Best “golf” book you ever read...?

Hogan by Curt Sampson

Currently reading An American Caddie in St. Andrews and I'm enjoying that one too.

His brother is Ad Rock. A caddie at St Andrews told me some stories about Oliver.

The Ernest Jones books is great

The Match
A Course Called Ireland
Hogan by Curt Samson

I know the OP said "just primarily about golf," but the best "golf" book I ever read wasn't about golf at all. It was Brian Enos' Practical Shooting : Beyond Fundamentals. This is a book about how to become more proficient in handgun shooting sports. Why was it useful to me in golf? He first teaches a concept that can be roughly boiled-down to "relaxed focus."

The same concept is found in Japanese martial arts: Zanshin

Relaxed focus, or relaxed awareness (in this context focus and awareness mean the same thing), is very difficult to master, because one naturally tends to tense-up when they concentrate on achieving a particular thing. It is that feeling that one must CONCENTRATE! that results in the tensing-up. That tensing-up is counter-productive. It prevents your mind and body from executing smoothly.

It took a lot of practice for me to achieve that relaxed focus. I had to learn to let go of the idea I had to CONCENTRATE!. All-of-a-sudden, one day, I was doing it. I was becoming "one with" the state of my body (my stance, balance, the feel of the grip), where my sights were, where the target was, all without tensing-up.

It was like the sun coming out after a rainstorm.

I believe this same principle will help with my golf game--if I can bring it to my golf swing.

So many good ones.

Little Red Book
Golf in the Kingdom
Golf My Way - Nicklaus
Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect - Rotella - and the followup books.
Swing Like A Pro

and many others.

Rotella's "Golf is not a game of perfect"

Dave Pelz, Short Game Bible

Practical Golf by John Jacob's. Explains each type of bad shot and how to correct it. Very logical approach.

The Big Miss by Hank Haney. If your a Tiger fan it’s a must read!

I'll go with a tie between The Match and The Greatest Game Ever Played

Dead Solid Perfect by Dan Jenkins.

The Match
The Green Road Home. Michael Bamberger

Pencils Little Red Book.

Paper Tiger by Tom Coyne

The Art of Putting by Stan Utley is another good one.

I know the OP said "just primarily about golf," but the best "golf" book I ever read wasn't about golf at all. It was Brian Enos' Practical Shooting : Beyond Fundamentals. This is a book about how to become more proficient in handgun shooting sports. Why was it useful to me in golf? He first teaches a concept that can be roughly boiled-down to "relaxed focus."

Great book.

Stream-of-consciousness thing, last night, starting with my pondering @Luchnia's "If you are a Christian..." thread leading to "why would it be limited to Christianity?" leading to the thought "even Buddhism" leading to thinking about how Zen-like golf can be leading to thinking about Zanshin leading to me entering "Zen Golf" into an Amazon search bar leading to me purchasing Zen Golf: Mastering The Mental Game.

Starts out, right away, mentioning the very same principles as the first chapter in the shooting book I mentioned, earlier.

So: My first golf book. It'll be interesting to see where he goes with it. It gets 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon, with 1562 ratings.

Loopers and a course Called Ireland.

Bobby Jones on Golf.

Back