One thing I noticed immediately during this morning's round is that the workability dispersion (if that's even a thing....it might just be dispersion....anyway.....) is so much better than the TM P770/P7MC's.

What I mean by that is, if I try and hit a baby draw or fade, it's not a random rope hook or slice 1 out of 3 times. When I hit the draw, it'll be a draw. If I have to hook one, which I had to today, it'll hook but I exactly know where to expect it to land even if it's a miss.

The TM's weren't as precise. If I tried to draw a 4 iron, it'll hook left....hard. If I try to slice one, it'll just fade.
I've had a very similar experience. It really takes a lot of work, or an absolutely horrific swing, for me to really turn one over or slice hard. They just want to hit the ball straight for the most part. It's weird, I was expecting the opposite with this style of club but then again I didn't really know what to expect. My misses are either pushes or pulls, not because the ball moved too much.

all irons should have v-sole

I've had a very similar experience. It really takes a lot of work, or an absolutely horrific swing, for me to really turn one over or slice hard. They just want to hit the ball straight for the most part. It's weird, I was expecting the opposite with this style of club but then again I didn't really know what to expect. My misses are either pushes or pulls, not because the ball moved too much.
I keep wondering if I could play them and these kinds of posts really make me want to try.

Well I placed an order for 8, 9 and Pw Icon Blacks. I'll have my own set of Players Combo.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Are those publicly available? (You were helping me on another forum after I posted about my poor fitting experience.)

I think I would like to try a combo set of Hogans, with Xcaliber rapid taper shafts (75g in the long irons, 95g in the short), in the black DBM finish.

Well I placed an order for 8, 9 and Pw Icon Blacks. I'll have my own set of Players Combo.

Nice! Where did you order that you were you able to get the individual irons?

Nice! Where did you order that you were you able to get the individual irons?
I'll let you know once it goes through. Supposed to be about 15 days.

Reactions: KEV
Just got my trial ICONs (6i & 9i - XStiff KBS) in today and took them for a few swings at the range. Currently my irons are the Wilson FG V2s. The ICONs are definitely less forgiving, but feel very similar to my V2s. They do remind me a little bit of my old BH Apex Edge Pros - felt a bit heavy, demands focus, and will let you know if you didn't hit it right, but will REALLY let you know when you do hit it right. I thought these would be much more difficult to hit, but very playable for me. Really considering these, thinking of getting them on Black Friday. I doubt BH will be doing anything outside of their usual 10%, but even if they throw in a free hat, I'll take it! haha.

Just entered our 2nd lockdown here in blighty so no golf for at least a month (even the ranges are shut). Managed to get a bit of Links golf in just before lockdown and boy did these shine. Firm turf and these irons are great. The equalizer wedges just as good. (And came with different grips to the standard ones).
Normally after a few months I'd be looking round at other things, but simply not the case with these......simply a "good fit".....where I know my bad shots are me and not the tools.

I am literally waiting till Black Friday to put my order in... The wait is killing me. Haha! I doubt they will have any major discounts, but as I have mentioned before - even if they throw in a free hat, a free hat is a free hat. Haha!

I had the chance to play one more time with the ICON'S this year and continued to absolutely love them. My brother was hitting them also and kept commenting about how good they felt. He's a much better player than I am and these fit his game better for that reason but I am still surprised how playable they were for me. When I wasn't playing consistently I was penalized a bit, particularly in the long irons, but they still left me with very playable misses. The combo set is definitely a better fit for someone like me.

I'll go to my grave telling people these are one of the greatest deals in golf. I'm just not sure you can find a better bang for your buck in golf.

Time to resurrect this thread...

Still loving the Icons, but I've noticed a little bit of a gapping issue. The gaps between my 4-6 irons are huge...I'm talking 15-20 yards (if not more). The rest of the bag seems fine as far as gaps go. I know the Hogan company believes in the four degrees for gapping purposes, whereas a lot of other manufacturers have smaller loft gaps with the longer clubs, and more of a gap with the shorter irons.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? If so, did you bend certain irons? What are your exact specs?

Thinking of keeping the 4 iron as is, bending the 5 iron 1 degree strong, the 6 iron 2 degrees strong, and the rest of the bag 3 degrees strong. This would create 3 degree gaps at the top, and 4 degrees at the bottom of the bag.

