Ben Hogan PTX Purchase Help

thewilderside

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So the wife gave a full greenlight to buy new clubs and after reading countless reviews I've decided I'm going the Hogan route. I have a few questions that hopefully some of y'all could offer insight on. First, as an improving mid-high handicapper (16-18 depending on day) am I overshooting myself by going with the combo set with the Icons in 8-PW, or should I go straight PTX Pros? Second, I currently play stiff steel in my Burner 2.0s and get good distance (7-iron ~185 yds) but have read that at that distance I should consider X-Stiff, is that a fair statement? Finally, it seems the reviews on the Hogan Lamkin grips are so-so at best, did anyone stick with them or should I expect to regrip with something else? Looking forward to the responses, as this is a big investment for me and I tend to overanalyze things on my own.

So the wife gave a full greenlight to buy new clubs and after reading countless reviews I've decided I'm going the Hogan route. I have a few questions that hopefully some of y'all could offer insight on. First, as an improving mid-high handicapper (16-18 depending on day) am I overshooting myself by going with the combo set with the Icons in 8-PW, or should I go straight PTX Pros? Second, I currently play stiff steel in my Burner 2.0s and get good distance (7-iron ~185 yds) but have read that at that distance I should consider X-Stiff, is that a fair statement? Finally, it seems the reviews on the Hogan Lamkin grips are so-so at best, did anyone stick with them or should I expect to regrip with something else? Looking forward to the responses, as this is a big investment for me and I tend to overanalyze things on my own.

First off, enjoy the new clubs whatever you go with.

I would check out some of the combo set reviews and ICON reviews on the forum. Some really good stuff from @ddec @KEV and @Jman right now.

I’m not a huge fan of choosing flex based on distance. If you like the ball flight you see and/or the feel you have from that set, I wouldnt necessarily change it.

Kbs v are very stiff compared to burner stock shafts, I would go try to hit them in another iron if you have a local store. If you are a 19, I’d go full ptx as they still feel great with much more forgiveness. Also I didn’t hate the stock grips, they are actually ok.

I’m an 18 and I would recommend full PTx Pros (in black) unless your handicap has little to do with ball striking. The PTx Pros are more forgiving then their look would suggest.

Regarding stiffness, one of the great things about BH is that you can take advantage of the demo program and get a couple clubs to try out before you buy. I would highly recommend that before guessing at stiff vs extra stiff.

I didn’t really enjoy the grips that came with my PTx Pros, as I found then to be a bit more slippery in the Florida humidity. I put on GP MCC +4 aligns, but that’s also because I am very fond of that particular grip, despite its higher cost. The BH Lamkins are playable, but far from my favorite.

I would second the PTX pros, i am a 15 and have no issue playing them. I would also agree that you should demo a few different clubs to see what you prefer.

I recently went full Hogan. I'm playing 80-85 consistently. I went PTX Pro 4-PW plus 50 54 and 60 equalizer wedges and could not be happier!!! Spent the $ and time for a fitting at a Club Champion and spent the extra $ to have them build them which got me lifetime free loft/lie adjustments and golf pride mcc+4 midsize grips. My swing speed is slow at about 90-95 so KBS tour 90 regular steel shafts and 1 degree minus on the lie. Key is this: the fitting put me into right clubs shafts grips and adjustments and for me these are a long-term investment so I believe the fitting was huge. The Hogan's are amazing and I'm thrilled with my investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m an 18 and I would recommend full PTx Pros (in black) unless your handicap has little to do with ball striking. The PTx Pros are more forgiving then their look would suggest.

Regarding stiffness, one of the great things about BH is that you can take advantage of the demo program and get a couple clubs to try out before you buy. I would highly recommend that before guessing at stiff vs extra stiff.

I didn’t really enjoy the grips that came with my PTx Pros, as I found then to be a bit more slippery in the Florida humidity. I put on GP MCC +4 aligns, but that’s also because I am very fond of that particular grip, despite its higher cost. The BH Lamkins are playable, but far from my favorite.
So here's another question. I'm interested in the demo, problem(?) is I'm 6'5 and haven't played standard length/lie clubs in years. Would I be able to get an accurate feel for things using clubs that are outside of my norm?

