Ben Hogan Player's Combo Set

Why? With these being traditional loft a Gap is not needed. On clubs with a 42 degree PW that’s where a gap is needed.
I like to use a set matching gap wedge because I will take a full swing with it. I’m not going to manipulate the face with it a lot either.

If the Icons had a Gap Wedge I think I would of hit order already by now.
Why? With these being traditional loft a Gap is not needed. On clubs with a 42 degree PW that’s where a gap is needed.
Mizuno just introduced a gap wedge in the 921 Tour line. The 919 stopped at the PW.

I like to use a set matching gap wedge because I will take a full swing with it. I’m not going to manipulate the face with it a lot either.
Equalizer 50 would be the same thing. Or 50 degree F grind I use is the same thing.

Kevin Paule. hes an instructor near me in the Bay Area. instagram handle is kp_golf86. he stripped the black off the icons using vinegar method.
Wait, so you are telling me I can buy the Hogans in DMB and I can strip them raw? I think this just about locked up my iron decision.

Wait, so you are telling me I can buy the Hogans in DMB and I can strip them raw? I think this just about locked up my iron decision.
The finish is not something that really strips. It impregnates the metal and works into the pours. So you never really strip it. Its not on the metal its soaked into it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

yeah apparently this is the method he used. I have no experience with this so...don't shoot the messenger.

yeah apparently this is the method he used. I have no experience with this so...don't shoot the messenger.

That is pretty rad. Not sure if I would actually by a new set of irons and then promptly pull them apart and attempt to strip them myself. But I'm also not saying I wouldn't and that looks amazing.

I love raw irons and wedges. All things being equal I wouldn't buy anything else.

Kevin Paule. hes an instructor near me in the Bay Area. instagram handle is kp_golf86. he stripped the black off the icons using vinegar method.
Boom. Learn something new every day and now I want a DBM set to strip. GIVE ME ALL THE RUST.

I just wish there were some more options that fit the smaller MBs in that slot. I think the old t7s could fit there no problem. Just shocking to see the SM8s look so big next to my pitching wedge.
I have the MD 5 50 there and it is a little more compact and matches up really well

Played my last pre Tahoe round tonight and it went really well tonight. I hit 4 iron on the fairway today and was very impressed. The whole set continues to impress me

Played 18 yesterday afternoon. Swing was hot garbage but the Hogan’s performed well again. I hit the 4 iron off the deck again yesterday a few times and it is really impressive. Normally long irons are the hardest clubs to hit off the deck but the Ptx pro 4 iron works really well for me. I also used the icon PW to chip a few times and it worked really well. My old set I could not chip well with the PW because it was so bulky. Ready to rock the Hogan’s in Tahoe this weekend

Played yesterday afternoon and the Hogan’s performed great for again. I shot 81 from the Blues at Highland and that is good score for me from 6800 yards.
I reference @Jman a lot because he has played my course. On number 7 I was 160 from the pin (it was the back left pin which is super tough) and I hit the 7 iron it landed 6 feet short of the pin and finished 3 feet past the pin. I love the control I get with these irons.
They are firmly set in the bag!!!!!

Has anyone else pulled the trigger on buying these irons.
I kid you not, for the price they are the best deal in the history of golf.
When a guy sells his epic forged and Pxg gen 3 to play these that should say a lot.
Also make sure and check out the great numbers @Jman post with these irons

Great notes, I think Ben Hogan did a pretty nice job on the balance of choosing two steel and one graphite shaft that would best cover the needs of the various likely users. Glad you are loving them.
I was worried about them feeling head heavy but they don’t, they feel amazing.

Also I owe you a 3 wood still I am horrible at shopping g but will get it to you ASAP

Has anyone else pulled the trigger on buying these irons.
I kid you not, for the price they are the best deal in the history of golf.
When a guy sells his epic forged and Pxg gen 3 to play these that should say a lot.
Also make sure and check out the great numbers @Jman post with these irons
I can't argue at all about them being the best deal in golf and I feel the same way about the ICON'S. It's so nice that they have an option for different skill levels available that touches such a good price point and still performs as good as anything out there.

The fact that I can get a 5-PW in the PTx Pros for $650 makes them awfully tempting, even just as a backup set to goof off with. Anyone had any issues with the specs being off lately? I don't have a loft/lie machine (yet) to check myself.

The fact that I can get a 5-PW in the PTx Pros for $650 makes them awfully tempting, even just as a backup set to goof off with. Anyone had any issues with the specs being off lately? I don't have a loft/lie machine (yet) to check myself.
My specs were right on. Had them checked at my local place

My specs were right on. Had them checked at my local place
Im gonna check my specs tonight as I just got my bending bar back. Nice tourney Thursday so ill get them all ready.

Just did mine and the lofts were consistent, just needed some lie tweaking but they were not bad at all.

Just waiting for my fitter to get the heads in stock so i can get fitted for the combo set with uihi in 4-3 iron.

Got the Hogan’s out on the course again today. Only got 11 holes in before we got rained out. Very Impressed with Hogan combo set again. I am getting extremely comfortable with these irons.
I have said it before but I will say it again the combo blends really well together.
hope to get out play again tomorrow

@Jman @sposey013168 @KEV @ddec What are y’all’s gapping distance between the 7 and 8 irons? I’m curious for the guys playing the PTx Pro 7i versus the the ICON 7i, do you see bigger distance gap at the blending point?

Back