Still loving the Icons, but I've noticed a little bit of a gapping issue. The gaps between my 4-6 irons are huge...I'm talking 15-20 yards (if not more). The rest of the bag seems fine as far as gaps go. I know the Hogan company believes in the four degrees for gapping purposes, whereas a lot of other manufacturers have smaller loft gaps with the longer clubs, and more of a gap with the shorter irons.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? If so, did you bend certain irons? What are your exact specs?

Thinking of keeping the 4 iron as is, bending the 5 iron 1 degree strong, the 6 iron 2 degrees strong, and the rest of the bag 3 degrees strong. This would create 3 degree gaps at the top, and 4 degrees at the bottom of the bag.

do you mean between 4 and 5 iron? Otherwise the gap seems to small.

I mean each gap. Distances are as follows...

4 iron 225-230
5 iron 205-210
6 iron 185-190
7 iron 170-175
8 iron 160-165
9 iron 145-150
PW 130-135

those do not look too bad to me..

if anything, you could strengthen everything for the 7 iron up. Between your 7 and 8 looks maybe a little tight. Otherwise 15 yard gaps through out is pretty solid IMO..

or you could adjust to 10 yard gaps. But I personally like 15 and you are basically there except that one spot.

Maybe have both your lofts and lies checked first? My FT15’s did move on me more than other clubs I've had over the seasons.

More so the steeper a swing is and if it's shallow with minimum ground contact, this may not be the case. Just a thought if the gaps have changed over time.

I can't say I ever noticed this with my set. I didn't play a 4 iron but between my 5 and 6 I seemed to get my normal 10-15 yards of gap. I would probably start by getting the lofts checked and then getting them adjusted to tighten that gap up a bit.

I had pretty even gapping with the ICONs all the way from 4-PW. One thing that may be adding some top end distance for some players, would be that the shafts gets 3/4" progressively longer in the 4-5-6. The 4i plays more like 3i length. The shaft length means there is swing speed potential there for those that can use it.

First off, I did a pretty poor job of explaining my yardages. I tried to create a range of values like 4 iron is 225-230 and 5 iron is 205-210. What I meant by this is that on a good day the 4 iron would be more like 230 and the 5 iron would be more like 210...thus a 20 yard gap. Same thing between the 5 and 6 iron. Most of the other gaps are 10-15, roughly where they should be.

@GraniteRoost made a good point that I didn't think about that it could be the extra length in the long irons, in addition to the loft gaps.

I also agree with @J4U and @KEV that I should get my lofts and lies checked first. Probably will do a gapping session on a trackman to see what changes need to be made (good thing I've spent too much money at Club Champion in the last year).

Hello my old friends...

14B43916-82E7-46FD-A71C-A0B84D540F83.jpeg

Man did I forget how much fun these clubs are! The short irons performed as well as I remembered and I absolutely smoked a stinger 4 iron right down the pipe that had me giggling. It was probably a bad decision to hit them because I'm back to pondering a combo set. Goodness these are fun clubs.

As I have told people, a high index can hit them. All day long. Real game improvement comes from ditching a slow autopilot race car for a real race car!! Lol!

Hello my old friends...

View attachment 9005246

Man did I forget how much fun these clubs are! The short irons performed as well as I remembered and I absolutely smoked a stinger 4 iron right down the pipe that had me giggling. It was probably a bad decision to hit them because I'm back to pondering a combo set. Goodness these are fun clubs.

I was so tempted to take my set out yesterday.

I was so tempted to take my set out yesterday.
You should definitely get them out again sometime in the future. I still think they're the iron set I've had the most fun with.

I've been looking to build a set of blade/players irons with black finish, but don't want them to look like crap after a few rounds, which means DBM finish. That narrows down my options to basically Hogan Icons, Maltby irons, and used Cobra MBs (unless I'm missing something). Thankfully I really like both the Icons and the Cobra irons, but I'd prefer a new set of irons so leaning Icons. I ordered a demo iron to test, and here are my first impressions:

Icons looks great behind the ball, and have excellent feel and surprising forgiveness for a blade iron. Ball flight was great, medium trajectory and spin for me.

I also enjoyed the X100 shaft the demo came with, but not a huge fan of the stock grip. Compared to my Blueprint irons, the blade length and topline were slightly larger, but not by much. I'll also say that my Blueprints were slightly better feeling on centered hits, but about the same for slight mishits. All in all, I really enjoy the Icons, and think the black version would be awesome. Now I just wish Hogan offered some heavier graphite or black steel shafts :D

20210725_173345.jpg20210725_173637.jpg20210725_173154.jpg

I know a few THPers got these at the THP Experience. Hope to hear some of their thoughts.

Back