Ben Hogan GS53 Driver and Fairway Woods

That's awesome to hear that you had a better day with it. I know you have been wanting it to work, and hopefully this is a step in the right direction!
Any day I find more fairways than not, I'll leave the course with a smile. Today I had 14/18. As IceCube says "today was a good day".

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Any day I find more fairways than not, I'll leave the course with a smile. Today I had 14/18. As IceCube says "today was a good day".

Are you hitting the driver with the smoke shaft? Curious cuz I found it to play extremely soft tipped as a 6.5. I originally hit it in a TS3 head months ago before buying the m5, but I hit everything straight right

Are you hitting the driver with the smoke shaft? Curious cuz I found it to play extremely soft tipped as a 6.5. I originally hit it in a TS3 head months ago before buying the m5, but I hit everything straight right
It is the 6.5 smoke

It is the 6.5 smoke

Maybe try something more stout like the regular HZRDUS black. You're faster off the tee than me. Obviously tempo and transition plays a part in it but I thought the smoke was way too loose. Now that I'm dialed in ive found the hogan to be 15 yards longer than my m5 and sold it already

Or even a Matrix ozik black tie. I think those go for under $70 on eBay now and are better than the hzrdus imo

I'll look into that, I already carry a standard black in my other driver and really like the feel. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reading these posts makes me itch to give the GS53 another try. My misses right with it, some strangely short, others just out of sight right, in the 10.5* Demo Helium stiff were just too much to overlook. Didn't try to order another shaft, but I did love the look and sound and the occasional long ball down the middle.

Was nowhere close to my Srixon z585 9.5* w/HZRDUS Red shaft though.

Going through a bunch of demo clubs or ordering a club just to change the shaft gets expensive though!

Reading these posts makes me itch to give the GS53 another try. My misses right with it, some strangely short, others just out of sight right, in the 10.5* Demo Helium stiff were just too much to overlook. Didn't try to order another shaft, but I did love the look and sound and the occasional long ball down the middle.

Going through a bunch of demo clubs or ordering a club just to change the shaft gets expensive though!

Definitely an adjustment period needed... the 585 is massively forgiving compared to the Hogan. Also, even tho it doesn't look like it, the Hogan is only 445cc so could possibly play a part in being less forgiving

but yea I strongly agree a shaft can make a world of difference in how a club performs for individuals. The stock Tensei Blue should be more comparable to the Hzrdus Red

Yes sir. Definitely doesn't feel like a X-stiff shaft at all!

I play the 585 with the stock Miyazaki shaft, R-flex which I find plays stiffer than you would think. I tried the Hogan in both the Helium Stiff and the Tensei Blue Stiff. Neither could beat the 585 for me. I’m much more accurate with the Srixon and at least as long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play the 585 with the stock Miyazaki shaft, R-flex which I find plays stiffer than you would think. I tried the Hogan in both the Helium Stiff and the Tensei Blue Stiff. Neither could beat the 585 for me. I’m much more accurate with the Srixon and at least as long.

That's funny...my sister and brother bought my dad the Cleveland Launcher driver for Father's Day. It had the stock Miyazaki shaft in regular flex and it felt extremely loose to me!

Different Miyazaki’s in the launcher vs the 585.

Really starting to drive the ball well with the GS53 / Accra TZ6 combination. 9 or 11 fairways today and all 9 were hit very solid. A good swing with that combo produces a nice slight draw for me whereas I was hitting some big hooks with the Helium shaft in the head.

Regarding the FWs, I have about given up on the 5 wood as a replacement for my old Callaway XHot Pro 5 wood. Too many big hooks with it as well and have tried a could of different shafts but every configuration yielded the same results. Funny that I have no problem controlling the 3 wood with the Helium shaft in it. Slight draw at the most.

Really starting to drive the ball well with the GS53 / Accra TZ6 combination. 9 or 11 fairways today and all 9 were hit very solid. A good swing with that combo produces a nice slight draw for me whereas I was hitting some big hooks with the Helium shaft in the head.

