Ben Hogan VKTR Hybrids Review Thread

I was one of the original testers of the Viktor and at the time, I played long irons which I shouldn't have but I never had a hybrid that I liked. I remember my first few hits with this club I really didn't have it dialed in. After about several outings things got better each time I used it tot he point where it was my go-to from long distance. The club had a permanent spot in the bag until either I left it on the ground somewhere when practicing or it was lifted. Mine had the Irod shaft which was well suited for this club and gave it a mid-flight and a solid sound. One thing I like about this club was how easy it was to aim at a target. I think it's one of the best hybrids that I have ever hit!

I got the 20* & 24* at the Hogan Experience. They have Recoil 75 reg flex shafts in them.

I picked up a 24* for a song off eBay to try beforehand because I’ve not had much success with iron type hybrids. I loved it from the first swing even though the shaft is wrong for me.

I’ve only played the others the 2 rounds in Nashville but I hit them pretty well. I struggled with the 20* but I normally play a 7w so that was a big adjustment. The 24 was pretty automatic. I didn’t get to hit it much and I hit one really bad pull hook with it (played it too far forward) but when I did my part it excelled. The one shot that stands out was a 180ish approach over water. I hit it way out on the toe and thought it was wet. But it just kept going and ended up on the fringe in position for me to walk off with par (too bad I can’t putt).

It’s really too small of a sample size to make any definitive claims on them but overall I’m pretty happy. The 24 will definitely stay in the bag. The 20 is really going to have to impress me to supplant the 7w.

Here’s what my putt looked like from the toe shot

7fbd4159946afd3cad95a4566a2e35f9.jpg

I admittedly was not a fan of the VKTR previously. Got a 22 degree about 10 months ago with the UST Irod shaft and just never could really get enough out of it from a distance standpoint to keep it in the bag. Was hitting it about the same distance as my 5 iron just higher so I kept playing either a 4 iron or original Apex 4h.

Decided to put it back in the bag 3 or 4 days ago and have seen much better results this time around. I moved the weight from middle back to the sole and that definitely reduced the high short spinning shots I was previously hitting. Could not hit it at all the first go around with the weight in the sole. Was contemplating a shaft change but now it appears to have come alive for me. Will continue to game it for a few weeks to see if it will be a viable option for me.

Pre-event J.b.COBB III kept talking about how amazing these were and how easy to hit. I must give him some credit. They really are good, maybe one of the better hybrids I've hit. The recoil is a great match for this club. I'm going to hit this tomorrow for the majority of my tee shots, because right now I'm only hitting it once or twice per round, but with fantastic results.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

First off, Hawt Carl, you're welcome! Second, has anyone heard a whistling noise when hitting these hybrids? It was an original complaint when they were first introduced. I have never heard it, but I didn't hit the first production run of these either.

I usually hear a swish followed by a ball impact clink, and if the game is going like normal, a curse word, and clunk from the ball rattling off a nearby tree. but no whistle

First off, Hawt Carl, you're welcome! Second, has anyone heard a whistling noise when hitting these hybrids? It was an original complaint when they were first introduced. I have never heard it, but I didn't hit the first production run of these either.

Its there. Tyler agrees its there. If the club is not square one won’t hear it.

I remember this blowing my mind when I hit one for the first time.

I hear it on practice swings but not on actual swings when contacting the ball. Got mine a little less than a year ago so certainly not part of the early production runs.

I haven't noticed that sound yet, but next round out I'll listen for it. I have only needed to hit it a few times since I've been back from the event but it's so easy to hit and is getting optimal height/distance so far. I love the shape of the head and the large sweet spot.

Got this in the mail today, can't wait to get it on the course.
272f1a9ea25d0ecab4e9ed9f922146b5.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I hear it on practice swings but not on actual swings when contacting the ball. Got mine a little less than a year ago so certainly not part of the early production runs.

this is me. i remember the whistle during practice swings, but can't recall hearing it during actual swings.

and i really enjoyed this hybrid. perfect shape and size, really good feel, and super workable. very much what i consider to be an iron replacement.

Well that's unfortunate. :sad:

I have had great results with mine and I've never heard a whistle. I do hear a whirring sound as the ball flies away though.

Well this makes sense as A. I've never squared a club. B. I rarely take practice swings.

I missed this the other day. Now I am glad I hear it!

Very first shot with the 18 degree hybrid right after taking the plastic off. 215 out, 2nd shot on a par 5, completely blind shot. Set up an easy tap in birdie.

I hit it 4 times today today and am completely impressed. I also decided to make multiple practice swings and heard the whistle sound, very loudly. But with impact on the ball no sound at all.

56ac2714110009edfcd78914285635a0.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yeah I got my 21* a few weeks ago and LOVE it. Used it first on a par 3, 205 to the back. Smoked it just through to the fringe right over the pin. I flighted it down thinking I'd need to for a little extra roll out, so not the clubs fault it didn't hold... Feels great though...I did notice the whistle the second time I took it out, but only on short little practice settings I take behind the ball as party of my routine, it's not Everytime though

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Great day with hybrid, hit a couple of 240+ yard shots including a mis-hit off the heel that was more of a stinger than a true hit. It was about 20' off the ground and ran hard up to the edge of the green. One of my favorite clubs so far!

