Ben Hogan VKTR Hybrids Review Thread

Numbers from the simulator on Monday. I compared my BH VKTR 22*with ProForce V2 shaft to my TEE EXS 22* hybrid with ProForce V2 shaft. The EXS hybrid is more of a small fairway wood...where the VKTR is more "rescue" type hybrid. I have both of these clubs playing at 39" to be true 4 iron replacements.
BH VKTR 22* 203 Yards 3800 RPMs Ball flight is typically a little higher and lands softer. Great for going into a green.
TEE EXS 22* 212 Yards 3600 RPMs Ball flight is a little lower, more penetrating. Getting some roll out from this club.
The VKTR I have always liked. It is a great club. It is just an easier to hit long iron. The EXS is a shrunken fairway wood...probably more forgiving due to size...but less adjustable do to the VKTR's 4 weight ports. I would say the VKTR is a more workable-versatile club, where the EXS is to get you to a distance.

Got my 18* coming, with Proforce V2 Stiff. Going to join the PTxPro and equalizer wedges in my bag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my 18* with Proforce V2 Stiff today. How much difference is there in ball flight comparing the 18 gram weight in the sole vs center-back of the clubhead? Noticeably higher / lower, shorter / longer, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Hit these quite a bit today in the swirling wind we had going on. I'm getting a really nice medium ball flight that was cutting through the wind really nicely. I have mine paired with the recoil shaft and I have been able to hit these pretty well so far. The only thing I've seen so far are the toe mishits are kind of penal.

Hit the 18* a couple of times in a scramble today. A little early to tell if the shaft is a bit stout for me. I got the V2 Proforce Stiff but wonder if I should have gotten the Recoil, which I hit great in my irons. Hit the V2 well but just low. Time will tell. Only $40 to buy a Recoil if I want to switch.

Had a pretty good day with the VKTR. Had a couple of short par 4's that I probably would have flown with driver. Had two beautiful shots that flew just short of the green. This is the first club I've ever owned with a UST Recoil. This combo really works for me.

This club was the highlight of my range session today. It’s got a more solid feel to it than what I’m used to but this club just performs.

I love the way the 18* sets up at address. I was able to hit some really nice draws with this off the tee and off the grass as well. Forgiving off the toe and even when I caught it a touch heavy, it still went.

This one was my favorite of the Hogan set today by a wide margin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Second time out with my 18* today as well. Hit some really nice shots with it. Still not convinced I like the Proforce V2 more than the Recoils I have in my irons. But that’s an easy fix if I decide to swap it.

Have my hybrids paired with recoils and they have been great for me so far. During my scramble the other day a buddy of mine hit the 18* and he is going to be purchasing one this week. They are really easy to hit, I feel like the sweet spot is massive on these hybrids, love the way they look at address.

Yeah Recoil ES Smacwrap is only $40 at Golfworks and I can do the work myself so no major outlay to try it.

gbtrsc;n8897486 said:
Yeah Recoil ES Smacwrap is only $40 at Golfworks and I can do the work myself so no major outlay to try it.

I have been pondering this change also. I have a UST iRoD in my 22* currently. It is ok but think I may be able to get more out of it with a different shaft.

I really like these! I like them better than my EXS hybrids. Tyler said until they could design something to improve upon it, they weren't going to change it. It's been 3 years now. For the price, $135, it's a bargain. I wish they would bring out a 30* VKTR!

I've always had great results with my VKTR even though I have not heard the "whistle". Apparently, per previous posts, the club face needs to be square to hear it. With the recent improvements to my swing I now hear the whistle. :bulgy-eyes:

Well, I guess there's no doubt that the VKTR definitely checks the "forgiving" box...

3 month review:

Vktr hybrid
Highly underrated hybrid offering that is a couple of years older than the rest of the lineup. It's the logical next club to be updated. However, if it ain't broke...don't fix it. I love the way this club looks at address. It sets up nicely behind the ball and is one of the few hybrids that doesn't look tiny sitting behind the ball. I usually struggle with going left on most hybrids. I haven't had that issue with this one. I've actually hit a few draws with it, but nothing severe or punishing. I was the dummy that chose to order a utility iron, the only one of the group. I was told a couple of weeks before the event that some of the hybrids and the utility irons were sold out and might not be back in stock before the event. It was truly one of the clubs I was looking forward to hitting. I did receive an update from Tyler that they were in stock and it should be built next week. So I'll review it when it comes in.

