Best By/Sell By Dates - Do you follow them?

I treat dry goods different from anything perishable.

depends on how hungry I am and how tasty the item is.....Got a stomach like cast iron...Ha

Follow for meats and dairy for sure.

depends on how hungry I am and how tasty the item is.....Got a stomach like cast iron...Ha

So did my old man until he ate one bad mussel. Dropped him like a rock within about 40 minutes.

Milk, Yogurt, Dressings, Meats, etc. I follow them

I really get no say so in the matter. My wife tosses anything that the date is passed on. :mad: She is convinced that means it’s bad.

Is it weird that I am scared you thought this through :ROFLMAO:

So, I think we now know why @JB can always be found on the forum. It's not about insuring decorum on the site, or answering questions, it's just to maintain that public visibility to twart @GolferGal's potential plot. :LOL::LOL:

Depends on the food. Some of the best cheese I ever ate was found in an old local cheese factory when I lived in Wisconsin. It had been there 15 years and they sold it at a local meat market for $30 a pound and it was worth ever penny.

It depends on the food, some things I will allow a few days or so, but there are other things that I am wary of if they are within a day of the date

All down to having had a bout of gastroenteritis years ago and since then I have been wary of some food

For me, the answer is a definite yes.
I don't buy milk, but I do buy half-and-half for my coffee, and I won't buy it unless there's lots of cushion between the actual buy date and the sell by date.

As an aside, I only put half-and-half in my morning coffee.
It's Sambuca in my after dinner coffee, and I don't think there's a sell-by date on the bottle.

When we moved out of our apartment and into our first house, my brother and mom made fun of us because we had a nice collection of 9 sour creams. They were way past the sell by date. How can it go bad if it is called sour cream? :LOL:

I’m more of a “let’s see what happens if I eat this” kinda of guy. Yes I know it’s sorta gross but if it’s bad, I’ll tell ya and won’t continue to eat or drink it. That’s my test :LOL:

Well, what if an apocalypse comes? @JB

I generally toss them if it’s past the date. But I’m not afraid to eat it if it passes the smell and taste test. Milk is generally fine if it smells good.

I’ve had beer 10 months past the “best by” date and it was fine too. Good to know in case an apocalypse comes :)

Milk, eggs, meat, etc.... I am strict on it. Most other things are not really such a huge deal in my opinion.

I can’t get it in my head to eat anything past these dates. I’m sure it’s fine, but I pass every time.

Chips never go bad. They just get stale. They have too much salt to go bad. If they weren't opened they're not even stale.

Me? I'll taste it and if it's ok, I'll eat it.

The Mrs? No chance, it could be a week before the date and she won't touch it.

Back