Regarding the FWs, I have about given up on the 5 wood as a replacement for my old Callaway XHot Pro 5 wood. Too many big hooks with it as well and have tried a could of different shafts but every configuration yielded the same results. Funny that I have no problem controlling the 3 wood with the Helium shaft in it. Slight draw at the most.

That's crazy that the two are that different for you. I've only tried the 3 wood but haven't seen any issues with it so far.

That's crazy that the two are that different for you. I've only tried the 3 wood but haven't seen any issues with it so far.
Yep, the 3 wood is awesome. Probably the best I have ever hit. The TEE CBx FWs were the same for me. The 3 wood was great and the 5 wood didn't cut it no matter what I tried. I do get more distance from the GS53 5 wood than I got with the CBx 5 wood (same 18 degree loft) but the inability to not hit big hooks with it is about the same. Not totally giving up on the GS53 5 wood but going to give it a little break.

Alright.

I got a good session in on the driver this week and while I’m having some issues with my freaking iPad taking screenshots at the moment (probably my repeated dropping the damn thing) I do have some averages from the Foresight GC2.

Again, I’m working with a 10.5 head paired with the Tensei Blue CK 6S.

This is from a 17 shot session with misses left in:

157.2 Ball Speed (159 Peak, 154 Low), 13.4 Launch, 2906 RPM (3670 High, 2533 Low), 37Y Peak

As you can see, there’s a fair amount of spin in play here for me, a lot more than I expected coming in based on reading the thread and that’s why I’ve tried to get more and more time in on it before really diving in to discuss.

I think there’s some things at play there clearly, as shaft and loft aren’t likely doing things any favors for me. That’s something I’d like to mess with down the road though, which translated means I’ve enjoyed a lot of what the head offers.

On my toe side miss I do see the most movement and spin change, but, it’s nothing crazy when compared to my averages on good strikes, things are just a little high overall so the misses initially look worse when staring at the data but it’s more in line than that.

The sound is killer, they truly got that right, it’s not even so much a throwback or anything, it just sounds good and the shape is pure classic, I dig that.

It’s not the most forgiving I’ve played, but it’s solid there. It’s also not the highest ball speed I’ve played, but it’s honestly higher on average than I expected.

All in all, I’m impressed, and it makes my stomach turn even more thinking back to the cart path spill it took the other day.

So-so day with the GS53' started the first two holes great. First swing felt amazing, drive up, and it's 5' off the green(276yd), 2nd hole (315yds) leaving 105 out. The remaining driver friendly holes(5,6,8,10) were not great, as I was having a hard time getting the club face closed(which I believe is 90% of the issue I'm having with this club). 12 was good, 13 & 17 was not good. Always good to finish on a good hole, 18 was a great drive. Nice straight and long, leaving me 170 out. Overall, nothing to write home about, but not upset enough to go back to the Cleveland yet.

7 of 11 fairways today with the GS53 driver. Hit a couple of late massive hooks when I was beat down by the heat and my swing turned to trash. Hit my longest drives ever on 2 holes earlier in the round.

Driver was great once again today, I have so much confidence standing on the tee box with this club. The 3 wood was great off the fairway on the 2 shots I hit but for some reason I hit 2 really bad shots off the tee with it. First one was a horrible swing where I popped it up and the second one was a topped ball that went about 100 yards. Hadn't really done that with the 3 wood so I'm sure it was a fluke day with it.

I'm currently writing my review on the GS53 driver, and wanted to share something.

I've documented in here what I was seeing with the 10.5/Tensei Blue S combo which admittedly isn't the best fit shaft wise for me, and it was higher spin than I anticipated. Well, one of my absolutes when writing a review that includes data is at the VERY end, I go out and put it on the LM again, and I did that today with this.

Avgs: 157,11.5, 2546, 32Y

Had to adjust myself a bit and never truly "got after it" today because of the setup, but this was MUCH more what I expected spin wise after reading/following this thread.

Looking forward to you all reading the review.

