Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

This is my set after just over a year of play, lessons and range time. I still haven’t hit an iron set with better feel, and I have tried. Hopefully I get them out again next week.

index.php
View attachment 8980855View attachment 8980856
I mean those look solid after a year of golf. Mine look really good & have held up well.

This is my set after just over a year of play, lessons and range time. I still haven’t hit an iron set with better feel, and I have tried. Hopefully I get them out again next week.

index.php
View attachment 8980855View attachment 8980856

The combination of great feel and ease of use are what keeps me coming back to these over and over. Very confidence inspiring!

These clubs, man. Haven’t swung a club in 2 weeks and I went out for a quick 9 with @X.Man at a local muni. Save for a skulled 6i in my first iron swing of the day, I was knocking the heck out of these. Nice baby draws and plenty of distance. I still maintain that the long irons are the best part of this set. I hit a 5 iron slightly past the hole on a 195 par 3.

The crazy part is that if I picked up these irons without owning them, I would have told you that there was no way I could hit them.Having played them for a year now, I’m thinking that there is no way I can replace them.

These clubs, man. Haven’t swung a club in 2 weeks and I went out for a quick 9 with @X.Man at a local muni. Save for a skulled 6i in my first iron swing of the day, I was knocking the heck out of these. Nice baby draws and plenty of distance. I still maintain that the long irons are the best part of this set. I hit a 5 iron slightly past the hole on a 195 par 3.

The crazy part is that if I picked up these irons without owning them, I would have told you that there was no way I could hit them.Having played them for a year now, I’m thinking that there is no way I can replace them.
My golf instructor really like my set. He grabbed my 5i to show me something and let out a Whoow. These feel good!

@BigDill Is not allowed to play any other irons except for these! At all! Ever!

Finally made it back to the LGS to get some swings in today. I brought my 4 and 7 irons, and a Chrome Soft X with me. It did not go well at first, I could barely find the face of the club initially, let alone the center. After 10-15 swings, and a big stance change that yielded some great results, I finally started finding the center again. Distances remained roughly consistent with the 7 iron coming in with a 175 (decent strike) -185 (flush) range. The range is a bit bigger (as you might expect) with the 4-iron coming in anywhere from 215-230 carry. Still getting a feel for these, but with the change in stance I made I was seeing a consistent draw flight which was really cool for me. The feel of center contact for these still blows me away. Especially after struggling out of the gate, there was absolutely ZERO question when I did find the center. Such a fantastic feeling iron, I really can't wait to get these back on the course (t-minus 4 months in all likelihood :cry:)

Gosh these irons have been good to me. The 7i is so good. I hit that things out of some just awful situations and that sole gets right though the rough and still gets me that reliable soft draw. And the 6i is just as easy to hit. I swear you look at these clubs and think that they are a challenge to hit, but that is not at all the case.

How much have I loved these irons? I just bought them their own dedicated golf bag so they are always ready to go.

Gosh these irons have been good to me. The 7i is so good. I hit that things out of some just awful situations and that sole gets right though the rough and still gets me that reliable soft draw. And the 6i is just as easy to hit. I swear you look at these clubs and think that they are a challenge to hit, but that is not at all the case.

How much have I loved these irons? I just bought them their own dedicated golf bag so they are always ready to go.
I was pumped to get a Ben Hogan bag from the Mrs for Christmas. Do you have the 4 iron in the Pro? It's odd but the 4 iron is the one iron in this set I truly fight (limited sample of course)

I was pumped to get a Ben Hogan bag from the Mrs for Christmas. Do you have the 4 iron in the Pro? It's odd but the 4 iron is the one iron in this set I truly fight (limited sample of course)
I have to be very "tempo aware" and not try to swing aggressively, then I have good results from the full set. If I get quick...things go poorly. clearly a *me* issue.

I do! And it’s an awesome club for me. One of the easier 4i that I have hit so far. However, I had a Speedzone 4i with a recoil shaft in that spot for a while.

