Best and worst TV series

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
What's your favorite TV series that you've ever completed and the one you can't believe you wasted your life watching?

Best: I'm still a fan of Friends. I can conservatively guess I've seen probably half of those episodes 20x each. I've probably seen it from start to finish at least 5x and it randomly plays in the house when we're doing other stuff and just want noise.

Worst: I cannot believe I wasted my life watching Lost. Worse ever series finale.

Lost was great. The finale gets a bad wrap but same goes for Dexter which is universally loved for the first half. The back end doesn't ruin it IMO.

Worst: Unfortunately if it was bad, I likely didn't finish it so I can't really comment on a worst.
Best: Breaking Bad

Lost was great. The finale gets a bad wrap but same goes for Dexter which is universally loved for the first half. The back end doesn't ruin it IMO.

Worst: Unfortunately if it was bad, I likely didn't finish it so I can't really comment on a worst.

That's the point, though, the writer's strung you along with a decent plot and a good show, then give you the two finger salute in the series finale. I mean, if they'd just said they were gonna screw up the finale, I'd have found something else to watch!

Deadwood may very well be my favorite series I've watched. I can always watch Cheers, though, too.

I hope I don't get sucked into the new season, but I find it unfortunate that I watched the new Lost in Space.

I think I got three episodes into Lost. I bailed when they saw the polar bear on the tropical island.

The Office, Friends, Parks and Rec, Oz and Sopranos are all up there for me.

I loved How I met your mother up until the last season where they rushed it way too fast.

I dunno, I liked that. Always like it when crazy stuff happens and you're waiting for an explanation. I don't mind off the wall explanations, time travel, etc., but the whole "they were dead all along" is just stupid.

I think I got three episodes into Lost. I bailed when they saw the polar bear on the tropical island.

Comedy favorites would be M*A*S*H and Cheers. A new one is The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Drama would be The Sopranos, The Shield and Breaking Bad.

Worst is really difficult to come up with because I wouldn't watch it past a few episodes if it was that bad.

The BEST thing about Lost was actually watching the show then going on the forums and discussing theories (like about the polar bear) and other stuff. The week to week thing worked amazing if you did this, probably fell short if you didn't. Lots of build up but it did drag on. Should have cut 1.5 seasons IMO. It certainly wouldn't work in today's era of the "release the whole season at once Netflix model". Too many unknowns that you would miss but then others would catch. Tons of easter eggs hidden.

It's a solid re-watch if none other than the best character building over a show IMO

I dunno, I liked that. Always like it when crazy stuff happens and you're waiting for an explanation. I don't mind off the wall explanations, time travel, etc., but the whole "they were dead all along" is just stupid.
Any show that does a dream or death sequence that doesn't have Patrick Duffy or Bob Newhart is forever scorned.

Spoilers. They weren't.

I agree on Friends. I still kill time watching that every once in awhile.

One of my favorite TV series was The West Wing. I thought the show had some very good actors and thought-provoking storylines.

The TV series that I can't believe I watched from beginning to end was a toss-up between Baywatch and Ghost Whisperer. Being a guy watching Baywatch was easy, it was the late 80s to 90s so I had an excuse. But, the fact that I also saw every episode of Ghost Whisperer I have no excuss. You can pull my man card. I don't know if that show even should have been on the Hallmark channel. To my surprise, Ghost Whisperer still runs reruns today.

Any show that does a dream or death sequence that doesn't have Patrick Duffy or Bob Newhart is forever scorned.

What about how Magnum PI was supposed to end and then bringing him back because the fans went nuts for one more year. ?

The BEST thing about Lost was actually watching the show then going on the forums and discussing theories (like about the polar bear) and other stuff. The week to week thing worked amazing if you did this, probably fell short if you didn't. Lots of build up but it did drag on. Should have cut 1.5 seasons IMO. It certainly wouldn't work in today's era of the "release the whole season at once Netflix model". Too many unknowns that you would miss but then others would catch. Tons of easter eggs hidden.

It's a solid re-watch if none other than the best character building over a show IMO

I mean, not much better than when they found the hatch, and Charlie's "not Penny's boat" message! I've come to like the finale more after watching it several times.

