Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

I hadn't had a chance to see a Ben Hogan club in hand up until I was afforded the opportunity to review the new putter lineup. The quality of the putter really has put them on my radar. I love the direct to consumer concept and their pricing is insanely reasonable. I have been and still am content with my 2016 Apex Pro's. But, this reveal really has me contemplating these. Part is because of the price. The other part is my inner desire to always root for the little guy. Once I get word that the courses are opening, I am pulling the trigger on the demo program. Looks like it would be an 8 and 5 iron. Will give a good idea on how the hollow design compares to the solid.

One of the knocks on the originals was that they were high spin. Do you know if they addressed this with the Pros, JB?

I love the look and the prominent Ben Hogan signature. They look like a serious players club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, the spin was only a problem on the shorter irons with the titanium. So I'm not sure this is going to be any different, outside of the one mid iron that is going from titanium to hollow body.

Went ahead and ordered the demo clubs. The web page is now accepting shipping on these fyi

If they are as good or better than the original PTx, I think you will love them.

I just sent them an email about the lack of availability of a few recent clubs I would like to trade in. I am looking to go fully into them ASAP so am getting my strategy together. A demo would just tease me! Haha

For me, the spin was only a problem on the shorter irons with the titanium. So I'm not sure this is going to be any different, outside of the one mid iron that is going from titanium to hollow body.

How much spin are we talking? Did it leave a big gap from mid to short iron distances? Spin is my friend and have found that most modern designs have went the opposite direction.

How much spin are we talking? Did it leave a big gap from mid to short iron distances? Spin is my friend and have found that most modern designs have went the opposite direction.

I have been playing them for 10 months and have found no distance gapping issues at all. PW - 4 iron are all right at 10 yard gaps for me.

I have been playing them for 10 months and have found no distance gapping issues at all. PW - 4 iron are all right at 10 yard gaps for me.

Thanks. Since they are still a small percentage of the market share, I haven't stumbled upon too much info on them. Since they haven't really been on my radar, I haven't really searched it out either. Today was the first I heard any mention of a spin issue.

Thanks. Since they are still a small percentage of the market share, I haven't stumbled upon too much info on them. Since they haven't really been on my radar, I haven't really searched it out either. Today was the first I heard any mention of a spin issue.

We have one of the largest (it might be the largest) reviews threads on the internet on the previous line. My gut says that will be the same with this line as well.

We have one of the largest (it might be the largest) reviews threads on the internet on the previous line. My gut says that will be the same with this line as well.

Oh yeah. Thanks for the heads up! I plan on trying to digest that this evening when I am not at work. Hard to take it all in when I am pretending to work :D

What a time to be playing golf! The equipment companies continue to put our really good offerings!
I have never really wanted to try Hogan irons until these. They look great.

I wouldn't say they have spin "issues", but some have reported this.

I wouldn't say they have spin "issues", but some have reported this.

Yeah, everyone's swing is different and their games require different things from a club. So, what may be too much spin for some, may be ideal for others. It gets pretty breezy up in these parts, so I have to find a happy medium of not imparting too much spin and getting man handled by the wind and having too little spin and gaining unneeded distance. Doesn't help that I play from the rough more than I should. Flyers can be a game killer.

Yeah, everyone's swing is different and their games require different things from a club. So, what may be too much spin for some, may be ideal for others. It gets pretty breezy up in these parts, so I have to find a happy medium of not imparting too much spin and getting man handled by the wind and having too little spin and gaining unneeded distance. Doesn't help that I play from the rough more than I should. Flyers can be a game killer.

I'm the exception to the rule when it comes to spin, in that I spin too much with most clubs. The PTx just amplified that. I didn't notice any gapping issues. I was at the Hogan event and hit a green with a full swing of the PW (46* I think) and spun the ball back 15+ feet and off the front of the green. They punished me for good shots. Several months later I actually got them on Trackman and my spin with the 6 iron was around 8k. I spun Mizuno MP-5 blades around 1k less that day. With that in mind, I guess there is the potential for your average golfer to get the distance control/consistent spin of true muscle backs built into a more forgiving cavity back design in the PTx/PTxPro.

I'm the exception to the rule when it comes to spin, in that I spin too much with most clubs. The PTx just amplified that. I didn't notice any gapping issues. I was at the Hogan event and hit a green with a full swing of the PW (46* I think) and spun the ball back 15+ feet and off the front of the green. They punished me for good shots. Several months later I actually got them on Trackman and my spin with the 6 iron was around 8k. I spun Mizuno MP-5 blades around 1k less that day. With that in mind, I guess there is the potential for your average golfer to get the distance control/consistent spin of true muscle backs built into a more forgiving cavity back design in the PTx/PTxPro.

How are those PXGs for you spin wise?

Thanks for sharing the feedback.

Spin is one part of the equation I’m interested to read more about. The original PTx were higher spin for me. I liked that except for when playing in wind, especially a headvwind. I also found them to be easy launchers so I’m a bit curious on the idea that these will be higher launchers.

How are those PXGs for you spin wise?

I haven’t hit them on a monitor, so I can’t say for sure. But based on how the perform, I’m assuming they are close to normal for me at around 1k over the thrown around ideal (6k for a 6 iron, 7k for a 7i, etc.). I still spin back the PW on approach shots, but maybe 1-2 feet. It’s more like a bounce back and roll instead of a hard spin that looks like it’s being sucked back on a string.

Ugh! Wish they offered these in LH. I just went to the site to do the demo program and no dice for us lefties. Shame.

These are some fine looking BH irons....

Looking forward to doing some testing in TX next week for a bit.

Oh wowza!

Just now seeing this after getting home and man those are pretty!

Those are really sweet. Love the looks. Very classy looking. Would love to try them out.

Those are really sweet. Love the looks. Very classy looking. Would love to try them out.

Their demo program is set up now I believe Tim.

Looking forward to doing some testing in TX next week for a bit.

And I am certainly looking forward to reading about it!

ya know what? I kind of the dig them and can't wait to hear and learn more about them. Honestly, that's the first time I've said that about this brand since they rebooted for the first time years ago at the PGA Show.

ya know what? I kind of the dig them and can't wait to hear and learn more about them. Honestly, that's the first time I've said that about this brand since they rebooted for the first time years ago at the PGA Show.

They found a way to be classic and modern. Pretty cool.

Back