Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

The hands low position had the club toe up and gave me a left miss. Which I just couldn't figure out. It was also causing me an up and down motion in my swing. Head down at address, head high in back swing and then back down at contact. All because of hands low.
Hands high keeps my head up and allows me to stay stable through my swing with head position. Club is square at address and is easily returned to that position.
SGI clubs were allowing me to be comfortable with this setup. The Hogans were having none of that!! It was such a simple fix but I was baffled.
f570f7ec678d1f7c25b67808458101e1.jpg
17d11e25efbdaace42706999d13f0bb5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
That's fascinating...it *almost* looks like a single plane position

Well my visit to the sim got cut short by someone who was actually going to get fit for irons :rolleyes: (I mean c'mon who does that :LOL:) Anyways, got 20 swings in with the 8 iron and was really happy. The forgiveness in these doesn't match to the feel. When you miss you know it, but the distance loss is way less than I expected. I actually had two swings today that I immediately was expecting the standard 10-15 yard loss in distance, but did not see. Both shots carried as far as I would normally expect a good shot to. Needless to say I continue to be excited to get these out on a course and see if the results from the sim carry over to the course.
They are a pretty special set of irons, that I think have flown aggressively under the radar.

Every time I get my hands on a set to swing a bit, I come away impressed.

The hands low position had the club toe up and gave me a left miss. Which I just couldn't figure out. It was also causing me an up and down motion in my swing. Head down at address, head high in back swing and then back down at contact. All because of hands low.
Hands high keeps my head up and allows me to stay stable through my swing with head position. Club is square at address and is easily returned to that position.
SGI clubs were allowing me to be comfortable with this setup. The Hogans were having none of that!! It was such a simple fix but I was baffled.

I fall into this. Maybe it’s part of my issues. I’ll give it a try.

They are a pretty special set of irons, that I think have flown aggressively under the radar.

Every time I get my hands on a set to swing a bit, I come away impressed.
I enjoy, and am gaining confidence I can game these well as a mid-high teen handicap. That you are also impressed as a plus handicapper really shows the broad spectrum of appeal these should have. Factor in the ridiculous price on them and you have such a complete package.

Thanks for the pics. They illustrate perfectly what you are saying. I can see with hands low, your lower head position, more stooped posture, and the club toe raised. After seeing the pics, I can really understand why it was difficult keeping your head still during the swing with hands low.

I had these irons out a couple of days just looking at them and taking a few swings. I love the way they look
I enjoy, and am gaining confidence I can game these well as a mid-high teen handicap. That you are also impressed as a plus handicapper really shows the broad spectrum of appeal these should have. Factor in the ridiculous price on them and you have such a complete package.
The irons are the best bang for the buck out there. They perform as well as they look. I love the feel of them.

These irons still keep performing after 2 years. I wish I could flight my ball down though. I have never checked the loft and lie, so it’s definitely time. I’m 99.9% I will strengthen these 2° when I do. The new EDGE line has me pondering though!

These irons still keep performing after 2 years. I wish I could flight my ball down though. I have never checked the loft and lie, so it’s definitely time. I’m 99.9% I will strengthen these 2° when I do. The new EDGE line has me pondering though!

You may want to wait on the new Edge.....they look so good! As much as I love my DBM PTx Pros...I might have gone with the new Edge....When released, I think everyone will see they are a big update on the line.

I will have a set of these for sale very soon if anyone is interested. 4-PW Recoil 110 stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost gave up on these irons first few go rounds but I'm so freaking glad I stayed with them.

You playing a full set of PTX Pros 4-PW, or using the Icons in 8-PW?

You playing a full set of PTX Pros 4-PW, or using the Icons in 8-PW?
The set as it sits now is all Ptx Pros. The Icon 8-PW have Dynamic golds in them. So I'm playing the Pro set as the shafts all match. Come spring and being outdoors I'll probably work the Icons in.
I have chased shaft setups in these heads before I realized it was all me.

Another trip to the golf store, another encouraging session with the PTX Pros. The 4, 6, and 8i tagged along today and according to the simulator things were very good. The one thing I am having a little trouble with is settling in on my carry distances. This is, of course, purely my fault. One 6-iron I'll flush and get 205, the next is a little off and settles between 190-195. Oh the woes of an inconsistent swing :LOL:. I'm literally dying to get these on course and see if the results will match up with the simulator. On the extremely bright side, myself and 3 buddies are traveling to play on a sweet looking sim on Saturday. Can't wait to see what happens 😬

Bumping this thread for @Smiter so he doesn’t need to leave reviews in the marketplace.

