So not “in” the metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am still not sure. Jman describes using vinegar and Time, leading me to believe that it is a removable finish. The DBM process appears to be an infusion of some sort which would indicate it can not simply be removed. My efforts were on Titanium alloy metal fairway, driver, hybrid heads. I am in no way doubting what has been said, only my own confusion. Moot point for me as I intend to leave my ICON Blacks as they are.

So not “in” the metal.

Its a chemical process that definitely impregnates the metal as it changes the metals hardness to quite a degree more.
The firmness difference between two Maltby irons with and without the finish as in TE vs DBM is easily discernable though they are built with the same exact forging process. The chrome is on the metal. The DBM adds no thickness to the metal what so ever. It is why the face grooves will stay sharper longer as the chrome edges can wear easily.
It doesn't mean that a chemical process can't be reversed somehow. If you watch the YouTube video on stripping the Cobra heads im not sure how much of the process is removed. Its obvious a lot was removed with all the black left over in the solution, but to what degree I don't know. I may have to experiment with a GW I have.
Over time the DBM finish will Grey on the sole and where you strike the ball. But you can't scratch it off per say.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Its a chemical process that definitely impregnates the metal as it changes the metals hardness to quite a degree more.
The firmness difference between two Maltby irons with and without the finish as in TE vs DBM is easily discernable though they are built with the same exact forging process. The chrome is on the metal. The DBM adds no thickness to the metal what so ever. It is why the face grooves will stay sharper longer as the chrome edges can wear easily.
It doesn't mean that a chemical process can't be reversed somehow. If you watch the YouTube video on stripping the Cobra heads im not sure how much of the process is removed. Its obvious a lot was removed with all the black left over in the solution, but to what degree I don't know. I may have to experiment with a GW I have.
Over time the DBM finish will Grey on the sole and where you strike the ball. But you can't scratch it off per say.

Enough is removed that they will rust up, so a hell of a lot :ROFLMAO:

Enough is removed that they will rust up, so a hell of a lot
I will definitely do the GW Wednesday night. Should be a fun experiment.

I will definitely do the GW Wednesday night. Should be a fun experiment.

He lets them sit for 24 hours+ (y)

I look forward to pictures!

He lets them sit for 24 hours+ (y)

I look forward to pictures!
Was it just vinegar?

I was sooooooo close to my first hole in one yesterday with these. I absolutely flushed a 7 iron that felt like pure butter (that's right, I went the butter route) and had to skim the lip of the hole. I'm not sure there are any clubs out there that feel better on a flushed shot.

The rest of the round was a pretty solid striking day but I can tell I haven't played as much. When I'm playing 2 times a week like I had been for awhile I can handle the ICON'S throughout the whole bag. When I'm playing more sporadic is when I start seeing some struggle with the forgiveness in the long irons. It has me thinking hard on a combo set at some point in the future. But man do I love these clubs still.

Enough is removed that they will rust up, so a hell of a lot :ROFLMAO:

Here is my question and sorry if it has been done. But what will that do to the ball? Because i an intrigued....

Here is my question and sorry if it has been done. But what will that do to the ball? Because i an intrigued....
Nothing. Rust doesn’t add spin. Old wives tale.

Put these back in the bag today. Hit some really, really solid shots. Staying in the bag for tomorrow's round 💯

Absolute butter.
0DF064C1-913F-4A2A-BA2C-2141DB2DA94E.jpeg

i spent my lunch hour at the range. i could hit these irons ALL DAY.

So then these over the TM's?

I have to somehow find these in 8-Pw

38 pages later....

Guys! These are freaking fun!!

Immediately fell in love with these. May rust them this winter idk yet.

38 pages later....

Guys! These are freaking fun!!
Fun is such a great description for them. Ben Hogan seriously crushed it with this release.

One thing I noticed immediately during this morning's round is that the workability dispersion (if that's even a thing....it might just be dispersion....anyway.....) is so much better than the TM P770/P7MC's.

What I mean by that is, if I try and hit a baby draw or fade, it's not a random rope hook or slice 1 out of 3 times. When I hit the draw, it'll be a draw. If I have to hook one, which I had to today, it'll hook but I exactly know where to expect it to land even if it's a miss.

The TM's weren't as precise. If I tried to draw a 4 iron, it'll hook left....hard. If I try to slice one, it'll just fade.

Back