Ben Hogan Precision Milled Putters

Damn dude, your daughter broke her arm and you still managed to get out. Glad to see you're still alive, my wife would kill me!
Oh, trust me. I made sure she's was doing fine first. Wasn't gone too long.

She got hurt at 11, I went to the range at 6:30. She was content as could be sitting on the couch. My wife actually suggested that I go to get out of the house.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have used the BHB03 for several rounds now so ready to give some detailed thoughts on it.

Looks: It is very consistent with a putter head that has always fit my eye well. Am also a big fan of the flow neck. Coming off of using a straight shaft SeeMore pretty much exclusively for the past year and a half, it has taken a little while to get used to looking at a putter with a full shaft offset.

Feel: I love the feel/sound of this putter. The putter yields a nice solid feel and non-high pitched sound when the ball is struck. There is a distinctly different sound and feel when a putt is struck towards the toe or heel. The one thing I continue to struggle with, but am getting a little more comfortable with, is the head heavy feeling (to me) of this putter. In all fairness, the listed head weight of 355 grams is about 10 grams heavier than what I have been playing. I also own 2 T.P. Mills handmade putters in the mid-350 gram weight range and the BHB03 feels noticeably head heavier than those 2 putters.

Alignment: I find the putter very easy to align to my intended line. The putter just has one simple flange alignment line but that is plenty for me. Less is more in regards to alignment aids on a putter for me.

Distance Control: This aspect has given me the most trouble because of the head heavy feeling I noted earlier. This aspect is improving for me with every round though so I don't consider it to me a long-term issue. Just a matter of getting completely comfortable with the feel of the putter.

Grip: I am not a SuperStroke grip fan so I had to change it after one round. I have tried 2 different grips, and 3 different configurations, to get a more comfortable for me grip and also to counterbalance the putter a little to take away some of the head heavy feeling. I have settled on my normal grip (a discontinued standard sized Lamkin smooth pistol grip) with two 9 inch strips of high density lead tape adhered to the shaft under the grip.

Head Cover: Love the looks, being a huge Hogan homer, but am not a fan of the velcro closure. Even though it is not a high quality grip, it would be in my bag if it had a magnetic closure. Fortunately I have some non-OEM magnetic covers so not a big deal to me.

Gkeller813 would you consider the BHM01 putter a full mallet like a Odyssey Tuttle or TM Spider or a mid-mallet like a Cleveland HB #6?

BHM01 I would say is more of a mid mallet in looks, similar to the Cleveland HB #6. But, it does have more weight to it, 370 vs 360. So as far as weight is concerned, it's more in line with the Tuttle.

The only mallet style putter I have experience with, and I only used it for a few putts, was the TM spider and I couldn't get past the looks. Too non traditional for me, coming from a blade. The BHM01 is pleasing to my eye and frames the ball nicely. I felt like I had more distance control with the BHM01 vs the Spider, but again my experience with the Spider is limited.

In summary, I think this is more a mid-mallet based on looks, and feels better, in my limited experience, than a full mallett.

I just want to chirp back in on my BHB02. I have absolutely been lights out with this putter. It is really uncanny how good I am putting with it. Putting has gone from a needs improvement to the best part of my game. I am leaving every single long putt really close and I am making more than my fair share inside of 10'. This putter and I just get along like peas and carrots. If the beginning of my season is any indication I believe I am going to shed 2 or 3 strokes off my handicap and get below a 20. My putting is at least 2 strokes a round better so this club will play a major role in that improvement. The feel and design just match my stroke perfectly. Bravo Hogan Golf!!

Good news DataDude,
I took a hard pass, but that is only because I love my gamer. Love has no reason.
Ben Hogan Golf did a fine job with the precision milled putter line. You can make your own mind up about the looks, but the equipment performs.

Interested where everyone else is at with these flatsticks.

So gotta brag again. My goal this year was to break 90 at least once and I just shot an 83 from the whites at my club!!!! Best score before that was a 94 from the blacks and a 93 from the whites. Anyway, I made 8', 12', and 25' putts for birdie today. 3 is my personal high. I also rocked in a 12' and a 15' to "save" double bogeys on 2 holes and another 15' putt for a par. I did not miss a single putt inside of 5' on 8 tries. Did I mention this putter is my favorite club in my bag? I am lights freaking out right now on the green with this thing. It was so crazy today the guy I played with walked up to a 7' on hole 12 and said that's a gimme (I made it anyway LOL!) Thank you Ben Hogan! Thank you THP!

