Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

I'm seeing alot of responses from folks using non stock shafts.
I'm more curious about the Recoil 780 SmacWraps, which are in the 80-85gm range.
I'm currently using SteelFiber i95cw regulars and like them. wouldn't want to pay to reshaft.
Kind of wondering if the stock recoil offerings are too light.
Got on the waiting list for some demos, so hope to see those soon.
I demod the PTxPro with Recoil 780 SmacWrap. Stiff. From my memory they produces a about the same ball flight as the stock steel shafts that came with the Edge that I also demoed. The Protos that I have, came courtesy of the THP experience. As I get better with my swing mechanics I think I am glad I have the slightly lower launch shafts. I was worried that I couldn't elevate the 4-6i with the Pros, But that is not an issue. they launch well.

I believe I was fit into the 95 to keep them lighter and give me a bit more spin than the 110s might. But that is really slight and probably not the reason. since I do not have the mind of the fitter.

If you have a 105+ swing speed, the 780s might be too light/flex for you. If not...they feel really good IMO.

I demod the PTxPro with Recoil 780 SmacWrap. Stiff. From my memory they produces a about the same ball flight as the stock steel shafts that came with the Edge that I also demoed. The Protos that I have, came courtesy of the THP experience. As I get better with my swing mechanics I think I am glad I have the slightly lower launch shafts. I was worried that I couldn't elevate the 4-6i with the Pros, But that is not an issue. they launch well.

I believe I was fit into the 95 to keep them lighter and give me a bit more spin than the 110s might. But that is really slight and probably not the reason. since I do not have the mind of the fitter.

If you have a 105+ swing speed, the 780s might be too light/flex for you. If not...they feel really good IMO.
I’m around 93-95 with driver, so it sounds like the lighter ones would hold up. Thanks.

The Ptx Pros are in the bag for the simulator season and I'm not sure I have ever been so dialed in with an iron.
Today's round was the back nine at Pebble. A no joke track even on a simulator. Shot -3 on my own ball from the amateur tees. No strokes.
Distance control is just superb. Directional is just as good and everyone knows how good they feel.
The Pro who runs the simulator gave me a sideways look when I turned in the round. Looked up my last three rounds and I have a -6 total no strokes. For league my handicap is gonna plummet. I am having a blast with these irons. Took me a while to love them though.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Finally got back to the simulator today, with the 5, 7, and 9i in tow. Who knows if this was just a random good day, but for dead of winter I was really impressed with the results. I set the green at 150, 180, and 215 (9, 7, 5i) and swung away. The first 5 shots were the usual junk, but after that it really came together. All told I'd estimate I hit the green with ~60% of my shots. You may laugh at that figure, but I was thrilled with that result. A good swing produced a nice high draw, which is like a dream for me. The feedback remains great, never really a question when you square one up, catch it off the toe, or low off the face. Mishits consistently saw ~10 yards of distance loss, which I'd love to see on the course. The 7 and 9iron miss actually tended to be a little left, whereas the 5i remains a fade with my miss. Just historically how it's always been for me with the 4 and 5 irons. I definitely can't wait to get back these back there and see if I can maintain what seems like momentum being built in the dead of winter. It would be really something to head to the course for the first time in April/May and not feel like I have to search for my swing.

I know it's extremely controversial but these smaller heads force me to play better. The reward is sizeable.
My miss is from the setup position where my hands are too low. It causes me to be very toe up at times causing heel contact. You Cannot Get Away With That Here.
Irons with a more GI design will mask my poor setup and I will get by quite well enough. But it's not crisp Golf. This fault creaps into my game till its quite bad. Gi irons will allow it to continue. The Ptx Pros bite hard with a near shank. These force me to think of that fault at all times. Higher hands and better posture lead me to pure strikes and incredible control. That control leads to Supreme confidence and far better play.
If you make a statement that a small head makes you play better....in some places, you will get Destroyed! I stand behind that statement.
These really are a fun head to play with.

Love your take on the PTX Pros, Popeye and I agree wholeheartedly!!! They are club that really reward !!! Yes, you do have to work hard and swing well but the very best part of the improvement that comes with playing them is the accuracy and predictability. When I chose mine last season, it was between the Edge and the PTX and I decided that commitment to hard work and my game would be most rewarded by stepping up to the PTX and I have not regretted the choice a single time. A full bag of Ben Hogan Golf Equipment clubs has been an awesome investment.

Well my visit to the sim got cut short by someone who was actually going to get fit for irons :rolleyes: (I mean c'mon who does that :LOL:) Anyways, got 20 swings in with the 8 iron and was really happy. The forgiveness in these doesn't match to the feel. When you miss you know it, but the distance loss is way less than I expected. I actually had two swings today that I immediately was expecting the standard 10-15 yard loss in distance, but did not see. Both shots carried as far as I would normally expect a good shot to. Needless to say I continue to be excited to get these out on a course and see if the results from the sim carry over to the course.

For some reason, I have a hankering for these.

If the look of these irons don't stir something in your golf soul... you need to go play tennis.
People's eyes light up when they see them in my bag.

I don't think you'd be disappointed, they are really fun to hit and easy on the eyes to boot.