Related note - when I try to order a demo club they're all listed as sold out :LOL::cry:

First off, great choice on going with Hogan's! Here would be my advice for you:

- am I overshooting myself by going with the combo set with the Icons in 8-PW, or should I go straight PTX Pros? - it's tough to tell because really it comes down to how good of a ball striker you are with irons. If you hit irons solidly a combo set might work for you. If not the PTx Pros could be perfect and would still be a whole lot of fun to play. Also, go with what's going to make you happy and give you the most enjoyment.

- I currently play stiff steel in my Burner 2.0s and get good distance (7-iron ~185 yds) but have read that at that distance I should consider X-Stiff, is that a fair statement? - this is so tough to tell. Distance isn't what I would be most worried about. Sure we want to hit it far but consistency, accuracy, ball flight, etc. is more important. I feel like the KBS Tour V's are a very good shaft and may play stiffer than what you had in years old irons. Like someone else said, maybe the demo program would be a good opportunity to try before you buy to make sure they work.

- Grips - I had used Lamkin Z5 grips on my woods in the past and wasn't the biggest fan but I've actually had zero problems with them on my ICON'S. They aren't my preference but I've had no desire to swap them until they wear out.

If you have any other questions fire away! I'm glad to see someone else potentially hop on the Hogan train. I really don't think you can find a better deal in golf when it comes to Equipment.

Related note - when I try to order a demo club they're all listed as sold out :LOL::cry:

Well OK, I see your location listed as Upper Valley VT. I'm Upper Valley NH. If you want to meet at Fore-U, you have a demo set.

Well OK, I see your location listed as Upper Valley VT. I'm Upper Valley NH. If you want to meet at Fore-U, you have a demo set.
That would be awesome! I noticed you were somewhat close to me as I recognized your 5'6" shot on #6 at Larkin CC from the PTX Pro thread :LOL:. I actually played there the weekend before the tournament and know a couple guys that played in that member-guest. I guess question again comes down to is it going to matter that I have to play adjusted irons due to my height?

First off, great choice on going with Hogan's! Here would be my advice for you:

- am I overshooting myself by going with the combo set with the Icons in 8-PW, or should I go straight PTX Pros? - it's tough to tell because really it comes down to how good of a ball striker you are with irons. If you hit irons solidly a combo set might work for you. If not the PTx Pros could be perfect and would still be a whole lot of fun to play. Also, go with what's going to make you happy and give you the most enjoyment.

- I currently play stiff steel in my Burner 2.0s and get good distance (7-iron ~185 yds) but have read that at that distance I should consider X-Stiff, is that a fair statement? - this is so tough to tell. Distance isn't what I would be most worried about. Sure we want to hit it far but consistency, accuracy, ball flight, etc. is more important. I feel like the KBS Tour V's are a very good shaft and may play stiffer than what you had in years old irons. Like someone else said, maybe the demo program would be a good opportunity to try before you buy to make sure they work.

- Grips - I had used Lamkin Z5 grips on my woods in the past and wasn't the biggest fan but I've actually had zero problems with them on my ICON'S. They aren't my preference but I've had no desire to swap them until they wear out.

If you have any other questions fire away! I'm glad to see someone else potentially hop on the Hogan train. I really don't think you can find a better deal in golf when it comes to Equipment.
I've fully made up my mind I'm going Hogan, just a matter of honing in on the right combination. :D

• Appreciation
Reactions: KEV
now THAT is quite neighborly of ya mate! KUDO's.

So here's another question. I'm interested in the demo, problem(?) is I'm 6'5 and haven't played standard length/lie clubs in years. Would I be able to get an accurate feel for things using clubs that are outside of my norm?
I don’t see why not. I think of the clubs they send you is a 6 iron which should be long enough.

Try back often, they come back in stock often due to people sending their demo set back.

I've fully made up my mind I'm going Hogan, just a matter of honing in on the right combination. :D

I have ICON and PTx Pro, assuming you are RH. Send me a PM, we'll get dialed in.

Man it's hard to say if you are overshooting yourself with a combo set. Knowing nothing about your game except that you play stuff flex burner irons that go far, I would say based on your cap yes. But that doesn't mean that you can't play them and play them well. What I would say is it to be brutally honest with yourself about your striking ability. I have not played the PTx Pro but somehwere/somehow down the road I will look to add the PTx Pro Black long irons to my ICONs. As a double digit handicap, I know I am sacrificing forgiveness with the ICONS. But a lot of my cap comes from my driving ability. When I drive it well, I normally score well. No doubt I am losing something with the irons, but I love love love the feel and the instant feedback I get from them. When I hit a good shot with it, there is something there that I don't get from my Apex Combo set.

