3 weeks down. This week has GOT to be the week. :unsure:

It is pretty impressive that Hogan had a record sales month in April during shutdown. To think all those orders were BEFORE they intro'd the combo sets or new utilities :oops:

It is pretty impressive that Hogan had a record sales month in April during shutdown. To think all those orders were BEFORE they intro'd the combo sets or new utilities :oops:
New DTC Hogan has been killing it with their products. Its making it hard for me to not sell some stuff off to get a set myself.

It'll be really interesting to see how their sales look with these new offerings. They now have one of the most complete iron offerings out there, it's really pretty impressive for a company like that.

So @ddec were there some successfully 4 irons hit again yesterday?

Used it twice off the tee and both times found fairway. One wasn’t hit all that well, barely on the grooves, but it still actually flew fine.

Best full swing shot was with a 5 iron. Most fun shots were two 100-110 yard shots with a PW that were flighted low and in to the wind. Just wicked to actually pull them off and hit a really good shot.

I can’t wait to give my thoughts on the short irons of this set soon

I don't think muscle backs are anywhere near as hard as hit as the internet often states. I'd love to hit the Icons and would consider doing the demo program, but the economy SUCKS right now. Splurging on golf is a terrible idea when there's as much as employment risk as there is now and if someone is unfortunate enough to lose their job good look finding one at the same compensation.

The Icons look great. I'd be interested in the Maltby measurements on the Golfworks site. As good as the Ft Worth looked, it had about the worst MPF score of all time driven by a VCOG of 0.920".

Dave

Thank God these aren't in LH. :)

I don't think muscle backs are anywhere near as hard as hit as the internet often states. I'd love to hit the Icons and would consider doing the demo program, but the economy SUCKS right now. Splurging on golf is a terrible idea when there's as much as employment risk as there is now and if someone is unfortunate enough to lose their job good look finding one at the same compensation.

The Icons look great. I'd be interested in the Maltby measurements on the Golfworks site. As good as the Ft Worth looked, it had about the worst MPF score of all time driven by a VCOG of 0.920".

Dave

That post is at real as it gets. Economy sucks and if you are feeling it your neighbor is.

Oh yeah, I have league tonight and the weather is finally going to be nice. These are easily what I'm most looking forward to once again. Even better is we're playing the front nine which gives me one tee shot where a 4 iron stinger would work perfect if I pull it off.

Oh yeah, I have league tonight and the weather is finally going to be nice. These are easily what I'm most looking forward to once again. Even better is we're playing the front nine which gives me one tee shot where a 4 iron stinger would work perfect if I pull it off.
Good luck! Just make sure your opponent sees your Icons gleaming in the sun. He'll fold like a wet noodle.

Good luck! Just make sure your opponent sees your Icons gleaming in the sun. He'll fold like a wet noodle.
That match won't be until June 7th, tonight is just our regular league. But I'll be flashing these puppies for sure in the big match. I'm going to need intimidation since I have to give 15 strokes.

Looking forward to hearing from users, including @ddec and @KEV about

Distance gapping in the bag if you came from more distance oriented irons.
Definitely some info on sound/feel.
Is there any level of forgiveness here?

Dave
I don't know how much weight I put into the MPF. I do agree that MB's aren't as hard to hit as often assumed. If you're hitting all over the face all the time, yeah, they'll be harder to play. But if a guy is reasonably consistent and is hitting the center of the face more often than not, they're just fine.

I don't know how much weight I put into the MPF. I do agree that MB's aren't as hard to hit as often assumed. If you're hitting all over the face all the time, yeah, they'll be harder to play. But if a guy is reasonably consistent and is hitting the center of the face more often than not, they're just fine.

I mean my last round I had times where I was all over the face. Yes those shots were penalized. But It wasn’t like those misses weren’t playable. So far they have been way more playable than I thought they would be. Now it doesn’t mean that I will play blades forever or that I think everyone should. I know I’m giving up something and perhaps a combo set is in my future.

I mean my last round I had times where I was all over the face. Yes those shots were penalized. But It wasn’t like those misses weren’t playable. So far they have been way more playable than I thought they would be. Now it doesn’t mean that I will play blades forever or that I think everyone should. I know I’m giving up something and perhaps a combo set is in my future.
I love a good combo set. A little more forgiveness where it helps the most in the harder to hit clubs. I don't know that I would ever go with an entire set of MB's again. I think up to the 7 iron would be ideal. Maybe into the 6 iron. But, that is typically where things get a little harder for me, so I would likely go CB in that club.

Reactions: KEV

How much more distance do you think you lose vs a more forgiving set? My thought is maybe 5 yards? I've played in total crap conditions so far so it's tough to completely tell but I don't feel like I'm overly penalized for mishits.

I agree though that I think the combo set is the key for most people and may be something to look at in the future.

How much more distance do you think you lose vs a more forgiving set? My thought is maybe 5 yards? I've played in total crap conditions so far so it's tough to completely tell but I don't feel like I'm overly penalized for mishits.

I agree though that I think the combo set is the key for most people and may be something to look at in the future.

See here is where its difficult to tell. Earlier I mentioned a 4 iron tee shot that barely caught the grooves on the toe side. I probably 25-30 yards on that, but it still was in the middle of the fairway. But I'm not sure playing my normal apex would have miraculously made that shot significantly better. It was that bad of a strike. To me where I see things a bit different is that I feel like I can miss with the Apex and still get decent height, where with these it will be lower. Not crazy stupid line drive low, but noticeable to a pure strike.

Looking forward to hearing from users, including @ddec and @KEV about

Distance gapping in the bag if you came from more distance oriented irons.
Definitely some info on sound/feel.
Is there any level of forgiveness here?
They seem to be more forgiving than the Ft. Worths. Definitely easier to get airborne! The 6 iron was very surprising on how easy it was to hit. Forgiveness was night and day different from the PTx Pros.

A quick mid round update. 1. The 5 iron is an amazing punch out club, easy to keep low. 2. 4 iron stingers are fuuuunnnnnn.

A quick mid round update. 1. The 5 iron is an amazing punch out club, easy to keep low. 2. 4 iron stingers are fuuuunnnnnn.
You BETTER have club twirled after the 4 iron stinger.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
They seem to be more forgiving than the Ft. Worths. Definitely easier to get airborne! The 6 iron was very surprising on how easy it was to hit. Forgiveness was night and day different from the PTx Pros.

This is where I was going with the 0.920" VCOG on the Ft Worth, better have a good attack angle.

Dave

Super fun right? Now hit one like that with the PW into a green. Intoxicating

We FINALLY had nice weather with low wind tonight so I could get a better idea of what some averages might be for these. To give an idea of what I've played in the past my last two sets were Ping i210's and Callaway Apex 19 Pros which weren't not exactly distance monsters and both had the same lofts.

Distance: Compared to my previous sets the ICON's are one degree weaker and they provide pretty much what I would expect distance wise which is around 3-5 yards less than those sets. For example, tonight I had a 174 yard par 3 which with my previous sets would be a hard 7 iron. I took a hard 7 iron tonight, hit it really well and came up about 3 yards short of what I would have expected from my last sets. I've been playing about a half club more on my shots and so far that's been working out well.

Distance gapping throughout the bag seems to be right on point. No matter the club it seems like I'm in that 3-5 yard less range compared to what I have been used to.

These aren't going to be a distance club at all. This makes sense since they have more of a traditional loft setup. To give an idea the PW is 46* and there are 4* gaps in between all clubs. Having distances I can count on is a big thing for me and I've been really happy with what I've seen.

Back