Best Beginner Clubs for 14 year old

MikeF

Reaction score
Handicap
After some advice here

I am getting my lad a new set of irons

Which set should I be looking at, I want beginner clubs ideally

Would graphite shafts be best for him?

Should he take the game up properly then I will get him fit into clubs, but not at this stage

Advise me please THP

Lynx just launched a line of kids clubs called Lynx AI and they are on your side of the pond.

Hey - my son started playing at 14 as a high school freshman. He was already over 6' & 150lbs so I let him pick from my old sets. I think I bought him a putter that fit him a little better.

He played on the JV team that year and grew to 6'3". When he decided to stick with it, we went to get fitted at a local place. Not for specific clubheads/shafts just general length & lie. I found a set of used TaylorMade irons that were +3/4" and 1 degree up that were pretty much what was recommended. He played those for the next three seasons.

So I would say it depends on what size of kid you have and what the growth expectations are. My son could pretty well handle adult clubs from the get go. If your kid is still kid-sized, maybe a ladies set or senior set, even cut down a bit... Anything made in the last 10 years would be better than what was available 10 years before that.

I should have said that, adult sized clubs will be fine

It's really gonna depend on his athletic ability. If he's physically big enough for adult clubs, then that helps a bunch. Graphite might not be a necessity, but light(er) weight steel is probably a good place to start looking. Plenty of good 95 to 105 gram iron shaft out there to pick from.

Yes hes big enough for them, he already uses adult clubs, but they are not very good

I'm thinking graphite to help him out seeing as he is only starting to play

a year or so ago, I gave my grandson a set of Top Flite. Full set. Inexpensive, not bad quality. I think I found them at Dick's.

Really depends on the size of your 14 yr old.

Yes hes big enough for them, he already uses adult clubs, but they are not very good

I'm thinking graphite to help him out seeing as he is only starting to play

What kind of shaft are in the irons now? Flex? Weight?

A mixture

He has steel - Regular, Graphite - Regular and even a ladies graphite shaft

Im looking at Taylormade Burner 09 irons in either steel or graphite shafts

I bought my 15 year old his first adult irons this season. I went with Cleveland Turbo Launchers. They've been great for him - he immediately saw an obvious increase in distance, ball height and dispersion over his Ping junior irons. The other good thing with this set up is a lot of kids at this age may lack the strength / SS to really handle FW or long hybrids. The Launchers 4 hyron fills that spot naturally.

Thanks everyone,

I plumped for TaylorMade Burner 09 5-SW with Graphite shafts

He liked them when he saw them so thats half the battle won I guess :ROFLMAO:

Should be here on Thursday

At 14 I was playing blades. That game is gone, but I still strike smaller heads and narrow soles better. Some chucky monkey clubs may not hone the same better player's swing for down the road.

You know, I really liked my 2014 Big Bertha driver. Not the Alpha. The standard Big Bertha with the adjustable slider in the back. And if you can find a Cobra BioCell 3W, 5W and Hybrids, I'd highly recommend those.

Back