I have to be very "tempo aware" and not try to swing aggressively, then I have good results from the full set. If I get quick...things go poorly. clearly a *me* issue.
Oh there's absolutely no question my 4 iron problem is a me issue 🤣 I've struggled with long irons my entire golfing life.

I do! And it’s an awesome club for me. One of the easier 4i that I have hit so far. However, I had a Speedzone 4i with a recoil shaft in that spot for a while.
Nice! Yeah its obviously a me issue :LOL:. Hopefully I can get it figured out because I want so badly to be able to play it. When I do square that thing up (on the simulator I use once in a while) it just puts a big ole grin on my face.

Oh there's absolutely no question my 4 iron problem is a me issue 🤣 I've struggled with long irons my entire golfing life.
You need winter to end so you can get out side and play these irons in grass as Hogan intended.

In all of the excitement of the new releases this week I've been distracted from my want of a combo set of these still. I'm lusting after some of the other releases but then I think of how good of a value these are and how much I like the ICON'S and it brings me back to this combo set.

9556F671-477F-4C0C-84F2-25C45C5074BF.jpeg888A1783-C7D4-47C0-A780-F185A315C8B8.jpeg6C5506C8-3C2C-4CEC-A9FE-77C53F87BFA1.jpeg

Got to the simulator last week and was able get some yardages for my clubs. The push draw is definitely my ideal ball flight with these irons. I would say these irons are very pure. I think when i don’t catch it clean it’s much worse than my last GI iron set. However I have absolutely seen myself able to shape shots much easier.

I am someone that’s likes to take a divot when hitting. so hitting off artificial turf doesn’t usually produce my best strikes.

seems like I normally get my ideal ball flight when I hover around 115 ball speed with my lower irons. I’m hitting the 125’s so it’s taken some getting used to, trying to generate my same club speed. However I’m very satisfied with these numbers on the shots I contacted on the center of the face.

the look of these clubs at setup is phenomenal. I love having graphite shafts in my irons. The sounds is Ideal and I’d compare it to a premium forged iron. I can’t wait to get back out there on actual grass and see what I can do this year.

Last edited:
View attachment 8990049View attachment 8990050View attachment 8990051

Got to the simulator last week and was able get some yardages for my clubs. The push draw is definitely my ideal ball flight with these irons. I would say these irons are very pure. I think when i don’t catch it clean it’s much worse than my last GI iron set. However I have absolutely seen myself able to shape shots much easier.

I am someone that’s likes to take a divot when hitting. so hitting off artificial turf doesn’t usually produce my best strikes.

seems like I normally get my ideal ball flight when I hover around 115 ball speed with my lower irons. I’m hitting the 125’s so it’s taken some getting used to, trying to generate my same club speed. However I’m very satisfied with these numbers on the shots I contacted on the center of the face.

the look of these clubs at setup is phenomenal. I love having graphite shafts in my irons. The sounds is Ideal and I’d compare it to a premium forged iron. I can’t wait to get back out there on actual grass and see what I can do this year.
I can't wait for you and @thewilderside to get out and play real golf with these. I'm 22 rounds post the experience with mine. That's not meant as a brag, just that the more I play with these the more I love them. Have my scores dropped...no. but my "best" golf has dramatically improved. I had two GIR with my 5i yesterday. I had an additional GIR-visited, as an unfortunate kick, off a down slope, resulted in the ball running off the edge. Dancing from 180 was never an option before I played these irons. As a high handicap player, I experience the feedback from miss hits. That hurts the ego, but the feedback really shows me what i'm doing wrong. And is helping me improve as a ball striker.

The feel is so good! I know I'm forever changed as a golfer for playing these clubs. I'm excited to continue my journey with them. Every person that i've let take some swings with them immediately fall in love with how they feel.