The hybrids combo'd with the recoil shafts are quickly becoming some of my favorite clubs I've ever hit. The shape of the head with the huge sweet spot make it very easy to hit and on mishits they still go a long way and not too far off target. I have even tee'd off with it twice now on par 4's and for short par 4's this can be a staple for me when I need to find the fairway.

How many hybrids do you currently play? Well, my answer is 3! I demoed the 20* VKTR hybrid back in October when I was just getting back into golf after not playing for 6 years. Me being a Ben Hogan guy demoed everything they had to offer then, and this was the club that stood out the most. It was classy and sleek looking, super easy to launch, had a great feel, offered forgiveness, and had a penetrating ball flight. If you scroll back a couple pages you will find my post from earlier this year..."Will probably have 2 or 3 of these in my new bag this year! Called it back in February!! Ever since hybrids started becoming more and more mainstream, OEMs have begin offering different versions over the years. The VKTR, pronounced vector, is a throwback to golf shafts Mr. Hogan developed in the 70's. These shafts were unique because they featured a wider diameter at the top 1/3 of the shaft and required special grips. Imagine a normal golf shaft with a section of W/S Fat Shaft at the end. So, fast forward 40 some years and the modern version of the VKTR was released in 2016. I forgot to ask Tyler about the development of these clubs and their similarities to the old Adams Golf Pro and Idea Pro hybrids. But, these are currently the oldest club offered in the Ben Hogan arsenal. BH is currently working/developing a replacement, but, as Tyler told me, they haven't been able to make something to outperform these yet and they were not in the business to just cycle out clubs on a "set schedule"! Reviews have been very positive. Only negatives are some people feel they can't game these due to the smaller size. Most modern hybrids are large/very larger in comparison. I have 2 Tour Edge EXS hybrids that resemble fairway woods more than hybrids. The other complaint is the "whistle"! I have mentioned it in earlier posts. I have never heard it! But, many people have. JB says its due to the clubface being square. So, I need to work on that!
VKTR hybrids are a smaller, "rescue" style hybrid. They offer the same "V-sole technology" that is offered throughout the entire Ben Hogan Golf selection. The club head size varies with loft...starting with 110cc @ 17* to 96cc at 27* of loft. The 17*& 19* hybrids have been discontinued. They now offer 18* and 20*-27*. The VKTR also has 4 moveable weights to allow for shot shaping...3 in the outer circumference of the club head and one in the middle of the sole. The weights are 1-18g and 3-2g.
I can not say enough about this club! Its performance and versatility are amazing! You can take on that long 2nd shot into a Par 5 and hold the green, you can plow your way out of trouble in the rough, or you can pick the ball clean out of the fairway bunker!

image1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPGimage4.JPGimage5.JPGimage6.JPG

Last edited:
continued...

Attachments

• image9.JPG
    image9.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image8.JPG
    image8.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image7.JPG
    image7.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 3
Yep impressed with my 21* today, three great to balls and a second shot in a part five wrapped around some trees to get in on two... Not it's fault I three jacked for par!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I LOVE these clubs! They just perform! If they made a 30*, I would replace my 6 iron! I have a 18-22-26* VKTR hybrids. They have the V2 shafts. Get a nice mid-low flight. I had mine built a little shorter than stock..to be true iron replacements. The 26 is 38.5", 22 is 39.25", and the 18 is 40". I have zero ego anymore when it comes to golf! I want to be in the fairway or hit as many greens in regulation as much as possible, and these help me do that! I had 200 yards to a flag today on a long par 4. I was directly behind some cypress trees. If I tried to go over them, I would have needed something higher lofted and I couldn't have reached the green. If I hit it out over the middle of the fairway, I was going to have to leak it back right to make the green. I used the 22* VKTR, put a smooth, easy swing on it...I did go back to my old grip here...to block it some...the ball started straight and faded perfectly around the trees. It hit the front of the green and rolled pin high about 5-7 yards off the right of the green. One thing I am beginning to use this club for, is a chip or bump & run. Just grip down a little and use a putting motion! It works well! This club deserves a lot more attention than it is getting! Also...still didn't hear the whistle!

Off subject but curious if you had considered replacing your PW with a 48 degree Equilizer

I LOVE these clubs! They just perform! If they made a 30*, I would replace my 6 iron! I have a 18-22-26* VKTR hybrids. They have the V2 shafts. Get a nice mid-low flight. I had mine built a little shorter than stock..to be true iron replacements. The 26 is 38.5", 22 is 39.25", and the 18 is 40". I have zero ego anymore when it comes to golf! I want to be in the fairway or hit as many greens in regulation as much as possible, and these help me do that! I had 200 yards to a flag today on a long par 4. I was directly behind some cypress trees. If I tried to go over them, I would have needed something higher lofted and I couldn't have reached the green. If I hit it out over the middle of the fairway, I was going to have to leak it back right to make the green. I used the 22* VKTR, put a smooth, easy swing on it...I did go back to my old grip here...to block it some...the ball started straight and faded perfectly around the trees. It hit the front of the green and rolled pin high about 5-7 yards off the right of the green. One thing I am beginning to use this club for, is a chip or bump & run. Just grip down a little and use a putting motion! It works well! This club deserves a lot more attention than it is getting! Also...still didn't hear the whistle!

Off subject but curious if you had considered replacing your PW with a 48 degree Equilizer

No sir. @LLIB has a 48 Equalizer in his bag. His PW is bent 2* strong to 44*.

Back