Shaft flex, I'm guessing the weight of the shafts in your Burner irons is sub 100. KBS Tour V or whatever other option you choose will certainly add some more weight. It's so hard to tell someone what to get flex wise based off of just a number or two.

Now the grip....Im a fan. Lamkin Z5 is a grip I have enjoyed in the past and have zero issues with them on my irons. Grip is always super personal though. Some like GP tour velvets, I usually loathe them.

I recently went full Hogan. I'm playing 80-85 consistently. I went PTX Pro 4-PW plus 50 54 and 60 equalizer wedges and could not be happier!!! Spent the $ and time for a fitting at a Club Champion and spent the extra $ to have them build them which got me lifetime free loft/lie adjustments and golf pride mcc+4 midsize grips. My swing speed is slow at about 90-95 so KBS tour 90 regular steel shafts and 1 degree minus on the lie. Key is this: the fitting put me into right clubs shafts grips and adjustments and for me these are a long-term investment so I believe the fitting was huge. The Hogan's are amazing and I'm thrilled with my investment.

Love to hear you like the Equalizer wedges. I'm going to add the 50 and 54 to my order as well. It's been one of my biggest complaints I haven't addressed in recent years is my bag has the PW at 45* and then my SW is 54*, that gap is annoying. Will be nice to eliminate that gap plus my 54 is 7+ years old so might as well get that too while I have the Mrs.' blessing :LOL:

Man it's hard to say if you are overshooting yourself with a combo set. Knowing nothing about your game except that you play stuff flex burner irons that go far, I would say based on your cap yes. But that doesn't mean that you can't play them and play them well. What I would say is it to be brutally honest with yourself about your striking ability. I have not played the PTx Pro but somehwere/somehow down the road I will look to add the PTx Pro Black long irons to my ICONs. As a double digit handicap, I know I am sacrificing forgiveness with the ICONS. But a lot of my cap comes from my driving ability. When I drive it well, I normally score well. No doubt I am losing something with the irons, but I love love love the feel and the instant feedback I get from them. When I hit a good shot with it, there is something there that I don't get from my Apex Combo set.

Shaft flex, I'm guessing the weight of the shafts in your Burner irons is sub 100. KBS Tour V or whatever other option you choose will certainly add some more weight. It's so hard to tell someone what to get flex wise based off of just a number or two.

Now the grip....Im a fan. Lamkin Z5 is a grip I have enjoyed in the past and have zero issues with them on my irons. Grip is always super personal though. Some like GP tour velvets, I usually loathe them.
Couldn't agree more with this. My iron play has been really good this year but I still haven't dialed in my driver (25+ yrs later haha). It's a real toss up between the combo set where I'd probably go UiHi for my 4 iron, and straight set of PTX Pros.

While we're on it, anyone have thoughts on the TT Dynamic vs. KBS Tour shaft options?

While we're on it, anyone have thoughts on the TT Dynamic vs. KBS Tour shaft options?
Never tried the Dynamic that I can think of, wish I could help. I've had the Tour V in both my ICON'S and original PTx and they seem to be a great combination.

Never tried the Dynamic that I can think of, wish I could help. I've had the Tour V in both my ICON'S and original PTx and they seem to be a great combination.
Seems most people have the KBS. I'm pretty sure that's what's in my Burner 2.0s but I'd have to check.

Reactions: KEV
Love to hear you like the Equalizer wedges. I'm going to add the 50 and 54 to my order as well. It's been one of my biggest complaints I haven't addressed in recent years is my bag has the PW at 45* and then my SW is 54*, that gap is annoying. Will be nice to eliminate that gap plus my 54 is 7+ years old so might as well get that too while I have the Mrs.' blessing :LOL:

The equalizer wedges are AWESOME!!!

I’ll say this, I LOVE the combo set, but I think the play for most is 100% the full PTx Pro setup, it makes more sense because in the end, MB’s are still MB’s, ya know?

I’ll say this, I LOVE the combo set, but I think the play for most is 100% the full PTx Pro setup, it makes more sense because in the end, MB’s are still MB’s, ya know?
This is a good point, I haven't magically mastered golf so best to stick with something that will provide some help :LOL:

This is a good point, I haven't magically mastered golf so best to stick with something that will provide some help :LOL:
I would LOVE to sway you to getting some MB action, I love being a bad influence :ROFLMAO:

But, realistically, the Pros are one hell of a complete set.

Back