I wish I had on course numbers to share and compare with the Ping GI that I was gaming...however my Arccos seems to have taken a dump and is not reliably logging my data. (I will contact Arccos, Im sure they can help sort that out)

I can't wait for you and @thewilderside to get out and play real golf with these. I'm 22 rounds post the experience with mine. That's not meant as a brag, just that the more I play with these the more I love them. Have my scores dropped...no. but my "best" golf has dramatically improved. I had two GIR with my 5i yesterday. I had an additional GIR-visited, as an unfortunate kick, off a down slope, resulted in the ball running off the edge. Dancing from 180 was never an option before I played these irons. As a high handicap player, I experience the feedback from miss hits. That hurts the ego, but the feedback really shows me what i'm doing wrong. And is helping me improve as a ball striker.

The feel is so good! I know I'm forever changed as a golfer for playing these clubs. I'm excited to continue my journey with them. Every person that i've let take some swings with them immediately fall in love with how they feel.

I wish I had on course numbers to share and compare with the Ping GI that I was gaming...however my Arccos seems to have taken a dump and is not reliably logging my data. (I will contact Arccos, Im sure they can help sort that out)

I can’t wait either! The couple of rounds I got in post experience were great. My best round was a 39 and I hit 6/9 greens from 3450 which never happens for me from that distance. These irons really have opened up my shot creativity which has been great when I’ve been striking it clean and playing with strategy!

And just like you said the feedback from the irons are great as it feels easy to diagnose mishits.

I’ve always wanted a forged sized head, but was afraid of losing too much forgiveness. Super happy I was able to get these irons!

I too can't wait to get on course. I'm very appreciative of LGS letting me use their simulator off and on but nothing truly replicates the real thing.

Who's playing the PTx Pros with the Recoils in them?
Stiff or regular?
Thoughts on weight and ball flight? do they launch high or balloon?
I've played Recoil 95 F3 a few years ago and like them OK, but tended to get a big draw when I went after it. I'm 5 years older now and a little slower clubhead speed.
Comments appreciated!

Stiff or regular?
I've played Recoil 95 F3 a few years ago and like them OK, but tended to get a big draw when I went after it. I'm 5 years older now and a little slower clubhead speed.
Comments appreciated!
I have Recoil Proto 95 F4 in my PTx Pros. I do not have any issues with ballooning. And really like the feel a d ball flight.

Stiff or regular?
Comments appreciated!
Me. Stiff. 110 prototypes. Ball flight is great with these. The PTx Protos are higher launching heads in general, and great clubs. I wouldn’t hesitate to play these in Recoil 780s, but they would be on the higher launching scale of clubs. But I don’t think that’s a bad thing, to be honest. And the 4 and 5 iron from this set is the easiest I have hit.

Here is the best part...you can try the Ben Hogan demo program and try the 6 and 9 iron with the Recoils yourself.

Stiff or regular?
Comments appreciated!
I play 125 F5. I would describe these as mid-launch. I'm not a high ball player anyway, and I thought the flight with these was pretty similar to what I usually see.

I'm seeing alot of responses from folks using non stock shafts.
I'm more curious about the Recoil 780 SmacWraps, which are in the 80-85gm range.
I'm currently using SteelFiber i95cw regulars and like them. wouldn't want to pay to reshaft.
Kind of wondering if the stock recoil offerings are too light.
Got on the waiting list for some demos, so hope to see those soon.

Last edited:
Me. Stiff. 110 prototypes. Ball flight is great with these. The PTx Protos are higher launching heads in general, and great clubs. I wouldn’t hesitate to play these in Recoil 780s, but they would be on the higher launching scale of clubs. But I don’t think that’s a bad thing, to be honest. And the 4 and 5 iron from this set is the easiest I have hit.

Here is the best part...you can try the Ben Hogan demo program and try the 6 and 9 iron with the Recoils yourself.
Moving to the Desert, I have had to work on a higher flight with my iron play. Weird as I was a high ball hitter for years and had to bring flight and spin down ( back before we had all this tech to tell us what we were doing ). Now we have some lower spinning balls and club heads, so higher flight doesn't mean ballooning like it did back then.

Back