Ben Hogan GS53 Max Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The new Ben Hogan Golf has been on a roll lately, and it doesn’t seem to be stopping anytime soon as they have found their niche in the ever growing direct to consumer market. If you have been reading THP for any amount of time, then you have undoubtedly seen the feedback and reviews on their recent releases like the ICON irons as well as the GS53 driver review. The nice thing is they haven’t sat on their hands idly like they could have, instead they are not just creating new product, but clubs that make the game more enjoyable for golfers.

Continue reading...

I know it’s about $ but still...not even a token LH offering? In anything? Unless I missed it on their page...

I know it’s about $ but still...not even a token LH offering? In anything? Unless I missed it on their page...
No LH option. For a company this small though, it makes sense, sucks as it may for our lefty friends.

• Admin
Spending quite a bit of time with this over the last couple of months, my thoughts mirror the article. Low spin, good speed and a look that is both modern and throwback at once. Really solid offering from Ben Hogan.

No LH option. For a company this small though, it makes sense, sucks as it may for our lefty friends.

I am curious as to how small the margins are for BH vs other small companies that do offer LH offerings (I.e. sub70)

I am curious as to how small the margins are for BH vs other small companies that do offer LH offerings (I.e. sub70)
Every company has to make a choice, ya know? I’d also say that imo there is a quality difference between the two brands where one is going to pump out all they can, and the other is going to be deliberate and make sure they’re totally developed.

• Admin

Pretty different companies.
One company has someone designing their clubs from beginning including CAD work to create a head that is exclusively theirs. The other is not doing that and buying available "open" products and making subtle tweaks to them.

Both have their place, and both equipment is fine, but very different from a creation stand point.

I absolutely love my GS53, but I am very much looking forward to demoing this one! I really liked the classic look of the original GS53, but now with the addition of the carbon fiber crown, that kicks it up a notch !
Great review @Jman !!

Can’t wait to try this! I am super excited about the forgiveness the GS53 Max offers. The standard model was extremely penalizing, especially off the toe. I’m curious if it can compete with my Callaway Big Bertha B21?! It would be nice to put that 14th :hogan: club back in the bag!

Great review James. Very comprehensive. Just when I thought I was going to make it to the new year without purchasing this driver, this review has me more tempted than ever to jump.

Great review @Jman Seems like a fantastic offering from BH, with what I think is a great look. Not to mention the price, a great value!!

Can’t wait to try this! I am super excited about the forgiveness the GS53 Max offers. The standard model was extremely penalizing, especially off the toe. I’m curious if it can compete with my Callaway Big Bertha B21?! It would be nice to put that 14th :hogan: club back in the bag!
I will be curious to see what you think if you do get to compare them. The B21 is a rockstar for me, but an entire :hogan: set-up would be pretty awesome.

Awesome write-up as usual @Jman. I may have to demo one of these next year just to see how it stacks up to the B21.

@JB , is there anyway THP could do a comparison on sub-$400 drivers? Could you compare the GS53 Max, EXS 220, W/S D7(9), Cleveland Turbo Launcher? It would be interesting to see which one provided the most bang for the buck. Then, maybe add a $500 dollar driver in for a performance per dollar standpoint?

Good write up and it sucks once again that lefties are out in the cold. I hope the clubs works for y'all!

@JB , is there anyway THP could do a comparison on sub-$400 drivers? Could you compare the GS53 Max, EXS 220, W/S D7(9), Cleveland Turbo Launcher? It would be interesting to see which one provided the most bang for the buck. Then, maybe add a $500 dollar driver in for a performance per dollar standpoint?
Problem is, this very much depends on the person swinging them. Fortunately we have reviews up on most of those for at least a little comparison.

I’ll say this, I’ve hit those others, and this is lower spinning than all of them.

Great review James. Very comprehensive. Just when I thought I was going to make it to the new year without purchasing this driver, this review has me more tempted than ever to jump.
You NEED to hit this one Scott. I mean that.

You NEED to hit this one Scott. I mean that.

If I am playing the original GS53 in 10.5 degrees (with Accra TZ6), would you recommend sticking with the same loft in the Max? I get what would likely be considered a mid flight with my current set up but can easily flight it up or down. I tend to opt for the higher stock loft because I would rather loft down and open the face than loft up and close it. I would probably order it with the HZRDUS Smoke (already have a Helium and didn't really care much for the Tensei Blue when I tried it at TE) but end up playing the Accra in it if my past lack of success with Project X shafts continues.

If I am playing the original GS53 in 10.5 degrees (with Accra TZ6), would you recommend sticking with the same loft in the Max? I get what would likely be considered a mid flight with my current set up but can easily flight it up or down. I tend to opt for the higher stock loft because I would rather loft down and open the face than loft up and close it. I would probably order it with the HZRDUS Smoke (already have a Helium and didn't really care much for the Tensei Blue when I tried it at TE) but end up playing the Accra in it if my past lack of success with Project X shafts continues.
This launches much easier, and does so by design. That said, you’ll get more launch but less spin which is a win.

And this is amply more forgiving than the GS53

I’m looking forward to adding a little hot melt to this one now that the review is up and possibly a shaft tweak to see just what I can get up to with it.

I know we have some THP'ers who have gotten to spend time with this one already thanks to THP Experiences, but have any other given it a go yet?

I truly believe if people would demo it, they would be surprised.

I know we have some THP'ers who have gotten to spend time with this one already thanks to THP Experiences, but have any other given it a go yet?

I truly believe if people would demo it, they would be surprised.
Just waiting on the demos to come out.

Impressive offering for sure and what a beautiful look - will test someday.

I’ve played one round with my GS53 Max a couple weeks ago. So easy to hit, and dang near hit every fairway that day. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to really take any advantage of the low spin that day as it was soaking wet, but the carry was just as far as I typically am at and can’t wait to get back on the course to hit it more.

I’ve played one round with my GS53 Max a couple weeks ago. So easy to hit, and dang near hit every fairway that day. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to really take any advantage of the low spin that day as it was soaking wet, but the carry was just as far as I typically am at and can’t wait to get back on the course to hit it more.
Can’t wait to hear more when the time comes, Kritter!

Back