Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

Popping in here to say two things. First, I continue to love the PTx Pros. Second, in a moment of go for broke judgement, I accidentally hit a large embedded rock near the edge of the woods. I hit it hard enough it stopped my swing short. I was worried I gouged it but barely scuffed the toe. The only thing that has scuffed DBM to date.

View attachment 8956191

Also, minimal bag chatter after ~15 rounds they look fantastic.

View attachment 8956192View attachment 8956193
Im getting excited for my set.. ive been obsessed with the dbm finish since I first saw it 5 or 6 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

After today, I can definitely say that the PTx Pro clubs have performed better for me than the Forged Tecs I have been playing for the last two months, both with the same Recoil Proto 110 shafts.

I’m not shocked at the results as much as I am amazed that the Hogan clubs can pack so much performance at their price point. I can draw the ball with these irons so much better than anything I have played recently.

It's been a battle in my bag between these and the Apex CF 19s, both clubs are outstanding and sometimes it just depends on the day. These irons are about a club shorter but feel just as good and the Apex when struck well.

It's been a battle in my bag between these and the Apex CF 19s, both clubs are outstanding and sometimes it just depends on the day. These irons are about a club shorter but feel just as good and the Apex when struck well.
So I was pretty convinced that the PTx Pros were around d a club shorter than my Forged Tecs, and I think in well struck balls, it’s probably around there. But today, I was only about a half club short of my normal distances, but my ball flight was significantly better, and my ball was way more playable into greens because of it. I think it is that the PTx Pros spin a bit more than my other clubs. And it’s not as if these are short by any means, I was putting my 7i to 165 with ease today.

So I was pretty convinced that the PTx Pros were around d a club shorter than my Forged Tecs, and I think in well struck balls, it’s probably around there. But today, I was only about a half club short of my normal distances, but my ball flight was significantly better, and my ball was way more playable into greens because of it. I think it is that the PTx Pros spin a bit more than my other clubs. And it’s not as if these are short by any means, I was putting my 7i to 165 with ease today.
I initially was seeing shorter distances as well. I'm not sure what happened, but this summer distance with these clubs has not been an issue.

Love to hear how these clubs are proving to be performers for the majority of people who try them! I googled the specs on the Forged Tecs, because I was interested. Forged Tec 7i stock loft is 29.5*. Stock PTx Pro 7i loft is 34*. Not to start a rant on loft jacking, it’s not surprising the Cobras are longer. Ben Hogan, by using more traditional lofts, are trying to allow the player to have more spin into the green, and be able to hold the green, especially in the longer irons. I would love to see some data with comparisons between the two 7 irons and maybe the Cobra 7i and Hogan 6i and the Cobra 8i and the Hogan 7i, since the lofts are almost identical. Would love to see distance, but also spin, peak height, decent angle, etc.

Love to hear how these clubs are proving to be performers for the majority of people who try them! I googled the specs on the Forged Tecs, because I was interested. Forged Tec 7i stock loft is 29.5*. Stock PTx Pro 7i loft is 34*. Not to start a rant on loft jacking, it’s not surprising the Cobras are longer. Ben Hogan, by using more traditional lofts, are trying to allow the player to have more spin into the green, and be able to hold the green, especially in the longer irons. I would love to see some data with comparisons between the two 7 irons and maybe the Cobra 7i and Hogan 6i and the Cobra 8i and the Hogan 7i, since the lofts are almost identical. Would love to see distance, but also spin, peak height, decent angle, etc.
I’ll see what I can do to get some of those numbers, but I don’t think it’s just a loft issue. The face of the FT are really hot, and are player distance design. That said, I definitely think the spin with the PTx Pros helps a ton with height and dispersion. I know many people have said it, but they are surprisingly forgiving for the shape.

I’ll see what I can do to get some of those numbers, but I don’t think it’s just a loft issue. The face of the FT are really hot, and are player distance design. That said, I definitely think the spin with the PTx Pros helps a ton with height and dispersion. I know many people have said it, but they are surprisingly forgiving for the shape.
I have found them very forgiving...especially on the toe!🙄

I initially was seeing shorter distances as well. I'm not sure what happened, but this summer distance with these clubs has not been an issue.
Last year I was seeing the same, shots were around a club shorter. This year, I have had no issues , all clubs are playing to my normal distances, and some days even 1/2 club longer. Don’t know why, but it was not a difficult adjustment. Love my PTx Pro’s!

Last year I was seeing the same, shots were around a club shorter. This year, I have had no issues , all clubs are playing to my normal distances, and some days even 1/2 club longer. Don’t know why, but it was not a difficult adjustment. Love my PTx Pro’s!
What's funny is I was seeing up to 1-1.5 clubs longer, then I tweaked my swing because I was spraying my shots, now I'm back to about my normal 7i. 🤷🏼‍♂️

