Review Ben Hogan Golf UiHi Review

3 rounds in and it’s not really doing it for me. The thing punishes you if you don’t put a good strike on it. Very little little forgiveness. When you do put a good strike on it, it goes and feels great, but those off centre strikes are crucified. From my experience, if you aren’t a good ball striker, this may not be for you.

3 rounds in and it’s not really doing it for me. The thing punishes you if you don’t put a good strike on it. Very little little forgiveness. When you do put a good strike on it, it goes and feels great, but those off centre strikes are crucified. From my experience, if you aren’t a good ball striker, this may not be for you.
It’s one of the smaller utilities out there so this isn’t all that surprising being honest, to keep this profile, it’s going to be less forgiving than one with a ton of junk in the trunk like so many out there. As with anything, consistency plays a role when you get into the long irons, some need max forgiveness there, and some don’t.

sometimes I wonder if the change in today's clubs having stronger lofts has anything to do with it. If I think back, I used to carry the low lofts i.e. 2, 3,4 irons and even a 1 iron and didn't have a whole lot of problems with them. This is back in the blade era i.e. Spalding, and the like. Of course I was 40 years younger then too. I put my newly acquired 18* in the spare bag (for now) because I think it was due to my selection of the wrong shaft. And yeah, I know "get a fitting" but let's not go there. My point being, today's 3 iron is yesteryear's 5 iron. OTOH, one would think if that were the case, I would be hitting my irons further now. While in fact, I have lost 40 yards throughout the bag in the past 3 or 4 years. I don't know....just go play I guess. I will say though, that the new ICON's have given me back a little of that yardage loss, but probably a mental thing.

I was recommended to a club builder/fitter by Tom Wishon. ADS Golf in Vista California. I am having them reshaft my UiHi 3 utility. Going with UST Recoil 760ES F2 to match my ICON set. Pricing is reasonable around $60 including new Lamkin Grip. Now I will have a nearly new KBS Tour 90 Stiff with the Ben Hogan Lamkin Z5 grip in case anyone is interested in buying for cheap.

Took this a small bit stronger, and after flirting with the EXS Ti I’m going to put it back in the bag. The real solution for me is when I play longer courses to drop the GW and put the 3 AND 4 into the bag. The data I recorded while reviewing these still stands true for me.

Frankly I don’t know why I’m trying other things besides boredom and a fact I’ve never been as comfortable with my entire bag as I am right now. It scares me :ROFLMAO:

One thing I don't quite get. On Hogan site, they list swing weight for UiHi 3 iron as D1 for both the KBS Tour and the UST 760ES. There is 30g difference between the two. I had mine reshafted with the 760 with a mid size grip from Lamkin and it measures in at a C8. Hopefully its ok otherwise I will have to resort to a little lead tape.

Just logging back as i read this review in July, I now own 2 of them, i have the 3 and 4 UiHi's and they are no joke. These pair so well with my Hogan Combo set of PTXPros and Icons, pure money!

Great to see these ubs flat out perform, the looks and technology are awesome at Ben Hogan!

These definitely have been on my radar for some time. When I was chosen for the Hogan Mamiya, event, access to the 4 UiHi was the only thing that made me really consider going with the combo set. The traditional look with a bit more forgiveness in the longer iron appeals to me.

I have the 26° UiHi in my cart right now. I just can’t pull the trigger until I can hit it first.

So, I have Ben Hogan on the brain right now. Maybe a combination of the Ben Hogan Experience announcement and @ddec mentioning the ICONs in an MB thread. I poked around their site a bit and noticed the combo set is only available in one configuration in terms of where the ICONs stop. Not that I am pulling the trigger right now. But, I was hoping they had the option of going ICON into the 6 iron. Then, I look at the UiHi and see it has a very similar look to the PTx Pro. Then, my brain goes into ponder mode. How would those compare to the PTx Pro? Would they play more like a standard iron than a UT?

The winter is just too long and I can't help but dream about equipment.

So, I have Ben Hogan on the brain right now. Maybe a combination of the Ben Hogan Experience announcement and @ddec mentioning the ICONs in an MB thread. I poked around their site a bit and noticed the combo set is only available in one configuration in terms of where the ICONs stop. Not that I am pulling the trigger right now. But, I was hoping they had the option of going ICON into the 6 iron. Then, I look at the UiHi and see it has a very similar look to the PTx Pro. Then, my brain goes into ponder mode. How would those compare to the PTx Pro? Would they play more like a standard iron than a UT?

The winter is just too long and I can't help but dream about equipment.

I think they play more like a UT than an iron, but just my feelings. Then again, I also believe the PTx Pro long irons are the star of the show of combos. Hollow body, but still very small footprint and found better than most hollow body irons.

I think they play more like a UT than an iron, but just my feelings. Then again, I also believe the PTx Pro long irons are the star of the show of combos. Hollow body, but still very small footprint and found better than most hollow body irons.
Are the UiHi significantly larger than the Pros?

Are the UiHi significantly larger than the Pros?
Let me get home to mine today, they’re not though. One of the smaller utilities out there.

AA65FFEC-A4FE-47CA-8082-3AFCE41E2EB6.jpeg
4 is a UiHi, 5-7 Pro, 8-P ICON

@Brewton Can you answer this?

I would not say significantly larger, but the sold and cavity is definitely bigger than the PTx PRO. The image @Jman shows above is a great and accurate representation of how much bigger (slightly) and it was designed to blend into that combo set.

It's my favorite setup and my current setup:

3 - UiHi
4 - UiHi
5-7 PTx PRO
8-P ICON

Besides the model name on the back, looking down at each iron, you would think it is one set designed to go together while providing features and benefits all the way through the set.

Received a 22* UiHi last Friday that I ordered through the demo program. Took several cuts with it Saturday and Sunday. Seems like a solid club but I can't see, at least yet, that it is going to give me anything more than I get with the PTx 4 iron, which I actually prefer to the PTx Pro 4 iron. May be a tad easier to launch off the deck for me but not anything substantial and they are very equal off the tee. Have not seen any distance gains and, in fact, the UiHi I think may be a little shorter for me. Will continue playing it over the next week and a half until I have to return it but can't see this being a future purchase for me.

Back