Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

Playing at a course called Woodstone today. This was the site of a Pro Am I played in last month. Was not a good showing on my part but out Pro won outright.
This will be the make or break moment for the PTx Pro set as it stands right now.
I have honestly never had such enjoyment out of the long irons in a set. They defy my expectation in every performance category. Yet the 8-Pw feel like rocks on a stick when striking the ball. I spent about 2 hours working on these irons the other day. Really making sure I'm striking the center of the club head. Even near perfect strikes left me indifferent. But those were nasty range balls. So a day of Pro V1s hopefully will tell a different story. Either these club heads will move on to Jman or ill somehow aquire 8-Pw icon blacks.
I'm even seriously contemplating the 8-pw being substituted with the PTM blacks. Those feel like butter.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I've been following your comments. When I first got the PTx Pro, I was hitting them flush and loved them. Then winter came and I took six months off, when my game returned I was not hitting them flush and I at times like you felt like I was not getting along with the short irons. Couldn't find center, struggling with carry, struggling with feel. For me, that phase thankfully lasted only 2-3 rounds, and when I returned to hitting the ball like I know how I am enjoying the feel off the short irons.

I've been following your comments. When I first got the PTx Pro, I was hitting them flush and loved them. Then winter came and I took six months off, when my game returned I was not hitting them flush and I at times like you felt like I was not getting along with the short irons. Couldn't find center, struggling with carry, struggling with feel. For me, that phase thankfully lasted only 2-3 rounds, and when I returned to hitting the ball like I know how I am enjoying the feel off the short irons.
I have always been a feel player and can make adjustments to my swing on the fly during a round.
The long irons tell me the exact story of how they performed. Where I hit them, how well they compressed the ball and so on.
For the life of me I can't get the short irons to talk back to me.
I do suffer from hitting a ton of various club heads through out the week. Maybe if I purely concentrated on them it may be a different story.
My round earlier this week at Stonehenge golf course I used as many 8-Pw PTx shots as I could. Great control with accuracy that lead to a good string of birdies. 5 for the day but I also had 3 bogies and a double. But during those shots the only way to know where I hit the ball was to look at the face. The black does a great job of leaving a witness mark.
I changed the lie at address this week by standing taller there for giving me a flatter lie when striking the ball.. Think of Dechambeu... This allowed me to consistently find the face of the club but still not the feel I like for a forged type club. As these are not a true forging but a multi piece design.
Whats so odd with this set is most long irons are more difficult to play. These are flip flopped for me.

Well today was a massive improvement over all in the playability of the 8-pw. The more upright position has changed how these play 100%. A position i could more than get away with with the PTM clubs can't be done with these.
I have my PTM GW in the bag at 48°. A 52 and a 56° wedge. I may dump the Hogan PW for the Maltby PTM PW and call it a day.
Not sure why Hogan abandoned the hollow design at the 8i. I think this would be a far better set of they didn't.
Long irons again were simply stellar. I hit a 5i into a par 3, 192 yards into a slight breeze and it did this.
64891b43930aacec48295b6531ae62e0.jpg

Hit the 8 iron primarily at my lesson today. Finally getting great contact! No toe shots. Better, lower ball flight. Hitting 150-160 yards on average. It’s hard to beat the feeling when you strike these clubs in the center. The yardage is great for a weaker or more traditional clubs. The PTx Pro irons are still the best irons available today, based on performance, price, feel, and looks!

So, apparently, if you hit the ball with these and you have a square club face and you hit the middle of the iron...1) it feels phenomenal and 2) ball goes far!😳🤷‍♂️

As a carry over of Saturday, I hit these irons well today! I just nutted a 7 iron from 170 to 12 feet, setting up an eagle chance! It’s nice to be finally able to take advantage of the performance these irons really offer. Over the last year, I found out how forgiving they can be, now I am figuring out how amazing they truly are!

I put these irons back in the bag on Wednesday after having been playing around with a mostly blades for the last several weeks. The PTx Pro responded by reminding me that they never should have been benched in the first place. I was hitting the ball solid all day, hitting 12 greens which is 4-5 more than usual for me.

Where it got really, really interesting, was a streak of long- and mid-iron play that simply left me shaking my head in amazement. I honestly can't recall the last time I had a string of shots from 180-210 yards that were so consistently inside 15 or 20 feet. It was crazy, and I give tons of credit to the PTx Pro as well as Recoil 110 Prototype shafts here. The hollow body construction really performs, fast, easy to launch, and very consistent. Plenty of spin and control. And the shafts are very positive, plenty stout, and sync up great with my tempo. The feel is just superb! I feel like I know exactly what I can expect from them, and they deliver over and over. The short irons were on point, but the long irons were on fire!

