Ben Hogan Player's Combo Set

That's awesome to have a 1 of 1 set like that

Can’t wait to get these back on the course tomorrow. These irons have made excited about golf even in the worse year in the history of the world

Can’t wait to get these back on the course tomorrow. These irons have made excited about golf even in the worse year in the history of the world

And you are safe...Still the only black finish combo set and that isn't changing for our THP Experience.

So decision day is approaching, and I'm truly torn. As someone who needs custom specs (+1", up 2*) it's tough to get a feel for how irons play when demoing them in standard specs when they're so different from what you're used to. The main appeal for the combo set for me is the opportunity to go with UiHi in the 4 iron. Then I think, if that's my thought should I just go with the Edge?

And you are safe...Still the only black finish combo set and that isn't changing for our THP Experience.
How cool does 1 of 1 sound.
Big money game tomorrow so hopefully I will win money with my free irons, that’s hard to beat

So decision day is approaching, and I'm truly torn. As someone who needs custom specs (+1", up 2*) it's tough to get a feel for how irons play when demoing them in standard specs when they're so different from what you're used to. The main appeal for the combo set for me is the opportunity to go with UiHi in the 4 iron. Then I think, if that's my thought should I just go with the Edge?
I have not the hit edge so I can’t comment on them but I can tell you the combo set is very playable and the UiHi would be a great for with them

I have not the hit edge so I can’t comment on them but I can tell you the combo set is very playable and the UiHi would be a great for with them
Ugh, so many tough choices to make. Was hoping you'd say the Icons are a bear :ROFLMAO:

I’ll be going for the utility iron if I can make the jump.

Hard when I have two new sets with 5 rounds on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coming from a 6 year old nike vapor pro combo set i bet i will, sadly the icon is not ready for the fitting, but ptx and uihi are ready :D

coming from a 6 year old nike vapor pro combo set i bet i will, sadly the icon is not ready for the fitting, but ptx and uihi are ready :D
Unless you are dieing for a set of clubs I recommend waiting till the Icons are available to hit. Just my $.02

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Unless you are dieing for a set of clubs I recommend waiting till the Icons are available to hit. Just my $.02

That was also my intention but getting demo heads in Europe has proven a difficult task.
My fitter and I have been talking since the combo set was announced in the spring, and the ptx irons have been in stock since then, but the uihi only came in 2 weeks ag and the icons are on they way
We will test/fit for shafts this weekend and i will decide the final setup after an on course test with a test ptx 6 iron and a uihi 4 iron with the shaft we choose. :)

I got my combo set last night. 30 days from day of order, so right in line with their message as well as posts on other forums.

I was pleasantly surprised with the head size and top line of the Ptx Pros. I was a little concerned they would be larger/same size as my current gamers (JPX 800 Pro), but they are more compact and blend so nicely to the Icons. Another positive, for me, is the grey Utx grip. The images I'd seen online looked to be a grip with the Ben Hogan logo and were navy and grey. Mine came with these, https://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/utx-golf-grips/, which I really like. Purely aesthetic review at this point but hope to get them out later this week.

Last edited:
I got my combo set last night. 30 days from day of order, so right in line with their message as well as posts on other forums.

I was pleasantly surprised with the head size and top line of the Ptx Pros. I was a little concerned they would be larger/same size as my current gamers (JPX 800 Pro), but they are more compact and blend so nicely to the Icons. Another positive, is the grey Utx grip. The images I'd seen online looked to be a grip with the Ben Hogan logo and were navy and grey. Mine came with these, https://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/utx-golf-grips/, which I really like. Purely aesthetic review at this point but hope to get them out later this week.

Im not a UTx guy, but looking forward to your thoughts on the clubs as you get to play them.

I was pleasantly surprised with the head size and top line of the Ptx Pros. I was a little concerned they would be larger/same size as my current gamers (JPX 800 Pro), but they are more compact and blend so nicely to the Icons. Another positive, for me, is the grey Utx grip. The images I'd seen online looked to be a grip with the Ben Hogan logo and were navy and grey. Mine came with these, https://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/utx-golf-grips/, which I really like. Purely aesthetic review at this point but hope to get them out later this week.
Can’t wait to hear your feedback on the clubs

Going to play this afternoon, I store my clubs at my CC so can’t a picture now but will take a new picture when I get to the club, the DBM finish is amazing. Except for my patented toe misses you can’t even tell these have been played

Going to play this afternoon, I store my clubs at my CC so can’t a picture now but will take a new picture when I get to the club, the DBM finish is amazing. Except for my patented toe misses you can’t even tell these have been played
It takes some serious beatings before you will notice anything. Best of all a quick wipe of WD40 cleans them right up. Bag chatter is also a thing of the past.....

Well I found a source for the 8, 9 and PW and ordered the Icon blacks. This is how I really wanted the set to begin with but in black, which they didn't offer.
I just couldn't pull the trigger on a chrome combo set which in a way I'm glad I didn't.

I played the Nike Pro combos for a while and loved the upper blade portion, especially that PW. Have any of you played the Nikes and if so, any comparison to the Icons? Heavy ponder for the Hogan PTx Pro/Icon set up.

I played the Nike Pro combos for a while and loved the upper blade portion, especially that PW. Have any of you played the Nikes and if so, any comparison to the Icons? Heavy ponder for the Hogan PTx Pro/Icon set up.
These are more efficient irons, and I say that being a Nike iron fanboy. Better feel, better turf performance by far with the vsole, and imo a much better look. In the end, they’re a split set with blades in them though, player performance will vary based on ball striking, ya know?

Amazing irons.

Thanks Jman. Would you say that if I was able to manage the Nike Pro blades (8-PW) I will be ok with the Icon blade portion of this set? Like I said those Nike Pro combo blades have a fantastic feel in the weight and impact, I was comfortable down to the cavity backed 3-iron as well.

Thanks Jman. Would you say that if I was able to manage the Nike Pro blades (8-PW) I will be ok with the Icon blade portion of this set? Like I said those Nike Pro combo blades have a fantastic feel in the weight and impact, I was comfortable down to the cavity backed 3-iron as well.
If you’re comfortable with blades, then absolutely. These are much more playable, check out the ICON thread and you’ll see the same feedback, for MB‘a theyre freakishly playable....and a ton of fun! ;)

Played Hogan blades or Edge for years these appear to be an updated nice mix of classic looks but let us know your feedback on performance soon?

Played Hogan blades or Edge for years these appear to be an updated nice mix of classic looks but let us know your feedback on performance soon?
Lots of thoughts through this thread on performance as well (y)

Back