Best advice you have ever heard from a Pro golfer? (In-person, YouTube) etc?

Paddy1Putt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have two....

Kisner with the barstool guys. He was giving Franky chipping lessons and said to the camera, if you are the kind of golfer who plays two 18 a week or less, you should never come off the chipping green and practice this exclusively. "I planywith a lot of AM's and they throw the most strokes away around the green". Pat Perez said something similar. That the amatures at his clubs could easily drop 5 - 6 handicap just improving their around the green. They rarely hit the green so the chip is essentially their first putt.

1a would be Daniel Berger. It's the only time I see a pro say this. Biggest mistake amatures make is swinging faster than their ability level will allow them. That for some reason stuck with me forever. And honestly put me down a journey of acceptance. Now I hit my distances and not a bit more. If I come up short, I don't care I am sticking with my tempo to keep my swing mechanics in tack. I have made some changes along the way mostly helpful and have become a better player for it. Rocco Mediate talks about this as well.

Any gold you remember hearing from a pro?

Kiz's chipping video is by far the most useful thing I've ever seen from a pro.

I saw some things from Tom Watson around chipping that has worked out. Basically talking about not needing to stay super stiff with your lower body and allow some movement in it. May not work for everyone but it jives with my natural style which seems to work out pretty well for me.

Got the chance years ago to attend the Ameritech Open in Cleveland. I was working for Holiday Inn at the time, and we had some Senior Players staying with us along with the CBS Tech crew. I got to know pretty much everyone that week and there was a Sr. Player, Doud Daziel who was staying in our hotel. I got to know him, his wife and his daughter (she was his caddie) and struck up a great friendship. Doug even got me into the Clubhouse at Canterberry Country Club where there were playing, he said if I were asked, I am his "nephew". I sat at a table of legends, Chi Chi, Dale Douglas, Tommy Armour, Hale Irwin and they were talking smack and then I was asked the who/what questions.
I was in awe just sitting in the Clubhouse but now a table of players that I watched with my Father on TV while growing up. They asked if I played, my scores and why I play such a difficult game. I told them since I was about 10 I used to used my Father's clubs, not a good player usually 100's. Then Chi Chi took my hands and said, "Enjoy the game". "Golf is a peaceful time outside where you and a little white ball can go wherever you want to. It's fun, do overthink it".
Best words ever given to me.
and I still have the ball that Chi Chi tossed to me and signed.

Last edited:
That's a really interesting question. At the moment I would be reluctant giving credit to any one particular at risk of offending other particulars, but my signature gives an example of one, and somewhat reflects Chi Chi's comment above.

Bryson - pause at the top with driver. Also his bunker tips with getting hands lower to change lie angle

1a would be Daniel Berger. It's the only time I see a pro say this. Biggest mistake amatures make is swinging faster than their ability level will allow them. That for some reason stuck with me forever. And honestly put me down a journey of acceptance. Now I hit my distances and not a bit more. If I come up short, I don't care I am sticking with my tempo to keep my swing mechanics in tack. I have made some changes along the way mostly helpful and have become a better player for it. Rocco Mediate talks about this as well.
This is an interesting one. Among Tour players tempo is top priority. The irony is that the better one's tempo the more solid he/she strikes the ball. And when striking the ball very solid one's natural instinct is to try for even more distance. So , Tour pros are constantly aware of tempo and careful not to start going at the ball too hard.

At some point, your body & swing are what they are the sooner you accept that the better you'll be. Figure out what you can do & stick with that.
Clark Dennis 2 weeks ago on the range.

This is an interesting one. Among Tour players tempo is top priority. The irony is that the better one's tempo the more solid he/she strikes the ball. And when striking the ball very solid one's natural instinct is to try for even more distance. So , Tour pros are constantly aware of tempo and careful not to start going at the ball too hard.

I struggle with this myself. Literally the only thing I do in the way of golf training is tempo exercises. Don't get me wrong I'll set up correctly, etc... But my swing is exclusively tempo related.

@TheGolfSensei on Youtube.