A not so brief rundown:

2nd hole - Par 5 - crushed two 6i layups

3rd hole - Par 3 180yds downwind. First 7i was a solid pull-draw 20 ft left. Next 7i made a small adjustment, and almost took the flag off the top of the flagstick! 8 ft past.
IMG_8336.jpg

4th hole - nice 4i tee shot to great fairway position.

5th hole - stunning baby draw 5i from 195 yds

8th hole - Par 5, smoked a 4i from 235 to leave a short pitch onto the green

10th hole - Par 4 380 yds. The best shot of the day. I was in the trees on the left and had to play a 6i low under a tree from 150 yds out. Soft punch swing, the ball carried all the way, landed right next to the hole hole and stopped within 12 feet of the pin. Made the birdie! Also stuffed a ZipCore Tour Rock in there tight while testing from 80 yds.
IMG_8356.jpg
IMG_8358m.jpg

11th hole - Par 4, 420 yds. Played 4i off the tee to play short of lake they parked in teh middle of the fairway. Then played second 4i and tiny baby draw never left the flagstick. 8ft for second birdie in a row.
IMG_8363.jpg
13th Par 3 205 - another crushed, I mean crushed 5i. Two of them actually. 8 feet, missed the birdie
IMG_8365.jpg
14th - Par 4 417 yds. Another damn lake in the middle of the fairway, so I hit yet another perfect 5i off the tee to layup short. Then rifle a 6i for another short birdie look. Short game fails me.
IMG_8366.jpg
IMG_8367.jpg

17th – Par 4 408 yds. Signature hole, another damn lake in the fairway. I opt to play it safe, hitting 4i to right center leaving about 203 to the pin. Hit a solid 5i to the left edge of the green for a ~15 footer.
IMG_8371.jpg

Whew.... that round was a rush. Love these irons and Recoil 110 Proto shafts.

I put these irons back in the bag on Wednesday after having been playing around with a mostly blades for the last several weeks. The PTx Pro responded by reminding me that they never should have been benched in the first place. I was hitting the ball solid all day, hitting 12 greens which is 4-5 more than usual for me.

Where it got really, really interesting, was a streak of long- and mid-iron play that simply left me shaking my head in amazement. I honestly can't recall the last time I had a string of shots from 180-210 yards that were so consistently inside 15 or 20 feet. It was crazy, and I give tons of credit to the PTx Pro as well as Recoil 110 Prototype shafts here. The hollow body construction really performs, fast, easy to launch, and very consistent. Plenty of spin and control. And the shafts are very positive, plenty stout, and sync up great with my tempo. The feel is just superb! I feel like I know exactly what I can expect from them, and they deliver over and over. The short irons were on point, but the long irons were on fire!

A not so brief rundown:

2nd hole - Par 5 - crushed two 6i layups

3rd hole - Par 3 180yds downwind. First 7i was a solid pull-draw 20 ft left. Next 7i made a small adjustment, and almost took the flag off the top of the flagstick! 8 ft past.
View attachment 8970636

4th hole - nice 4i tee shot to great fairway position.

5th hole - stunning baby draw 5i from 195 yds

8th hole - Par 5, smoked a 4i from 235 to leave a short pitch onto the green

10th hole - Par 4 380 yds. The best shot of the day. I was in the trees on the left and had to play a 6i low under a tree from 150 yds out. Soft punch swing, the ball carried all the way, landed right next to the hole hole and stopped within 12 feet of the pin. Made the birdie! Also stuffed a ZipCore Tour Rock in there tight while testing from 80 yds.
View attachment 8970638
View attachment 8970644

11th hole - Par 4, 420 yds. Played 4i off the tee to play short of lake they parked in teh middle of the fairway. Then played second 4i and tiny baby draw never left the flagstick. 8ft for second birdie in a row.
View attachment 8970637
13th Par 3 205 - another crushed, I mean crushed 5i. Two of them actually. 8 feet, missed the birdie
View attachment 8970640
14th - Par 4 417 yds. Another damn lake in the middle of the fairway, so I hit yet another perfect 5i off the tee to layup short. Then rifle a 6i for another short birdie look. Short game fails me.
View attachment 8970641
View attachment 8970642

17th – Par 4 408 yds. Signature hole, another damn lake in the fairway. I opt to play it safe, hitting 4i to right center leaving about 203 to the pin. Hit a solid 5i to the left edge of the green for a ~15 footer.
View attachment 8970643

Great playing man! You're a baller! And I know the feeling...these irons just flat out perform, consistently.

[/QUOTE]

Please consult with me the next time you are thinking about moving on from your PTx Pros :cool: !

Please consult with me the next time you are thinking about moving on from your PTx Pros :cool: !