I just tabulated my round I made about 120' of putts today and took 28 putts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Confession time. The first 6 or 7 times I bagged the BHB03 I really didn't care for it much. Just felt too head heavy to me and was having a really hard time with distance control. Fast forward about a month and now I don't see it leaving the bag anytime soon. I guess it took me some time to get a feel for it. Distance control has been far from a problem over the last 5 or 6 rounds and I now have complete confidence in it.

Second time out during a round, and the BHM01 and I did not get along. Hole #2 and I hit a 15 footer for birdie, and I'm loving this putter. However, that was my lone putting highlight of the day. Still not used to the weight difference from my old Cleveland. I think it got into my head, and I had no confidence. On #18 I had a five footer to end the round with a birdie, and I miss by at least a cup left. Hopefully with more rounds I gain some confidence back.

Our greens were punched and sanded Monday so I am giving the BHB03 a couple of weeks off. Don't want to risk messing up the beautiful finish in any way with all that sand on the greens.

I went with the BHB01 which is same plumbers neck style putter I am currently gaming. The milling on the face is really solid and I love the way that it feels when you hit the ball. After my 2 rounds with it I'm a big fan so far of the actual putter. The only thing I need to try and get used to is the super stroke grip as I have never gamed one and am used to the thinner putter grips which I like. It was an adjustment so I'm hoping that when I get it on the course at home a few times it will be more comfortable for me. Can't wait to get it back on the course and roll it some more.

I went with the BHB02, that’s the double bend blade. I putted horribly Saturday as I just couldn’t get the speed of the greens. Sunday was a little different. I putted very well for me and the putter came up big for me when it needed to. It fits my stroke well. I love the look, feel, & balance. I’m not really one to change putters very often so I think this one will be in the bag for awhile. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes on the slow greens I’m used to after the glass tabletops they call greens at Gaylord Springs.

Getting some work in with the new putter
1471881a9f2d691afe13b1468caa066d.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Getting used to the grip?
I am, the more times I'm using it the more normal it feels. Starting to get real comfortable with it.

I am, the more times I'm using it the more normal it feels. Starting to get real comfortable with it.

They seem to help some if you have a tendency to get too “handsy”

I went with the BHM01, a CNC milled 1020 carbon steel putter. Ben Hogan's take on the mallet. Putting is a weakness in my game, however when I make the adjustments needed, I can get on runs. My home course is thicker, slower greens with lots of breaks. Gaylord Springs are the fastest greens I've ever putted on. They were blistering fast for my practice round, and only slowed slightly a week later after some serious rain. With three rounds in 3 days I did adjust and day two and three I made some speed appropriate putts. Some dropped, some did not. I'm a firm believer golf is 70% Indian, 30% arrow, these are really good putters, not miracle workers. These are solid built, and the price point puts them in the mid-lower for factory putters. I think for a milled face putter, the price point is great. I've seen some reviews talking about the price point in relation to the rest of the BH lineup. With a background in manufacturing, I can say this with authority. Ben Hogan didn't go cheap in materials nor process on this one. They are using quality grips, shafts are I suppose industry standard, so not much to do there. But there is cost and process to offer bent and double bend shafts. Then we get to the head, 1020 is a soft forging, that is used in wedges & irons. It's not a cheap material and neither is cnc milling. Most companies are going to rely on stamping or inserts to reduce cost for face texture. Then comes the DBM(Diamonized Black Metal)finish Ben Hogan is using across their product lineup. This incredibly durable and dark finish is wear resistant. Lots of golf companies are beginning to use it or something similar because it's even more durable than chrome. It doesn't appear BH cut any cost on these. You can see its a midsize head. It's smaller than the Rho, and similar shaped to the Rossi, but slightly larger than it.

Looks: The milling is a little shallower, less aggressive than my Newport 1.5 and my Cleveland Rho, but the fit and finish is clean. I didn't have any issues squaring the face or aligning the putter. It does have a bright white alignment mark on top, some will like that, others will not. I had my Newport refinished to include a similar alignment mark. Being a mid-handicapper, it gives me a line on my putts. The rest of the club is fairly understated. The bottom has two recessed cuts, I'm sure to make weight(370g). There is some white filled lettering giving company name and model number are visible from the back but not at address. I like the looks of this both at address and in hand.
Feel: The carbon body and milled face give a soft feel on putts. On blistering fast greens, the BHM01 just requires just a slight bump to get rolling. It feels good on the takeaway and at impact. I've had other putters that didn't feel balanced thru the stroke, this one does and doesn't induce a toe or hosel heavy stroke. At my home course with thicker covering, it requires a bit more motivation and by proxy, more adjustment. Either way this flatstick is up to the job.