Bumping this thread for @Smiter so he doesn’t need to leave reviews in the marketplace.

Haha!

They’re great irons, sorry for wrong place, I’m lucky to know where I’m at let alone where I’m at on the forum.

I'm sooo pumped to get these in action on Saturday, even if it is just on a sim course.

I'm sooo pumped to get these in action on Saturday, even if it is just on a sim course.

They rock. I hit them well inside on Trackman, got the distance gapping I wanted. Then finally hit the PXG’s today, they are insanely long. I may carry PXG 4-5i and PTx Pros in 5-PW. I’ll have to drop a hybrid but I’m thinking that’s the go to this year. You’ll love them.

I love these clubs. PTx Pros for scoring and PXG for pure brute distance. Decisions and gapping.

They rock. I hit them well inside on Trackman, got the distance gapping I wanted. Then finally hit the PXG’s today, they are insanely long. I may carry PXG 4-5i and PTx Pros in 5-PW. I’ll have to drop a hybrid but I’m thinking that’s the go to this year. You’ll love them.

I love these clubs. PTx Pros for scoring and PXG for pure brute distance. Decisions and gapping.
I've been hitting them really well at the LGS but that's just hitting balls into a screen. I wish I'd hit them better last year at the event, but I didn't adjust as quickly as I'd like (I blame being a mediocre golfer :LOL:) Will be fun to get on the sim and then it's countdown to course openings to hit these on grass again 😬

Man, I just need PM’s when we’re having post drives and when we’re not, 🤣

All’s fair game until it’s not? Point me in the right direction. 😂

FWIW you’ll never hurt my feelings moving something if I’m the wrong place or closing it because I got stupid. I try to not get there, especially here, especially after someone called out negativity and I realized I could be cause for at least some of that post.

Never my intent.

Got these out for 2 rounds since I had them bent 2 degrees strong. I was concerned about maybe losing ball height with the change and I must say that didn't happen at all. I'm still able to get the ball height that is desired and gained a little distance.

Now that I have over 25 rounds with my PTxPro and Equalizer Wedges, I can use my Arccos data to compare them to my previous clubs. I am a high capper. My current index is 26.2. If I compare the width of my "smart range", it is clear that I get punished on miss hits more with the Hogans than the GI irons I played before. That said, on quality swings the Hogans shine. I think that fact is highlighted below in my Approach GIR percentage.

The GI are helping me with the 5i and 6i. However after that, the Hogan's are clearly out performing my previous irons. If I can improve my swing mechanics and reduce the fat misses....I'm certain the 5i and 6i will catch up and maybe exceed the GIR% of the G410.

1615568498135.png

Now that I have over 25 rounds with my PTxPro and Equalizer Wedges, I can use my Arccos data to compare them to my previous clubs. I am a high capper. My current index is 26.2. If I compare the width of my "smart range", it is clear that I get punished on miss hits more with the Hogans than the GI irons I played before. That said, on quality swings the Hogans shine. I think that fact is highlighted below in my Approach GIR percentage.

The GI are helping me with the 5i and 6i. However after that, the Hogan's are clearly out performing my previous irons. If I can improve my swing mechanics and reduce the fat misses....I'm certain the 5i and 6i will catch up and maybe exceed the GIR% of the G410.

View attachment 8997670
My Shot Scope is in, just have to get it and plug it in. Look forward to providing hard data like this. This is really cool to see, looks like you're on the right track with these!

View attachment 8997670

That is very cool to see data displayed like that. Nice work 👊

My Shot Scope is in, just have to get it and plug it in. Look forward to providing hard data like this. This is really cool to see, looks like you're on the right track with these!
thanks. My scoring is not yet reflecting improvement, but I I'm working on some swing changes based on my lessons. I hope more improvement as the year goes on. I was getting a bit discouraged, until I did this data dive and uncovered some tangible signs of improvement.

View attachment 8997670
You may want to think about the UiHi 5,, and it's a shame they don't have that club in a 6 as the early data would suggest you need the most help there.
If you are working working with a Pro he may want to take a look at how the 5 and 6i are set up. A different shaft may help you make a better swing with those. The performance vs the 7 iron suggest you just are not comfortable with how they are setup for you.

Back