Absolutely! :geek: Unreal, thanks for everything you do!

I’m four rounds and some practice time into my experience with the PTxPros. My current handicap index is 24.7. (It dropped after my first post THP round on my home course with these, I shot a 94)

I came from a GI iron that served me well. But these clubs are a completely different animal. They feel amazing. They tell you how you screwed up, but don’t punish you for it. making the switch to these irons, i knew iron striking was a bright point in my golf game. But I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how well I can game these irons. I truly feel they are just as forgiving and my GI.

The key for me is to remember to let the club do the work. When I do I’m rewarded with a slightly lower launching but higher spin shot that plays like a dart. They are more penetrating with a sound a feel that fuel my desire to play more and get better.

I’ve got a ways to go in improving my swing. But I know theses are clubs that will not only grow with me, but precipitate that improvement.

I’m four rounds and some practice time into my experience with the PTxPros. My current handicap index is 24.7. (It dropped after my first post THP round on my home course with these, I shot a 94)

I came from a GI iron that served me well. But these clubs are a completely different animal. They feel amazing. They tell you how you screwed up, but don’t punish you for it. making the switch to these irons, i knew iron striking was a bright point in my golf game. But I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how well I can game these irons. I truly feel they are just as forgiving and my GI.

The key for me is to remember to let the club do the work. When I do I’m rewarded with a slightly lower launching but higher spin shot that plays like a dart. They are more penetrating with a sound a feel that fuel my desire to play more and get better.

I’ve got a ways to go in improving my swing. But I know theses are clubs that will not only grow with me, but precipitate that improvement.

Thanks for sharing your experience!!! I've been playing my Hogans since the first week of August-full bag with PTX pros along with equalizer wedges and GS53 driver, 3 and 5 woods and I echo your sentiments about the irons, love the efficiency and playability of the wedges and find more joy and satisfaction in the woods and their play every time out. Cannot say enough about just what a pleasurable experience it is to play such a fine set of clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing your experience!!! I've been playing my Hogans since the first week of August-full bag with PTX pros along with equalizer wedges and GS53 driver, 3 and 5 woods and I echo your sentiments about the irons, love the efficiency and playability of the wedges and find more joy and satisfaction in the woods and their play every time out. Cannot say enough about just what a pleasurable experience it is to play such a fine set of clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the wedges too. They flat out perform. As I’m dialing my distances in they keep getting better for me.

Well I got to scratch my golf itch yesterday thanks to my local golf store (Golf and Ski Warehouse) letting me hit some balls on their simulator. Brought my 9, 7, 5, and 4 iron to take some swings with the PTX Pros. It took a few swings to find a groove but once I did I was pleasantly surprised by the distance I was seeing with these. Going into it I was expecting up to club and a half distance loss coming from my old Burners due to the aggresive lofts of them versus the more traditional lofts of the PTX Pros. For example, PTX 7i is 34* while Burner is 31*. This wasn't the case, I would say I've lost about half a club length with the PTX. The 5, 7, and 9 irons were fantastic right out of the gate. Started with the 9 iron and took a few swings to get in the groove but once I found my swing these things were just plain fun to hit. Below is best 9 iron shot. That carry is about 5 less than Burners.
20201120_125019.jpg

Next is best 7 iron. This one was fully flushed and thats right about what I expected with the Burners.
20201120_122106.jpg

5 iron, again on par, maybe 5 less than the Burners.
20201120_122515.jpg

When I moved to the 4 iron it was admittedly a wrestling match. I found it odd because going from 7 to 5 I had no issue whatsoever, but the 4 was just a struggle out of the gate. Eventually I found the swing with it but it took some time. Best of the 4 irons below, again right on par with what I'd expect from my Burners.
20201120_124815.jpg

The 4 iron was punishing with poor strikes, no question and no surprise. However I found that the 5, 7, and 9 were still forgiving on less than stellar swings.

To conclude this data/mind dump I'll just say that you shouldn't be afraid of these clubs because you think they won't be long enough. They more than held their own compared to an aggressively lofted GI iron. They also stand out as forgiving despite their looks. I didn't see any misses on the monitor that I haven't seen with my Burners, which was a bit surprising but speaks to the tech packed in these. The final comment I'll add is they absolutely blow the Burners out of the water in feel and looks. The feel of a flushed strike with these is incomparable. They are also head turners. I was telling the young kid at the golf store about my experience and the clubs and he commented several times about how sweet they look.

Can't wait to get these back out on the course, but for the next few months I'll have to settle for a launch monitor every couple weeks. In the mean time, don't sleep on the PTX Pros if you're in the market for a new set of irons.

Fantastic write up.