My overall rating looks like this:
Playability: 9/10
Looks: 6/10
Fit & Finish: 6/10
Sound: 9/10
Forgiveness: 8/10
Bang for the $$$: 10/10

Final notes: A solid hybrid for a great price. Super long, super forgiving even with bad swings. I hope they update this one next. It's the most dated club of the entire lineup. Every other club looks classy but modern. The VKTR still looks classy, but looks like my Adams XTD hybrids from 2014. Fit and finish took a bit of a hit on a nit picky issue. The VKTR should have adjustable weights around the perimeter. I attempted to pull the weights to experiment, and found the weights weren't exactly adjustable. Of the three, one backed out completely. One just spun, and the other started to back out and locked up. I was able to get them all back in place and haven't lost a weight yet. There are some minor quality issues with a few of the clubs the Hogan attendees have found. This one is minor, but sometimes it's the little things.

Last edited:
It’s been a while since I’ve posted any updates on these and it was because I had lost all confidence in them and had taken them out of the bag. I was hitting everything off the toe and getting a big push slice or a pull hook.

Out of desperation I put the heavy weights in the heel of both hybrids and threw them back in the bag just to see what would happen. What a difference that made! I was hitting them dead straight and long. I had 1 pull hook but that was on a tee shot and I think I played the ball a little too far forward. Other than that every shot was solid.

Actually too solid on one shot. Second shot on a par 5. I was about 240 out with water in front of the green starting right around the 210 mark. I don’t have a 240 club so I pulled the 26° hybrid thinking I would just lay up about 70 or so yards out. I knew I hit it well but I didn’t think I hit it as well as I did. I watched it hit the fairway, take one bounce and go in the water. 210yd 26* hybrid? I wasn’t even mad, lol

I've been using these a lot lately as I usually can't go for many par 5s in two and have been setting myself up very nicely. I have the 18 and 22 degree hybrids and have no plan on changing them anytime soon. Off of the center of the face they are great and off the toe they lose a little distance but don't get crazy off line. I am happy to give up some distance on a toe mishit than have it slice on me and go out of play.

Need to share a cool shot from Saturday with my hybrid.

Played a new course and it had a 230 yard par 3. Wind was ever so slightly into us so I pulled the hybrid. Pin was all the way in the back too. My ball literally hit about a yard left of the flagstick and rolled off the back of the green.

This thing is an absolute beast and quickly becoming my favorite club of the Hogan lineup.

Had a beautiful swing with the VKTR today. After waiting far too long for the foursome clogging the field up, I waited long enough and hit my 4I and had 230 out. I pulled the hybrid and hit a beautiful shot that turned over left to right and was pin high. But just off the green chopped up and putted in for par. Definitely one of my favorites!

My 21* VKTR (Recoil 95 F4) continues to perform. I was used to using a 7 wood to fill the gap between my 5 wood and 4 iron in my previous set and wasn't sure if this club would fit the bill. It has been able to without any concerns. I used to shy away from hybrids due to the perpetual hook they produced. I have not had that experience with this club. It sets up nice and square behind the ball and produces a very repeatable ball flight. I have not played with any of the different weight configurations because I have been very pleased with the performance and ball flight from the stock settings. It was stated from another Hogan experience participant that these are very underrated and I would tend to agree. I have had a few people ask me what club it was. When I told them their response was "never heard of it". After they took a few swings with it, they said they needed to look into them.

Pulled the V2 Stiff today in my 18*. I have a Smacwrap 780 F4 drying in it right now. Report to follow.

Pulled the V2 Stiff today in my 18*. I have a Smacwrap 780 F4 drying in it right now. Report to follow.

Standing by

Was hoping to play today and try it out. But last night I was walking through the garage barefoot, getting ready to grip it, and I stubbed my little toe really hard on something. Think I broke it. Still pretty sore this morning. Maybe can get out tomorrow night for nine. If not it will be next weekend.

Was able to get out for nine holes scramble with my wife and other couple at the club tonight. Only hit two shots with the 18* hybrid. One I hit really fat and into a hazard in front of the tee. The other I absolutely smoked. Hit it off the deck on a short downhill par 4. Much better (higher) trajectory vs the V2. Longer too. I can already tell this was a great swap. More to follow.

Interesting...I like the VKTR is have, 18* also with the stock V2 stiff. I'm a little inconsistent with it right now, but so is my swing with most everything. I do hit some good shots with it and really everything I hit when I first got it was great...I was swinging better then...but I'm not opposed to trying something different.

My objective was two fold. 1) bring the ball flight up. I was hitting the V2 quite low. Was only about 15 yards longer than my PTxPro 4-iron. 2) more closely match the feel and trajectory of my irons, which also have the Recoil 780 F4 in them.

I can tell that this is gonna be a great swap. Super feel, smooth swinging, solid, higher ball flight and much longer. Probably 15-20 yard improvement.

Back