I'm starting to warm up to the idea of going back to more of a "GI" iron.

Looks like I will finally get to hit them Friday! As the toe is my normal miss, I will definitely let you know. There isn’t any tungsten in these like the original PTx/ PTx Pros. But, with all that extra mass…wide sole, thick top line, and the undercut cavity welded to the back, I would have to assume these are very stable, especially towards the heel or toe. Looks wise, they are a game improvement iron. They jumped right into the deep end of the pool with these. I was almost shocked at the size of the club heads. But, they have that classic-classy Hogan retro look.

Finally got a chance to hit the EDGE EX irons in between downpours and the thunderstorms!
Let’s talk about looks first. These are definitely “game improvement” irons! The thicker top line, the wider v-sole, and a generous amount of offset screams forgiveness. It’s not egregious, but most definitely prominent. Larger than the 2018 EDGE irons. When placed behind the ball, I automatically got the feeling that these would be easy to hit and gave me confidence to swing away. That, my swing flaws will be minimized, and results maximized. I would liken the overall club head footprint to a Wilson/Staff D7, Cleveland UHX, or XXIO X Black.
Sound-a different noise from the PTx Pros and ICON irons. Not the expected crispy snap of most Ben Hogan irons. More of a muted “tock” sound. Not as loud and tinny as a lot of modern game improvement/super-game improvement irons, not an un-pleasant noise, but a definite departure from what Hogan loyalists have become accustomed to. Now, I was hitting range balls, so i’m interested in what my gamer ball(Srixon Q-Star Tour) will sound like after being struck by the EDGE EX.
Feel is kind of subjective, I believe. What I feel and what you feel could be two completely different things. This is a tough one for me to quantify. I have to use an oxymoron to describe it…. firm-hollow. You can tell the ball is being impacted by a thick, forged club face, but while swinging the EDGE EX, you get the feeling of a very hollow club head. I’m not sure there is another club out there with the same feel? Maybe the XXIO X Black because it’s forged with a perimeter cavity back/undercut design?(@JDax thoughts?) It’s a big change from the 2018 EDGE that was completely hollow and foam-filled; and felt very soft and pillowy. You really need to hit this iron to understand how it feels.
Performance wise it did exactly what I wanted it to do. It was super easy to hit and get airborne. I had a noticeably lower trajectory. Could be due to the 2° stronger lofts or the True Temper Dynamic Gold shafts or a combination of both. I could make a smoother, more controlled swing and get more distance than my PTx Pro irons. The ball seemed to have a little more energy coming off the face of the EDGE EX irons. I definitely have to relearn my distance gaps again due to increase in distance. Surprisingly, the longer irons (5-6) were a breeze to hit of the mats. I thought I would struggle because I haven’t had a 5 iron in the bag in 2 years. I hit a lot of super straight shots with these or ones that had a draw to them. I don’t remember any that faded out on me.
It can’t be all good news right?!🤷‍♂️ Well, it’s not. The stock Ben Hogan Lamkin Z5 grips are absolute trash! It rained today, was hot and very humid. By the end of the range session, I could hardly hold onto the club anymore. Luckily, I have a set of corded grips ready to be installed!
Overall, the EDGE EX checked all of the boxes I was looking for. More forgiving✔️ Confidence inspiring✔️ Easier to hit✔️ Lower trajectory✔️ More distance✔️ Great Price✔️ Anyone who is a Ben Hogan fan and wants/needs more forgiveness, has to at least demo these irons. My only concern is that these will be relegated to the “underrated” category in 12 months time due to the fact they are not “distance monsters” and they aren’t produced by a “big” OEM. But, they definitely pack some really good performance in a pocketbook friendly package.

Finally got a chance to hit the EDGE EX irons in between downpours and the thunderstorms!
Let’s talk about looks first. These are definitely “game improvement” irons! The thicker top line, the wider v-sole, and a generous amount of offset screams forgiveness. It’s not egregious, but most definitely prominent. Larger than the 2018 EDGE irons. When placed behind the ball, I automatically got the feeling that these would be easy to hit and gave me confidence to swing away. That, my swing flaws will be minimized, and results maximized. I would liken the overall club head footprint to a Wilson/Staff D7, Cleveland UHX, or XXIO X Black.
Sound-a different noise from the PTx Pros and ICON irons. Not the expected crispy snap of most Ben Hogan irons. More of a muted “tock” sound. Not as loud and tinny as a lot of modern game improvement/super-game improvement irons, not an un-pleasant noise, but a definite departure from what Hogan loyalists have become accustomed to. Now, I was hitting range balls, so i’m interested in what my gamer ball(Srixon Q-Star Tour) will sound like after being struck by the EDGE EX.
Feel is kind of subjective, I believe. What I feel and what you feel could be two completely different things. This is a tough one for me to quantify. I have to use an oxymoron to describe it…. firm-hollow. You can tell the ball is being impacted by a thick, forged club face, but while swinging the EDGE EX, you get the feeling of a very hollow club head. I’m not sure there is another club out there with the same feel? Maybe the XXIO X Black because it’s forged with a perimeter cavity back/undercut design?(@JDax thoughts?) It’s a big change from the 2018 EDGE that was completely hollow and foam-filled; and felt very soft and pillowy. You really need to hit this iron to understand how it feels.
Performance wise it did exactly what I wanted it to do. It was super easy to hit and get airborne. I had a noticeably lower trajectory. Could be due to the 2° stronger lofts or the True Temper Dynamic Gold shafts or a combination of both. I could make a smoother, more controlled swing and get more distance than my PTx Pro irons. The ball seemed to have a little more energy coming off the face of the EDGE EX irons. I definitely have to relearn my distance gaps again due to increase in distance. Surprisingly, the longer irons (5-6) were a breeze to hit of the mats. I thought I would struggle because I haven’t had a 5 iron in the bag in 2 years. I hit a lot of super straight shots with these or ones that had a draw to them. I don’t remember any that faded out on me.
It can’t be all good news right?!🤷‍♂️ Well, it’s not. The stock Ben Hogan Lamkin Z5 grips are absolute trash! It rained today, was hot and very humid. By the end of the range session, I could hardly hold onto the club anymore. Luckily, I have a set of corded grips ready to be installed!
Overall, the EDGE EX checked all of the boxes I was looking for. More forgiving✔ Confidence inspiring✔ Easier to hit✔ Lower trajectory✔ More distance✔ Great Price✔ Anyone who is a Ben Hogan fan and wants/needs more forgiveness, has to at least demo these irons. My only concern is that these will be relegated to the “underrated” category in 12 months time due to the fact they are not “distance monsters” and they aren’t produced by a “big” OEM. But, they definitely pack some really good performance in a pocketbook friendly package.
Good stuff, dude.