Best: Breaking bad. it is the most complete series that stayed absolutely coherent the whole time.
Worst - The River.. Just look it up. Only lasted a season.

ABC missed the boat when they could have easily had an “after show” with lost. Just going over the innuendos and quarks. Like the Talking Dead (bad show) and others have.

The purgatory explanation is even dumber.

Okay last comment

The only people who really say they hated it either say they were dead or it was purgatory, which isn't true. I doubt you would re-watch but everything on island happens. The flash sideways episodes in the later season are an alternate timeline if the plane had not crashed (purgatory/afterlife, whatever you want). They are just mixed in with the real life episodes. These simply could be skipped over in a re-watch and make it easier to follow IMO. It's not needed really for the story and just confuses people.

The finale is like the ending in Titanic where everyone is just waiting for Rose (because everyone else died and she didn't). Once Rose dies, they all reunite in whatever you choose to believe (purg/afterlife). That's only the very last part of the final episode of Lost after everyone has actually died in real life. Yeah they are all dead at that time because Hurley/Ben stayed on the island as protectors for a long time (until their death).

Either way I get the hate totally, I've had some good banter with some friends over the years. IMO a show is quality if you are still talking about or debating it even 10 years down the line.

Best: The Sopranos (The Wire & Mad Men were also very good)
Worst: Anything on the Hallmark Channel. I guess it's a series since every Hallmark movie is basically the same damn thing!!

Okay last comment

The only people who really say they hated it either say they were dead or it was purgatory, which isn't true. I doubt you would re-watch but everything on island happens. The flash sideways episodes in the later season are an alternate timeline if the plane had not crashed (purgatory/afterlife, whatever you want). They are just mixed in with the real life episodes. These simply could be skipped over in a re-watch and make it easier to follow IMO. It's not needed really for the story and just confuses people.

The finale is like the ending in Titanic where everyone is just waiting for Rose (because everyone else died and she didn't). Once Rose dies, they all reunite in whatever you choose to believe (purg/afterlife). That's only the very last part of the final episode of Lost after everyone has actually died in real life. Yeah they are all dead at that time because Hurley/Ben stayed on the island as protectors for a long time (until their death).

Either way I get the hate totally, I've had some good banter with some friends over the years. IMO a show is quality if you are still talking about or debating it even 10 years down the line.

I loved lost.. I was totally hooked. I admit being totally ticked at the last season, maybe even two. But, it has been sooo long now. I am not sure I could intelligently argue why I think it failed.

Game of thrones though.. The last season was terrible and it may have wrecked the whole show. Very annoyed at the writers/directors, about that one. Read all the books. Watched every season multiple times. The ruined the whole thing..

I loved lost.. I was totally hooked. I admit being totally ticked at the last season, maybe even two. But, it has been sooo long now. I am not sure I could intelligently argue why I think it failed.

Game of thrones though.. The last season was terrible and it may have wrecked the whole show. Very annoyed at the writers/directors, about that one. Read all the books. Watched every season multiple times. The ruined the whole thing..

I do think hyping up the WW in GOT from minute 1 of the show and ending it like that is such a huge fail and feel bad for all the diehard fans. I enjoyed it from an entertainment aspect but yes, the ending was one of me least favorites. Not sure I have ever seen a collection of writers get totally blasted this much before.

I'll date myself and say I really enjoyed shows like Gunsmoke, Wild Wild West and Bonaza when I was growing up. Still watch reruns occasionally when I'm surfing.
As for shows I really dislike it is the proliferation of hospital/fire drama shows currently on. Wife hates it that 2 minutes in I can tell her the plot and within 10 minutes get proven right.

I'll date myself and say I really enjoyed shows like Gunsmoke, Wild Wild West and Bonaza when I was growing up. Still watch reruns occasionally when I'm surfing.
As for shows I really dislike it is the proliferation of hospital/fire drama shows currently on. Wife hates it that 2 minutes in I can tell her the plot and within 10 minutes get proven right.
Rowdy Burns.. what a bad "a".

Back