Ben Hogan Player's Combo Set

Not going to lie, that’s a pretty set. Glad you like them, but kinda sad that they’re working so well you don’t want to take them out. I guess the CMB’s are going to be the back ups?

Not going to lie, that’s a pretty set. Glad you like them, but kinda sad that they’re working so well you don’t want to take them out. I guess the CMB’s are going to be the back ups?
They were always going to be backups, I put that out there from the start. I enjoy having some for fun sets in the staffers of the man cave(y)

I have a set in my cart! How could I explain this one? Hmmm.
Blame the golf club reviewer on the website you frequent. I’m good for it.

Man are those freaking good looking irons or what.. I’ve never played hogan irons so can’t comment on playability but they sure look good.

Really nice looking set for sure. Would be fun to give them all a go. I expected better from BHG on hitting the requested specs though.

I did too, but I demo'd the PTX Pro's last summer that were supposed to be standard and they were so flat I couldn't get any sort of inkling if I'd actually like them or not. I was 90% leaning Hogan and ended up ordering another brand.

For those curious, here were the checked specs. Excuse the short hand, but all these numbers are compared to stock and not from the 2 up I ordered.

I chalk it up to them being absolutely swamped right now. It’s a bummer, but, it’s fixable.

By the way, these are one of the easiest to bend sets I’ve ever had on a Mitchell.

2E95BB3A-4EE7-4FF7-839F-0DC6991AF81A.png

@Jman - it is fixable, and I have everything to build clubs outside of a loft/lie machine. I'm the most well equipped person at my club, and I wouldn't be able to fix it. Sure, I could take them to the one specialty store in the area and pay $100 to have them bent, but there's absolutely no reason to have to do that. 99.9% of golfers won't be able to fix clubs that far off from spec without paying. As great as these clubs seem to be it kind of sours me more on Hogan. I will add this the exact reason why this is the best forum there is. A great review on a great set of clubs with full transparency. That sir, is much appreciated.

Last edited:
One thing that shocked me when I got the demos is the Ptx it really didn't look all that much bigger or different. Definitely bigger but not as much as I thought it would be. But almost as equally as beautiful as the ICONs. Which are the best looking irons I have ever personally hit.

Last edited:
Blame the golf club reviewer on the website you frequent. I’m good for it.

Yeah I blame that guy for my order.

Thoughts?

Well fine, after mowing 10 acres and wrangling the wild Miles herd for bedtime, I guess I can finally share some thoughts.

First, after writing golf reviews for THP for I believe 8 years now, I’m not a believer in “getting to know you” range sessions and easing clubs into the rotation, no way, golf is an adventure so they go right to the course. The Hogan Player’s Combo set is no different, I’ve been legit golfing my ball the past week and a half, finally out of the woods with my swing and finding form again, so coming off four rounds in the 70’s in a row with Miura CB 1008’s, these had what I believed to be an uphill climb.

I was wrong.

So, here we go.

1) The ICON’s and the Pro’s blend FLAWLESSLY, not just in performance but looks and profile as well. I had NO issues swinging from PTx to ICON, at all. Nor is there any awkward feel change at that 7/8 irons exchange, @Canadan will love that, they really to blend.

2) They feel SO EFFING GOOD. I’m coming from Miura 1008’s and NL 902’s recently, and though there’s some hate for one of those brands out there, those two sets are some of the BEST feeling/sounding irons I’ve put into play, ever. These are as good and in time maybe better. @KEV and @ddec are spot in with their feedback in the ICON thread (GO READ IT!) and I’m in agreement here. The feel is pure, it’s flush, it’s plush, it’s acoustically pleasing, it’s not clicky, and both irons in my set offer feedback to contact position still.

3) Flight. I expected a little more spin given I’ve played the Pro’s and the ICON are MB’s and for me in the irons I am back to a place I want that more than sheer distance, I’m long enough so give me workability and flight. I’ve seen both here so far, I just some really beautiful peaking shots into greens today that just danced on the greens, not only that I could hit flighted shots with the ICONS that were fun, and really feather some draws and fades into pins. I had sheer fun today.