His short game video is awesome is amazing, But when he broke down putting and breaking putts and showed why you want to add 25-50% extra to your read on the break That really resonated because most people (Myself included) Under read the break.

He has a Video of a Clinic "This Short Game Clinic Will Change Your Life" It's a great watch if you struggle around the greens or even if you don't You might still learn a thing or two.

Last edited:
i played with a guy who played d1 college golf. his family is super rich, so he just screws around on his boat all day, allegedly does commercial development deals, but basically just eats and drinks himself to an ever-growing waistline. yet he has an amazing golf iq. he hits an old blade mizuno 2-iron off the tee and shoots even par give (or take!) a few shots. every single round. it's amazing. doesn't have an f- to give, just plays the game his way. then there's me with my training aids and launch monitor and years of lessons and i have no chance to ever be what he IS, let alone what he used to be. so we're playing together and i'm struggling, steam's coming out of my ears, just a general surly attitude. he goes, "dude, you're not good enough to get mad."

i won't say i live by that, but he's absolutely right

I have not really had a lot of luck with getting them to work for me, in the past, but lately I have had some success with a few tips from Lee Trevino - he makes them relatable (to me anyway).

One he noted was where we put our hands on a grip (for a draw/hook or fade/slice), what he said in my example was hitting something that had to draw/hook, the way I used it was from left side and wanted to aim right and (fingers crossed) it would go left of where I aimed by flight not by straight line. Anyway, he said where I place my hands on the grip, then take my swing and my arms would return to their normal position (with the now strong grip) thus creating the left movement. It was so simple (and I am sure that I made gobbledegook out of what he was trying to say. End of story, it worked, it was east to implement on course and made very clear/easy sense to me.

At some point, your body & swing are what they are the sooner you accept that the better you'll be. Figure out what you can do & stick with that.

I love this.

This is gold. Some teaching pros are rebuilders and some are fixer-uppers.

Swing the club head to right field from my pga pro swing guru. Heard the same thing from Robert Gamez a couple years later.

That one idea saved me a ton of strokes.

A lot of amateurs take the club too far back on short shots, and then have to decelerate or the ball will go too far. I was told to not take the wedge as far back and make sure to accelerate through the shot. Has worked wonders for my short game.

Stay off YouTube, if it ain’t broke to look for something to fix, lots of ways to do it. All from Tom Watson

Trevino's "Jackass and Wagon" lesson for pitching is really good, especially for those 20 - 50 yard pitches.

Don't remember which old pro said it, but when asked what his swing thought was and/or what ours should be, he said "why does sour cream have an expiration date" and a bunch of related type one liners. Point being, stay outta your own head. Don't over complicate things. Great for a weekend hacker with a YouTube and golf forum addiction that's constantly overthinking.

i played with a guy who played d1 college golf. his family is super rich, so he just screws around on his boat all day, allegedly does commercial development deals, but basically just eats and drinks himself to an ever-growing waistline. yet he has an amazing golf iq. he hits an old blade mizuno 2-iron off the tee and shoots even par give (or take!) a few shots. every single round. it's amazing. doesn't have an f- to give, just plays the game his way. then there's me with my training aids and launch monitor and years of lessons and i have no chance to ever be what he IS, let alone what he used to be. so we're playing together and i'm struggling, steam's coming out of my ears, just a general surly attitude. he goes, "dude, you're not good enough to get mad."

i won't say i live by that, but he's absolutely right

That is a great saying! I and a buddy ran into a couple of guys like that some years ago. They were flat killing the course and we offered to let them play through, but they wanted to play up with us. This was on the 13th hole, so there was no hurry! The 13th was a dogleg right, and you had better hit your tee shot far enough to clear the pines on the right to have a shot at the green.

We teed off from the whites and had our issues with where our balls landed. Those guys hit from the tips with irons, and blasted shots well beyond our withing easy reach of the green! One of the those guys was heading heading down south to try the mini-tours, and the other guy was going to play major college golf! Yes! We were nowhere near good enough to get mad in their presence!"

Back