The edge irons just sat differently with me. Something about the offset. Prefer the players irons with BHG

Yes the Z5 grips are awful. Hogan needs to source something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the Z5 grips are awful. Hogan needs to source something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listen up Hogan!!! Don’t want to spend $105/club and have to replace sh1t grips. Inexcuseable and you’re losing sales..

Count me in the minority....I don't mind the Z5 stock grips. I much prefer that to a stock tour velvet.

Listen up Hogan!!! Don’t want to spend $105/club and have to replace sh1t grips. Inexcuseable and you’re losing sales..

Believe me, they’ve heard it for at least 2yrs

HEAD DIMENSIONS
Blade LengthBlade Height (toe)Topline ThicknessSole WidthOffset
4 Iron (20°)3.1502.1530.3100.669-0.230
6 Iron (28°)3.1502.1940.3100.689-0.207
8 Iron (36°)3.1502.3050.3100.709-0.183
PW (44°)3.1402.3910.3100.729-0.160

Replacing my Ben Hogan Equalizer wedges with Cleveland CBX2 wedges. I think they blend really well!
C5CC7937-E82C-41BF-B8DE-E0615FE61510.jpeg

I use CBX 2 48 & 52 degree with the CBX full face 56 degree wedges.
Absolutely love em. 👍

I use CBX 2 48 & 52 degree with the CBX full face 56 degree wedges.
Absolutely love em. 👍
I will pick up a 52° CBX2 soon as well. I had a Cleveland Smart Sole SW, I'm gonna game it for a while. My OCD might kick in and I will have to grab a 56° CBX2 to finish the set?!

I will pick up a 52° CBX2 soon as well. I had a Cleveland Smart Sole SW, I'm gonna game it for a while. My OCD might kick in and I will have to grab a 56° CBX2 to finish the set?!
Get the CBX 56 deg full face. It replaced a Hogan special sand wedge I've been using for 40 some years.

Got to play 18 today with these irons. The EDGE EX irons performed very well! I am extremely satisfied with them. What I saw at the range carried over to the course. Forgiving, easy to hit, lower launch. I stuck a 9 iron close to around 4 foot on a Par 3. I have to regrip these ASAP!!! They were horrible in the 93° heat and humidity.

The Q-Star Tour Divide really muted the sound of these irons well. A big difference from the range balls.

Got to play 18 today with these irons. The EDGE EX irons performed very well! I am extremely satisfied with them. What I saw at the range carried over to the course. Forgiving, easy to hit, lower launch. I stuck a 9 iron close to around 4 foot on a Par 3. I have to regrip these ASAP!!! They were horrible in the 93° heat and humidity.

Forgive me as I'm just getting back into the game after several years off, so I'm not up to date on the different types of grips available. Are you saying you want to re-grip these because in the heat and humidity they become slippery? I've noticed the last couple of times I've played (very hot and humid here in the Southeast) that the grips sometimes seem wet and slippery.

Forgive me as I'm just getting back into the game after several years off, so I'm not up to date on the different types of grips available. Are you saying you want to re-grip these because in the heat and humidity they become slippery? I've noticed the last couple of times I've played (very hot and humid here in the Southeast) that the grips sometimes seem wet and slippery.

Yes sir. The stock Lamkin grips don’t have a lot of traction to them. A very basic rubber design. I normally use a corded grip because of the heat and humidity here in North Carolina.

Cleaned my clubs this evening in preparation of playing Thistle tomorrow with @Afizzle2100 ! The undercut cavity really held a lot of water and soap. I cleaned them in my shop, so I used the air hose to blow out the cavities. If you don't have a compressor at home, I would suggest at least using a can of compressed air to help remove that moisture.

Cleaned my clubs this evening in preparation of playing Thistle tomorrow with @Afizzle2100 ! The undercut cavity really held a lot of water and soap. I cleaned them in my shop, so I used the air hose to blow out the cavities. If you don't have a compressor at home, I would suggest at least using a can of compressed air to help remove that moisture.
Good point. I had the original Apex Edge 2 piece irons and they rusted along the seam inside the cavity. Awesome irons but they did pick up and hold dirt and moisture….

I didn’t hit my irons well today! I kept pulling everything left, but the driver was red hot!🤷‍♂️

Back