4) I blame @Canadan for the KBS Tour V always being amazing for him, and me, even though we have different swings. It’s insane, but I’m now hesitant to put in these Onyx elevate X100’a I have, we will see if my body holds up.

5) My distance is good. I can play my Tec’s and hit a CONSISTENT 175 yard 8i...but honestly I don’t need to. I want 160-165 there and I thought the ICON would be short, but they aren’t, they’re spot on. More than that, the Pro’s aren’t causing a gap issue in the 7 to 8, which is a huge question of mine so far checked off.

I’ll have more soon, another 18-36 tomorrow, but for now I’ll leave this here. And @J.B. Cobb III no, no UiHi feedback for you....yet. (Yes I’m holding back ;))

A live look at @Jman

Da__ you, @Jman. I am so happy with my Forged Tecs. It just isn’t fair to make me think and wonder, could I game something that looks so good?

@Jman excellent first thoughts on these. I am currently gaming a combo set of NL 902’s and 623’s. Would the icon combo be close in the forgiveness department, similar distance? I really like the feel of the NL’s so I would imagine I would enjoy the feel of this combo as well.

@Jman excellent first thoughts on these. I am currently gaming a combo set of NL 902’s and 623’s. Would the icon combo be close in the forgiveness department, similar distance? I really like the feel of the NL’s so I would imagine I would enjoy the feel of this combo as well.
The ICON’s have a wider sole than the 623’s that I owned, 902 and PTx Pro though are close, edge to Pro with their hollow body design in the 5-7.

Da__ you, @Jman. I am so happy with my Forged Tecs. It just isn’t fair to make me think and wonder, could I game something that looks so good?
Time to take a demo my friend.

Now, we both know they’re not as playable/forgiving as the Tec’s, nor will they offer the same ball speeds. I’m just one of those who hits a more demanding setup better, Ive been told I’m crazy for that for years now, but, it remains the truth for me.

For those curious, here were the checked specs. Excuse the short hand, but all these numbers are compared to stock and not from the 2 up I ordered.

I chalk it up to them being absolutely swamped right now. It’s a bummer, but, it’s fixable.

By the way, these are one of the easiest to bend sets I’ve ever had on a Mitchell.

View attachment 8947230
Well this is not a rare problem, just about any irons from any OEM will be off, in my experience Callaway is one of the worst but even a set of high end Miura's were off spec. I have not had the Honma's checked yet but it would not surprise me at all. Just looking at them at addres they look upright to me.

Well this is not a rare problem, just about any irons from any OEM will be off, in my experience Callaway is one of the worst but even a set of high end Miura's were off spec. I have not had the Honma's checked yet but it would not surprise me at all. Just looking at them at addres they look upright to me.
I’ve had issues with many, that’s why I’ve started calling behind my order to confirm specs and since then I’ve had no issues with Callaway or TM. That said, this isn’t a deal breaker for me but it is worth talking about, the fact that they were all flat of standard is what has me a little confused. In the end, they’ve been bent to spec on loft and 2 up on lie angle now and it’s all good.

I’ll be on the course for 18-36 today, so I’ll have more feedback to add to the giant post up above, this evening.

I’ll be on the course for 18-36 today, so I’ll have more feedback to add to the giant post up above, this evening.
UiHi thoughts as well? Or are you rebuilding it?

I'm extremely intrigued right now with Ben Hogan Irons.

UiHi thoughts as well? Or are you rebuilding it?

I'm extremely intrigued right now with Ben Hogan Irons.
Will be doing a full review on the UiHi for the homepage, so I’ll have a new thread specifically for that one in a day or two.

I did hit it, and the recoil isn’t the best setup for me, so today I’ll hit it some more with more effort to get the face back square and through. Feel is impeccable, on par with the Srixon U85 which is high praise from me.

I. Am. Smitten.

I. Am. Smitten.
You're going to end up making me want to order a combo set to have in addition to the ICON's if you don't stop this. 😁

Back