A little physical conditioning, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok.... so I took me longer to get along with these clubs than any other clubs in a while. Normally I'm a very quick learn and can hit anything. First two sessions were great but it went down hill.
It wasnt until a range session Saturday am collecting data on the Mevo that everything clicked. I won't confirm or deny a session. Thursday where I hit over 20 hosel rockets in a row.. no matter what club I chose.
Maybe it was the tiny heads that freaked me out a bit. Kind of like the 7th grade bully that gave you a shot in the arm every day. You see him years later and even though he still drives that Camaro,, you flinched a bit every time he is near. I've been playing larger GI forged irons for years and these at first seemed miniscule. It really got into my head.
I have them in 3 weights of Rapid taper shafts. 95g in the Pw-9 85g in the 8,7,6 and 75g in the 5,4. They are all right at D2 after some weight was added.
To get friendly with them I simply lengthened my swing and made a solid follow through. The nature of the club heads demand a solid strike. But once I gave it the swing it needed they are about as accurate as could be. Im taking dead aim at targets and its tracking all the way through.
I really think playing the GI heads for so long now that my swing was getting lazy. It was allowing poor form the be rewarded with a good result.
The biggest surprise in the set has been the 4i. That club should be the hardest to hit yet its been the easiest. The one im struggling with a bit is the PW of all clubs. Not terrible but its just not crip yet
Weight progression with the shafts just feels right. Long urons that fly high. Mid irons that have lower more contrilled flight.. short irons that stay low yet spin like crazy. Its been a while since I've backed up 6i shots.
For a set that I almost gave up on... these have been fun this weekend. Shot a 59 -12 in a capt and crew for first place. Hit some absolutely beautiful shots that shocked me at times. Just got off the course and shot even with 4 birdies on my own ball.
931bf6f732939ac393edd51355c6c3ce.jpg

I have to talk a bit about this incredible 4 iron.
Since putting the rapid tapers in play my long irons have never been easier to hit. But this Hogan PTx Pro is just a whole other level.
Feel wise is this smooth soft sensation that runs through the hands. Its a momentary sensation but it sticks in your mind.
A soft click is audible as the ball gets launched. I love the rest of the set but the 4 iron is just pure as can be. Its like experiencing what a perfect golf shot can feel and look like.
Im getting it out to 220 with ease.
I have lost my 2 hybrid but I dont think I need it.

Last edited:
I’m really starting to finally lower my ball flight and draw these irons some. They mask a lot of my swing imperfections! Way more forgiving than you would expect. A guy wakes up to me as I was putting my bag on the cart. He plays the original PTx irons and just fell in love with the looks of these. I gave him a 10% discount code, so maybe he will go and pull the trigger on these!

Ok, so I've really put alot of golf on these bad boys since I got them at the UST Mamiya Graphite Challenge last November. If I had to guess, I'd say an average of 2 rounds a week since, with MAYBE a little less than that during Dec and Jan...that's one advantage to middle GA, you can pretty much golf year round. The pics include the DBM Hogan Equalizer wedges, 56* and 60*, a Vokey 52*, and the PTx Pro DBM 4-PW. The 4 and the 5 don't see as much usage. I'd say the most used is probably the 7i and the look is just phenomenal. I love the gunmetal look on the worn spots and the character that the bad chatter has given them.

The performance is great and very forgiving on those thin or slightly heavy shots...Love the irons!!!!
PXL_20200912_224632270.jpgPXL_20200912_224644785.jpgPXL_20200912_224648970.jpgPXL_20200912_224651798.jpgPXL_20200912_224713022.jpgPXL_20200912_224716498.jpgPXL_20200912_224727396.jpgPXL_20200912_225021654.jpg

Those are some illustrative photos. The soles and faces on the Hogans still have coating after 100 rounds. Vokey is buffed :rolleyes:

Yeah that Vokey was buffed inside two to three weeks... The Equalizers will rust where the finish is worn completely off, but works right off with more play and the ok doesn't bother me at all.

For the life of me I cannot get along with the 8, 9 and pitching wedge.
I absolutely love the 4 through 7, the feel and playability is excellent. Yet for me when they go to the solid design.. something in the iron is lost on me. I have been trying my best to get settled in with them but it's almost like I cannot find the face of the club no matter what I do.
I really wish they stayed with the hollow design all the way through.
It has me to the point where I want to get rid of the set.
either that or blend the PTM black set with the long irons of the PTx pro.

For the life of me I cannot get along with the 8, 9 and pitching wedge.
I absolutely love the 4 through 7, the feel and playability is excellent. Yet for me when they go to the solid design.. something in the iron is lost on me. I have been trying my best to get settled in with them but it's almost like I cannot find the face of the club no matter what I do.
I really wish they stayed with the hollow design all the way through.
It has me to the point where I want to get rid of the set.
either that or blend the PTM black set with the long irons of the PTx pro.

You decide to move them. You let me know.

You decide to move them. You let me know.
I'll trade you my PTX Pro 8,9,PW for your Icon 8,9 PW......

If I can't locate some Icon short irons more than likely I will let these go, unless I can get a clean blend with another iron head.

If I can't locate some Icon short irons more than likely I will let these go, unless I can get a clean blend with another iron head.

Probably won’t be able to. Hogan won’t sell pet sets and I don’t see anyone wanting to keep MB long irons and sell the scoring ones:ROFLMAO:

Playing at a course called Woodstone today. This was the site of a Pro Am I played in last month. Was not a good showing on my part but out Pro won outright.
This will be the make or break moment for the PTx Pro set as it stands right now.
I have honestly never had such enjoyment out of the long irons in a set. They defy my expectation in every performance category. Yet the 8-Pw feel like rocks on a stick when striking the ball. I spent about 2 hours working on these irons the other day. Really making sure I'm striking the center of the club head. Even near perfect strikes left me indifferent. But those were nasty range balls. So a day of Pro V1s hopefully will tell a different story. Either these club heads will move on to Jman or ill somehow aquire 8-Pw icon blacks.
I'm even seriously contemplating the 8-pw being substituted with the PTM blacks. Those feel like butter.

Back