These are probably above my skill set but I feel the exact same way. They are easilysome of the most fun irons I've ever played. You just feel good picking them up.

they are definitely above my skill level. But man they are so much fun. I don't think they are making me a better ball striker, but yet I feel like I learn way more from them than I do my Apex set.

Reactions: KEV
I had a little time between shots tonight so here are a few thoughts on the ICON'S.

I think I could play a full set of these :unsure:

The most all around happy I’ve been with a set of irons in a long time.

Im still amazed at how not only the feel flows in the transition spot, but how I don’t have a gap between the 7 Pro and the 8 ICON.

I also am still enamored with the way I can manipulate the MB’s. Sheer scoring fun.
I think I could play a full set of these :unsure:
Just a friendly reminder!😉

Just a friendly reminder!😉
I don’t get it.

I love my combos, I’ve def been vocal about it. I also believe I have the game to play all ICON’s though, hence where my post comes from. Plus I could get a black set and strip them raw with vinegar, which is something else I’ve been pretty vocal about wanting lately (raw irons).

The black finish on these.

Is it oxide ? Or a black plate of some type?

Curious if they are easily strippable.

Ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don’t get it.

I love my combos, I’ve def been vocal about it. I also believe I have the game to play all ICON’s though, hence where my post comes from. Plus I could get a black set and strip them raw with vinegar, which is something else I’ve been pretty vocal about wanting lately (raw irons).

I was in the thread reading about these. Then posted and read this post.

Ty ! What I needed to know.

I don't think you can.

Now you're forced to prove me wrong 🤣.
Hahaha, nah. My lust for rust is just getting me.

I will say, I hope they offer the combos in Black soon, I’d love to stay this way. But if we get into winter and I’m sitting around, I could see me grabbing a different set of irons and sending them off to be stripped of the chrome, and I don’t know then if they’d be Hogan’s or not.

Reactions: KEV
I cheated on these for my round on Monday and the observations that I had shouldn't be all that surprising. I played my Apex Combo set for the first time since early May. I saw some noticeable help in the long irons that I do not get with these. With that being said, boy did a miss the feel and the feedback of these. I've become pretty accustomed to the instant feedback and pretty much knowing how a shot is going to turn out.

I cheated on these for my round on Monday and the observations that I had shouldn't be all that surprising. I played my Apex Combo set for the first time since early May. I saw some noticeable help in the long irons that I do not get with these. With that being said, boy did a miss the feel and the feedback of these. I've become pretty accustomed to the instant feedback and pretty much knowing how a shot is going to turn out.
The feedback is just killer. It’s quick, full, and addicting.

yeah, I mean good, bad, whatever.
Yup. That feedback in the 8-P for me has kept me hooked more than anything, that ans I can actually shape these :ROFLMAO:

Yup. That feedback in the 8-P for me has kept me hooked more than anything, that ans I can actually shape these :ROFLMAO:

I have no problem admitting that I could use the PTx Pro in the longer irons. But man, I want them to be the black version because I love the finish.

I have no problem admitting that I could use the PTx Pro in the longer irons. But man, I want them to be the black version because I love the finish.
And I want the black version of both so I can strip the finish and make them RUSTTTTTT :ROFLMAO:

As much as I gush over the full set of the ICON'S I was pondering the combo set again just because I haven't been able to play much and could probably use the help in those long irons. I really wish I could get individual irons because I can't justify spending the money right now with my wife's business starting up.

I'm playing in a two day tournament with my brother this weekend so these will be getting a big workout on courses I'm not super familiar with. I also haven't played much lately so this should be interesting 🤣. I'll be giving a report on how they perform throughout the weekend I'm sure.

I really wish that single irons were available as well because I would love an Icon black PW.
Its killing me that the weather is near perfect and I'm working on thr boat.
All I can think about is hitting these again. I cant remember a set of irons that haunted me so much when I'm not playing.
The feel and feedback has my full attention. The v sole has been working really well and I'm leaving these tidy baby divots in the turf.
Such a fun set of clubs.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

The black finish on these.

Is it oxide ? Or a black plate of some type?

Curious if they are easily strippable.

Ty

I asked Ben Hogan Co about the finish. I couldn't get a definitive answer. They told me they "think" the black was "infused". I don't believe them. I have experience in removing oxide from fairway metals and hybrids faces using toilet bowl cleaner, vinegar, or Bartenders' Friend. I did it on Titleist, Tour Edge, and Bobby Jones.

Attachments

• IMG_20200911_070218665.jpg
    IMG_20200911_070218665.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 16
I asked Ben Hogan Co about the finish. I couldn't get a definitive answer. They told me they "think" the black was "infused". I don't believe them. I have experience in removing oxide from fairway metals and hybrids faces using toilet bowl cleaner, vinegar, or Bartenders' Friend. I did it on Titleist, Tour Edge, and Bobby Jones.
Maltby was the first to bring this finish to market. If you go on to their website and look at their club making articles you will see the DBM finished explained.
Its definitely not a paint but a process that gets into the metal. It also without a doubt makes the metal harder.
I have owned 3 different sets with this finish and after years of being in play the heads, other than a grey patina show no signs of wear or bag chatter. If you want to know more about the finish call Golfworks.

*Sigh*, just ordered a set of the Players Combo's 5-7 PTx PRO, 8-PW ICON the UST Recoil 780-F4/Stiff (Graphite)......I already have the 50 and 54 deg Equalizer Wedges and 4 iron UiHi with the 780 SW in it

Going Hogan

Probably going to make a couple of more changes to the bag and update the Sig soon

Maltby was the first to bring this finish to market. If you go on to their website and look at their club making articles you will see the DBM finished explained.
Its definitely not a paint but a process that gets into the metal. It also without a doubt makes the metal harder.
I have owned 3 different sets with this finish and after years of being in play the heads, other than a grey patina show no signs of wear or bag chatter. If you want to know more about the finish call Golfworks.

There you go, then. Not Black Oxide per sei.

when these first came out there was a guy on Instagram that stripped the black and made them a raw set. Hogan social was the one who actually pointed it out to me. So it can be done.

when these first came out there was a guy on Instagram that stripped the black and made them a raw set. Hogan social was the one who actually pointed it out to me. So it can be done.
Yup. And Bryan (BryanGolf) showed how to do it on a set of DBM Cobras, it’s vinegar, and TIME.

*Sigh*, just ordered a set of the Players Combo's 5-7 PTx PRO, 8-PW ICON the UST Recoil 780-F4/Stiff (Graphite)......I already have the 50 and 54 deg Equalizer Wedges and 4 iron UiHi with the 780 SW in it

Going Hogan

Probably going to make a couple of more changes to the bag and update the Sig soon
Great purchase!!

Back