I agree with the boys, Blugold...they simply do not disappoint!!! Equalizer wedges round out a package that leaves me grinning from ear to ear after every trip to the range, every round and every chance to show them off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took these out to the range today for a nice session. Was hitting a lot of the clubs pure. Really started to dial in the long irons today and think I found the sweet spot on the club. The look of these at address is phenomenal. I like the view with minimal cavity, but still plenty of face to get the ball on.

was able to carry a couple of 4 irons over 200 in 45° weather. Cant wait to get back on the course soon!

Took these out to the range today for a nice session. Was hitting a lot of the clubs pure. Really started to dial in the long irons today and think I found the sweet spot on the club. The look of these at address is phenomenal. I like the view with minimal cavity, but still plenty of face to get the ball on.

was able to carry a couple of 4 irons over 200 in 45° weather. Cant wait to get back on the course soon!
The 4 iron is a missile. That head packs a ton of punch for a small profile.

The 4 iron is a missile. That head packs a ton of punch for a small profile.

Completely agree. When I catch the ball clean in good weather I could use the 4 iron off the tee. The best part is that it’s a very controlled miss. Mine is a bit of a pull draw, normally with thinner blades my miss can be sporadic and going both ways.

Hankering might be my favorite word in the English dictionary.

Everytime I want BBQ I announce it to whoever is within earshot "I have a hankering for some BBQ."

It is totally relatable to have a hankering for the Hogan irons.

Last edited:
Had another round of league play on the simulator tonight. Spyglass 12 holes, captain and mate. Now all league long I have been playing the Hogans. The distance control has just risen to a new level that I'm not sure I have ever seen. I can attack any pin with no fear..
We shot -7 and it was an easy -7. The closest score to us is -3 with just a handful of teams left to play. Most scores are even or +1. I know it's a simulator but I started the season at a 6 and my cap has dropped to a 2 and that's in 11 events. I've shot under par on the last 6 events.
I feel that no matter what,, I'm going to be pin high, it's just what side of the pin I'll be on.
I almost gave up on these irons first few go rounds but I'm so freaking glad I stayed with them.

big thumbs up. these look like something I would play.:sick:

Had another round of league play on the simulator tonight. Spyglass 12 holes, captain and mate. Now all league long I have been playing the Hogans. The distance control has just risen to a new level that I'm not sure I have ever seen. I can attack any pin with no fear..
We shot -7 and it was an easy -7. The closest score to us is -3 with just a handful of teams left to play. Most scores are even or +1. I know it's a simulator but I started the season at a 6 and my cap has dropped to a 2 and that's in 11 events. I've shot under par on the last 6 events.
I feel that no matter what,, I'm going to be pin high, it's just what side of the pin I'll be on.
I almost gave up on these irons first few go rounds but I'm so freaking glad I stayed with them.

You sound really dialed in, those are some great Sim scores! The PTX Pro are very confidence inspiring. Its a great feeling to stand over the ball and KNOW that you are going to hit it well.

You sound really dialed in, those are some great Sim scores! The PTX Pro are very confidence inspiring. Its a great feeling to stand over the ball and KNOW that you are going to hit it well.
I have always been a feel based player. Early on with these my poor setup position was leading consistent heel side strikes. Not a place this club likes to live. The smaller head wasn't allowing me to be sloppy.
The minor change I made at setup was a near revelation. Hands high and I was making pure contact. That lead to a growing confidence. That lead to a more aggressive swing. That lead to pin point accuracy. The second my hands low.. creeps back in, these club tell me with feel instantly.
I'm very excited for this season to open up. We still have a snow pack but it's melting quickly. The V type sole will handle the soggy wet turf we will have this spring, quite well.

I have always been a feel based player. Early on with these my poor setup position was leading consistent heel side strikes. Not a place this club likes to live. The smaller head wasn't allowing me to be sloppy.
The minor change I made at setup was a near revelation. Hands high and I was making pure contact. That lead to a growing confidence. That lead to a more aggressive swing. That lead to pin point accuracy. The second my hands low.. creeps back in, these club tell me with feel instantly.
I'm very excited for this season to open up. We still have a snow pack but it's melting quickly. The V type sole will handle the soggy wet turf we will have this spring, quite well.

What shafts do you have in them? I know you've experimented with the Rapid Tapers so assuming some version of those?

That's

That's interesting you mention hands high. My brother was just saying the exact same thing yesterday about having his hands high and how that really improved his results.

What shafts do you have in them? I know you've experimented with the Rapid Tapers so assuming some version of those?
I have the 95g S flex Rapid Tapers.
I've had three different shafts in them before I realized it was all me on the poor contact.

That's

That's interesting you mention hands high. My brother was just saying the exact same thing yesterday about having his hands high and how that really improved his results.
The hands low position had the club toe up and gave me a left miss. Which I just couldn't figure out. It was also causing me an up and down motion in my swing. Head down at address, head high in back swing and then back down at contact. All because of hands low.
Hands high keeps my head up and allows me to stay stable through my swing with head position. Club is square at address and is easily returned to that position.
SGI clubs were allowing me to be comfortable with this setup. The Hogans were having none of that!! It was such a simple fix but I was baffled.
f570f7ec678d1f7c25b67808458101e1.jpg
17d11e25efbdaace42706999d13f0bb5.jpg

Back