Conclusion: The Ben Hogan Event gave me access to completely new lineup that I didn't really pay it's due diligence to before as many others also do not. I suspect as I work on my reviews and my game with the Hogan equipment I will see more of the same. Don't sleep on anything in their lineup. Demo it, take home and give it swings in your setting. I will go into a little more depth with my review once I get a little more time. At this point, it's a solid putter for the money.
f794f8fd9c86c17ead9f6df7dbc44c3b.jpg
ede44ce15d81815356726a44a39fa082.jpg
763e257baeb14bf16b5a9e452a998185.jpg
9777527fbfbcc97a183e26d2a6eddedd.jpg
6387e7475a8682f31822b75ad2c26bc1.jpg
08d38453b85d2789c8963a593308c463.jpg
79a2bee6bbe96387be513be438b56e92.jpg
86f503fa1602106a4d84e2fa69522070.jpg
b78edd52620beef2afc12ea25a949665.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I went with the BHB02, that’s the double bend blade. I putted horribly Saturday as I just couldn’t get the speed of the greens. Sunday was a little different. I putted very well for me and the putter came up big for me when it needed to. It fits my stroke well. I love the look, feel, & balance. I’m not really one to change putters very often so I think this one will be in the bag for awhile. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes on the slow greens I’m used to after the glass tabletops they call greens at Gaylord Springs.

Glad to see another BHB02 on the board!! I find on slower greens making sure I accelerate through the ball is important.

Good review Qwkz51. I too have the BHM01. I went to this from a blade style putter, so my transition has had it's ups and down. Like you said, it's the Indian and not the Arrow in this case. It is taking me some time to get used to the heavier weight of the mallet, and until I can get more consistent practice in, I've been using my blade just because my comfort level is greater with it. Like a security blanket on the greens.

That takes nothing away from the fit, finish, and feel of the Ben Hogan. All are very good. Good luck, and I look forward to hearing more thoughts on the BHM01!

Glad to see another BHB02 on the board!! I find on slower greens making sure I accelerate through the ball is important.

I haven’t had a chance to get out since getting back home but it’s gonna be interesting. I love the putter though. I really like that it’s a wider blade. It really sets up perfect for me

After 5 rounds at home since the event I'm really getting used to the putter and it's working very well. I love the feel off the face and the ball really gets rolling nicely after impact.

I'm really, really liking this putter. Like most others on here, I have a selection of putters to choose from and yet, this might be the one. I normally struggle when I switch clubs and putters are no different. The first day in Nashville, once I adjusted to the speed of the greens, I started rolling them much closer. On Sunday, more started to drop. Once I adjusted to the very different speed of my home greens, I've started seeing my putts per hole start to come down. I feel real comfortable inside 8' with this putter. That might not sound great to most, but as the weakest part of the game to go from 2/3 putts to 1/2 is substantial. Now I've got to get the rest of my game in line and seeing those scores start coming down!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Finally got in 9 after work today. Didn’t putt very well but it wasn’t the putter. I hit my line almost every time and the ball rolled true, I just couldn’t get used to the slow greens. Around hole 7 I finally figured it out and finished with 2 straight 1 putts and a 2 putt par from about 50’.

The BHB02 looks and feels amazing. It fits my SBST stroke perfectly. The weight and balance seem to fit me pretty well also.

I actually did really well with it on putts less than 8’ but long putts I had a hard time with. But the greens are running about 1/3 the speed of the greens where I played last so I’m not gonna blame the putter for my lack of feel.

I’m not one to change putters often and I really like this one so it’ll probably be in the bag for a very long time. I’ll keep updating as I play more.

I liked the picture.

WEB2694112-350D7BA5-55D1-82BD-3A19-7F0B6604DFAB.jpg

Gaining confidence in this putter each time I get it out on the course. At first I struggled with the super stroke grip (never owned one, always play the normal rubber grip which isn't near as thick) but am completely used to it now and really liking it. I love how the ball comes off the face; it's such a soft feeling for me and makes it really easy to stroke. I made 5 putts outside 6 feet today which really helped reel in what was a not great round.

Back