Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

Qwkz51;n8904608 said:
3 month review:

PTX Pros:
I really, really like these irons. It's no surprise that Hogan has the iron game figured out. These irons have been spectacular for me from the go. I've hit bad shots with them, but I'm really confident on the ball being where I aim when I swing these. Hogan chose to go with a traditional loft number vs the trend of lifting up for bigger distances. These are shorter than my previous gamers, close to a club and half in some instances. That being said it's just an adjustment. I still have plenty of club to get from the tee to the green with their offerings. The look of these is great and the only thing I would trade for is the Black PTX that were released post event. These will be in the bag for a long time, very impressed with these.

My overall rating looks like this:
Playability: 9/10
Looks: 9/10
Fit & Finish: 9/10
Sound: 10/10
Forgiveness: 9/10
Bang for the $$$: 10/10

Final Notes:
I don't know if a perfect club exist, but these are way up there on my list. The only thing I could imagine that could be improved would be the loft adjustments to a stronger, more modern loft. Outside that, these are really good irons even for a mid-handicap player such as myself. I can only imagine how impressive these would be for someone who could actually bend a shot at their desire. A keeper for sure!

I bent my original PTx 2 degrees strong with no problem. Actually gives me a better launch and spin. Up to two degrees shouldn’t impact bounce and offset enough to make a real difference.

TRA024;n8904974 said:
I bent my original PTx 2 degrees strong with no problem. Actually gives me a better launch and spin. Up to two degrees shouldn’t impact bounce and offset enough to make a real difference.

It's definitely up for consideration in the off-season. Being this is my first set of forged, what is the max they will adjust on loft?

Qwkz51;n8905368 said:
It's definitely up for consideration in the off-season. Being this is my first set of forged, what is the max they will adjust on loft?

The guys at Hogan said not to go more than 2*. More than that will start to affect the V sole

LLIB;n8905410 said:
The guys at Hogan said not to go more than 2*. More than that will start to affect the V sole

Got same answer from Hogan, also remember that TXG guys have been talking about 2 degrees as still ok. If anything I felt like the sole played even better after the tweak.

I'm playing some poor golf overall right now, but my iron game has fallen into a fantastic little groove where I have complete confidence with pretty much every shot. Granted, I'll still miss-hit them every once in a while, but I've all but eliminated the penal miss-hit. I think I've only taken 2 swings that have resulted in a penalty with my irons in the last 63 holes, which for me is pretty damn good. My scoring around the green has been absolutely abysmal lately.

Had started to struggle with these and switched back to the Srixon 565s with the Recoil 110s and am hitting the ball better. I need to get some 110's in these iron heads because I am a huge fan of the irons but the shafts just aren't for me.

OhioGolfer;n8906227 said:
Had started to struggle with these and switched back to the Srixon 565s with the Recoil 110s and am hitting the ball better. I need to get some 110's in these iron heads because I am a huge fan of the irons but the shafts just aren't for me.
Which recoil are in in your Hogan irons?

Qwkz51;n8906254 said:
Which recoil are in in your Hogan irons?

780’s (82gr)

Is there a reason the irons are only available in half inch adjustment and not quarter inch ones?

fistfullofbeer;n8906882 said:
Is there a reason the irons are only available in half inch adjustment and not quarter inch ones?

Give them a call. They’d probably adjust them 1/4”

Swing weights might be a bit wonky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just have to say “Wow” as I received the PTX Pro 6i & 9i with rRecoil shafts to demo yesterday. I just have to say these look so much better in person. Definitely pleasing to look at. Heading out to the range later to take a few swings.

mmaynard11;n8908035 said:
I just have to say “Wow” as I received the PTX Pro 6i & 9i with rRecoil shafts to demo yesterday. I just have to say these look so much better in person. Definitely pleasing to look at. Heading out to the range later to take a few swings.

Mine came in Thursday. Hoping to finish up my “just get it done” list enough before kickoff that I can get to the range.

Maybe it was first date best behavior but I really like these irons. They had that great crisp feeling of a weIl struck shot that my irons don’t really give you. I was concerned about the much lighter weight shaft (Recoil 780 smacwrap F4) but the clubs didn’t feel unusually light. My tendency with them (about a buck with each) was to move the ball a little more right to left than normal. The ball flight was beautiful. Given the loft differences, my ballpark guess is that I was a club to club and a half shorter but tomorrow on the course, I’ll have a better idea. Off-center strikes were a club or more shorter than what I get with mine, depending on how poorly hit.

@2BFAST when I said forgiving, here's an example from today. Obviously not the optimal contact spot on my 6I, yet...it still went 200yds(pin was 195) and landed on the green it left me with an easy 2 putt par.

Attachments

• 20190914_114649.jpg
    20190914_114649.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 17
Maybe it was first date best behavior but I really like these irons. They had that great crisp feeling of a weIl struck shot that my irons don’t really give you. I was concerned about the much lighter weight shaft (Recoil 780 smacwrap F4) but the clubs didn’t feel unusually light. My tendency with them (about a buck with each) was to move the ball a little more right to left than normal. The ball flight was beautiful. Given the loft differences, my ballpark guess is that I was a club to club and a half shorter but tomorrow on the course, I’ll have a better idea. Off-center strikes were a club or more shorter than what I get with mine, depending on how poorly hit.

Interesting I found them to be a club longer. I can’t tell you the last time I hit a 150yd 9i.

I want these clubs in the bag now...

DAABC610-AF9F-4F46-9ADC-31F96655F6F9.jpeg

Interesting I found them to be a club longer. I can’t tell you the last time I hit a 150yd 9i.

View attachment 8908079
While loft isn't the only factor in distance, it can play a role in who sees a gain or a loss in traditional lofted irons like these vs their previous clubs.

In today’s round, I was about a half club shorter with the PTx Pro. My 6 iron (25°) comfort range is 185-200, the PTx (30°) today was 8-10 yards less. My 9 iron (38°) comfort range is 145-155, the PTx Pro (42°) was about 10 less.

In today’s round, I was about a half club shorter with the PTx Pro. My 6 iron (25°) comfort range is 185-200, the PTx (30°) today was 8-10 yards less. My 9 iron (38°) comfort range is 145-155, the PTx Pro (42°) was about 10 less.

How was the ball flight height? Do you think they were shorter because of a higher flight?

Height was more or less the same.

How was the ball flight height? Do you think they were shorter because of a higher flight?

I'm guessing less ball speed? If @Parrot is hitting M6's as reference those have got to be pretty hot off the face?

I'm guessing less ball speed? If @Parrot is hitting M6's as reference those have got to be pretty hot off the face?

Could be shaft length. My 6 iron is 3/4” long, my 9 is 1 1/4” long.

View attachment 8908079

They are about 1/2 club longer than any I have previously played. My last at least 7 or so iron sets have been bottomed out at a 45* PW and the last 5 have been shafted with Recoil shafts so it is pretty darn apples to apples.

Hit a 5 iron 201 yards today to 6 feet on a par 5 to set up an eagle putt which I made. Granted there was a decent tail wind, but never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I could hit a 5 iron that far. In calm condidtions, I can pull it with confidence from 185 and know I have enough stick. Would never have previously pulled a 5 iron for anything over 180.

I just keep racking up good rounds with these irons.

I'll try to post some pictures this week to show how well they're holding up now that I've had them for a full 4 months.

Back