That's about what I see with the PTx too. A bit shorter, but so much more forgiving, and that feel when you hit one flush...

That's about what I see with the PTx too. A bit shorter, but so much more forgiving, and that feel when you hit one flush...

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Yup, that about describes it right there

Well I got to scratch my golf itch yesterday thanks to my local golf store (Golf and Ski Warehouse) letting me hit some balls on their simulator. Brought my 9, 7, 5, and 4 iron to take some swings with the PTX Pros. It took a few swings to find a groove but once I did I was pleasantly surprised by the distance I was seeing with these. Going into it I was expecting up to club and a half distance loss coming from my old Burners due to the aggresive lofts of them versus the more traditional lofts of the PTX Pros. For example, PTX 7i is 34* while Burner is 31*. This wasn't the case, I would say I've lost about half a club length with the PTX. The 5, 7, and 9 irons were fantastic right out of the gate. Started with the 9 iron and took a few swings to get in the groove but once I found my swing these things were just plain fun to hit. Below is best 9 iron shot. That carry is about 5 less than Burners.
View attachment 8975126

Next is best 7 iron. This one was fully flushed and thats right about what I expected with the Burners.
View attachment 8975127

5 iron, again on par, maybe 5 less than the Burners.
View attachment 8975132

When I moved to the 4 iron it was admittedly a wrestling match. I found it odd because going from 7 to 5 I had no issue whatsoever, but the 4 was just a struggle out of the gate. Eventually I found the swing with it but it took some time. Best of the 4 irons below, again right on par with what I'd expect from my Burners.
View attachment 8975134

The 4 iron was punishing with poor strikes, no question and no surprise. However I found that the 5, 7, and 9 were still forgiving on less than stellar swings.

To conclude this data/mind dump I'll just say that you shouldn't be afraid of these clubs because you think they won't be long enough. They more than held their own compared to an aggressively lofted GI iron. They also stand out as forgiving despite their looks. I didn't see any misses on the monitor that I haven't seen with my Burners, which was a bit surprising but speaks to the tech packed in these. The final comment I'll add is they absolutely blow the Burners out of the water in feel and looks. The feel of a flushed strike with these is incomparable. They are also head turners. I was telling the young kid at the golf store about my experience and the clubs and he commented several times about how sweet they look.

Can't wait to get these back out on the course, but for the next few months I'll have to settle for a launch monitor every couple weeks. In the mean time, don't sleep on the PTX Pros if you're in the market for a new set of irons.
Amazing write up. Maybe grab the UiHi 4i for a little extra forgiveness but wow you had great numbers and make me want to try them.

Amazing write up. Maybe grab the UiHi 4i for a little extra forgiveness but wow you had great numbers and make me want to try them.
That definitely crossed my mind, but I'm willing to work on it a little more before going that route. Honestly though, I'd probably look at a VKTR+ if I decided to move the 4i out of the bag.

I had the PTx Pros in the bag for my round at Turnbury on the Miller course this weekend, and not enough can be said about how well the dark finish has held up. Its honestly shocking. I have at least 40 rounds on them, probably another 25 lessons, dozens and dozens of range sessions hitting sandy balls, broken balls, and everything in between off of grass and mats, stuck in the pouring rain, loaned to other THPers at times, and they still look like they have been played for maybe half a season. It is nothing short of amazing.

I had the PTx Pros in the bag for my round at Turnbury on the Miller course this weekend, and not enough can be said about how well the dark finish has held up. Its honestly shocking. I have at least 40 rounds on them, probably another 25 lessons, dozens and dozens of range sessions hitting sandy balls, broken balls, and everything in between off of grass and mats, stuck in the pouring rain, loaned to other THPers at times, and they still look like they have been played for maybe half a season. It is nothing short of amazing.

Your journey with these irons has been a ton of fun to follow.

Your journey with these irons has been a ton of fun to follow.
I appreciate that. I really cannot say enough good things about them. I have not been shy about trying different clubs and the PTx Pros keep finding a way back into the bag. The fact that they can be purchased for under $800 as a 4-PW set is unbelievable. I have two sets of clubs in my garage currently that cost over $1200 and neither get much play in my bag, and usually end up loaned to a friend.

Contemplating getting these bent a little stronger (never done this with any irons before) to help with my distance issues. To start I am already not a long hitter and I'm about a club shorter than my Srixon 565s. I really like these irons and would like to get them back in the bag and give them another go but it's hard to justify when they aren't going the distance I need them to.

I’m one of those THP’ers these have been loaned too. And I know we talk about clubs a lot but i have seen other irons in your bag and yell at you every time the PTX pros aren’t there! 🤣 I have seen your golf game with these in the bag and it’s fun to watch!

Back