Jman;n8879273 said:
I'm currently writing my review on the GS53 driver, and wanted to share something.

I've documented in here what I was seeing with the 10.5/Tensei Blue S combo which admittedly isn't the best fit shaft wise for me, and it was higher spin than I anticipated. Well, one of my absolutes when writing a review that includes data is at the VERY end, I go out and put it on the LM again, and I did that today with this.

Avgs: 157,11.5, 2546, 32Y

Had to adjust myself a bit and never truly "got after it" today because of the setup, but this was MUCH more what I expected spin wise after reading/following this thread.

Looking forward to you all reading the review.
Have you tried any other shaft combo?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Played the Hogan paired with a UST v2 Counterbalance the last 2 days and the results were really impressive. I struggle with a pretty good slice and my old driver (M3) seemed to take a bad swing and make it worse. After a little setup adjustment from Danny, he had me hit the Hogan and it was good. Really good.

The Trackman numbers on the better hits were: Launch 12-15, ball speed of around 155, spin 2400-3000, carry 265, total 280/5
The Hogan drastically cut spin, as I was around 4000/4500 with the bad ones with the M3.

On the course it really shined. I only lost one ball OB to the right all weekend. Most of my drives had a nice fade, and plenty of distance. I got Danny a couple times which I think even surprised him. The very last hole of the trip had a creek at about 290 and my drive was about 3 yards from being wet. The mishits over the trip still had plenty of distance as well and weren't near as far offline as the M3. I'm really looking forward to getting more time with this club/shaft combo as I feel it could really help my game a ton. I know a lot of people aren't in a rush to go out and hit the driver because it's not a huge brand, but I came away really impressed. It sounds amazing, looks great, and I'm happy to game it going forward.

OhioGolfer;n8879347 said:
Have you tried any other shaft combo?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Nope, just the setup I got for review.

Plus as a new adapter I definitely don’t have any laying around haha.

Nerdy_81;n8879354 said:
Played the Hogan paired with a UST v2 Counterbalance the last 2 days and the results were really impressive. I struggle with a pretty good slice and my old driver (M3) seemed to take a bad swing and make it worse. After a little setup adjustment from Danny, he had me hit the Hogan and it was good. Really good.

The Trackman numbers on the better hits were: Launch 12-15, ball speed of around 155, spin 2400-3000, carry 265, total 280/5
The Hogan drastically cut spin, as I was around 4000/4500 with the bad ones with the M3.

On the course it really shined. I only lost one ball OB to the right all weekend. Most of my drives had a nice fade, and plenty of distance. I got Danny a couple times which I think even surprised him. The very last hole of the trip had a creek at about 290 and my drive was about 3 yards from being wet. The mishits over the trip still had plenty of distance as well and weren't near as far offline as the M3. I'm really looking forward to getting more time with this club/shaft combo as I feel it could really help my game a ton. I know a lot of people aren't in a rush to go out and hit the driver because it's not a huge brand, but I came away really impressed. It sounds amazing, looks great, and I'm happy to game it going forward.

It was impressive to watch. My game did not travel well with the exhaustion and lack of playing, but watching the difference for you and DMoney with the changes was just awesome. You hit a bomb on 18 on the South Course that still might not have landed.

JB;n8879477 said:
It was impressive to watch. My game did not travel well with the exhaustion and lack of playing, but watching the difference for you and DMoney with the changes was just awesome. You hit a bomb on 18 on the South Course that still might not have landed.

You played better than you give yourself credit for. The change for DMoney was really incredible. The shots he hit on the range with his old driver compared to what he did on the course was jaw dropping.

Nerdy_81;n8879354 said:

I have this shaft coming (10 grams lighter and 1 flex softer) and think I will have to try it in the GS53 driver head before taking it to the 5 wood as I had initially intended. I like the head/shaft combo with the UST Helium that I ordered stock with the driver but it never hurts to try different combos to see if they show improvement. My old arse will never see 265 carry or 287 without a huge tail wind but am always looking to maximize those numbers for my swing.

Back