Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

When to the indoor hitting range today and hit these beauties. Surprisingly my swing was pretty good today for not golfing in over a month. These irons do have a great feel to them with the custom recoils. My mishits were not too bad and my center strikes all felt spectacular. Its going to be a long few months before i can put them in play on the course again but really looking forward to playing them again.

When to the indoor hitting range today and hit these beauties. Surprisingly my swing was pretty good today for not golfing in over a month. These irons do have a great feel to them with the custom recoils. My mishits were not too bad and my center strikes all felt spectacular. Its going to be a long few months before i can put them in play on the course again but really looking forward to playing them again.

Glad you got some swings in. I think as the year goes on, you are going to love these.

So my season is over here in Ohio and I now have a lot of rounds in with the irons since I got them at the Ben Hogan Experience and wanted to do an end of the year review.

Looks- The PTx pros are such a great looking iron. At address I am a big fan as well, they aren't chunky and sit up to the ball really well. They have really held up pretty well through the season as well, just a little bag chatter as most forged irons get. Overall they are visually pleasing and sit up to the ball well, which checks all the boxes for me with an iron.

Performance- The feel off the center of the face is awesome, no complaints there. I did have a little struggle with distance on some toe shots but nothing too crazy. I struggled with consistency over the course of the season because the shafts were not close to what I play, but the heads are really good.

Overall- I wish Ben Hogan had a few more shaft offerings but I understand why they don't. I have been fit into recoil 110 f4 in the past but those weren't an option and I went with recoil smacwrap 780 f4 but after a whole season with them they just aren't for me. I really want to get the recoil 110s put in and give these iron heads a go with them because I really do like them. I just felt like I couldn't get a consistent swing during a round, but when I did connect I really enjoyed them. Also as mentioned with my other Ben Hogan clubs, the grips were not to my liking.

Attachments

• IMG_20191221_162622000.jpg
    IMG_20191221_162622000.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20191221_162740000.jpg
    IMG_20191221_162740000.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 27
@Jman during your testing of these irons, you bent them 2* stronger, correct? Did you do this for gapping?

It is a pretty satisfying feeling to have been able to hit a bunch of new 2020 irons over the last months, and these are still my favorite to look down at and play. The heads are a lovely shape, and I hit these as well or better than anything. Plus, they feel fantastic and the DBM finish is so impressive. Very happy and blessed to have these in the bag for 2020. I'm looking forward to putting a lot more rounds on them.

It is a pretty satisfying feeling to have been able to hit a bunch of new 2020 irons over the last months, and these are still my favorite to look down at and play. The heads are a lovely shape, and I hit these as well or better than anything. Plus, they feel fantastic and the DBM finish is so impressive. Very happy and blessed to have these in the bag for 2020. I'm looking forward to putting a lot more rounds on them.
The DBM has held up so well for me, despite all of the play I have been giving them. These have at least 20 rounds on them at this point, and probably just as many range sessions.
F791BD63-CF20-486A-8D29-DAF7F2B47128.jpeg

The DBM has held up so well for me, despite all of the play I have been giving them. These have at least 20 rounds on them at this point, and probably just as many range sessions.
View attachment 8923672
A part of me really wants a set of PTx Pro Blacks!

View attachment 8923672

It boggles my mind how intensely durable the DBM finish seems to be. Those look just like mine (new) with easily 10x more rounds plus range time on them. Really impressive. And aesthetically, the deep matte black is my favorite black finish that I've seen.

Hit the 7-iron tonight. Had some really good results. Lessons and practice are paying off. Club head speed was back up to 89-90 mph. 95% of everything was left or drew which is awesome. These irons are great and will compete with any other OEMs.
Carry 165
Total 170
Backspin 5750

Hit the 7-iron tonight. Had some really good results. Lessons and practice are paying off. Club head speed was back up to 89-90 mph. 95% of everything was left or drew which is awesome. These irons are great and will compete with any other OEMs.
Carry 165
Total 170
Backspin 5750

That's perfect

Carry 165
Total 170
Backspin 5750
That’s awesome. Great work, JBC!

Carry 165
Total 170
Backspin 5750
Those are some really solid numbers there fella. Great job.

Good looking iron. I like em.

Good looking iron. I like em.
I actually had another instructor comment on how great my bag looked with the PTxPros in black, and then had his mind blown when he slid one out and saw the black custom recoils. These clubs are really, really awesome looking.

I actually had another instructor comment on how great my bag looked with the PTxPros in black, and then had his mind blown when he slid one out and saw the black custom recoils. These clubs are really, really awesome looking.
I like the black as well. Just something about that black finish.

I was not aware of this prior to watching this video earlier today. Select approved club fitters, including Club Champion, now have heads to potentially fit clients into Hogan clubs. Should be a big win for this great company going forward.

That’s awesome. Great work, JBC!
Those are some really solid numbers there fella. Great job.

I am thinking about bending them 1* stronger. I would like to get the ball flight down some more and knock off a little spin. Plus, you know....jacked lofts!

I am thinking about bending them 1* stronger. I would like to get the ball flight down some more and knock off a little spin. Plus, you know....jacked lofts!
Many of us are playing the Recoil 110 Protos so I think our flights may be a bit lower. You could also try to bring the spin down by trying a different golf ball. The Tour BX comes to mind, or maybe the RX.

Many of us are playing the Recoil 110 Protos so I think our flights may be a bit lower. You could also try to bring the spin down by trying a different golf ball. The Tour BX comes to mind, or maybe the RX.
That’s why I’m playing the Srixon Q-Star Tour. Z-Star is definitely longer, but is higher spinning and costs more.

That is awesome news - hopefully Ben Hogan will gain more traction now that fitters have heads available for testing.

That is awesome news - hopefully Ben Hogan will gain more traction now that fitters have heads available for testing.
Huh?

Ben Hogan PTx Pro irons wins a Silver on the Golf Digest 2020 Hot List! These clubs are so good! Should have been Gold, but Ben Hogan equipment will always get dinged on “Demand”!
Ben Hogan Golf PTx Pro Golf Digest 2020 Hot List
Anything not a major OEM that’s Callaway or TM will always get dinged on demand.

The hot list has been that way for years, it’s bathroom reading.

These are amazing! Great blend of vintage Hogan and modern technology! Game changer for me! Now I don’t know what to do with my Ft. Worths?!
JB - simple solution. Sell them to another THPer. That is how I got my Ft. Worth Blacks about a month ago, and I couldn't be happier. You would make some other THPer's day for sure. FWIW, I think you can assure a prospect that the Ft. Worth irons are much more forgiving than most blades. That has been my experience, and such as assurance from the previous owner is why I bought them.

JB - simple solution. Sell them to another THPer. That is how I got my Ft. Worth Blacks about a month ago, and I couldn't be happier. You would make some other THPer's day for sure. FWIW, I think you can assure a prospect that the Ft. Worth irons are much more forgiving than most blades. That has been my experience, and such as assurance from the previous owner is why I bought them.
Sold them not long after I made that post.

Back