Best Comic Book Movies BEFORE Marvel Ruined Everything.

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
What are your favorite comic book movies from the dawn of time to the early 2000s, before it all got carried away into the giant marketing machine it is today?

***I would say the modern era begins with Iron Man, but Batman Begins, really, made comic book movies bankable again, so let's say anything before the Dark Knight Trilogy.***

Batman - 1988.

First ones that come to mind:

Batman (1989)
Superman (1977)
Blade
Dick Tracy (comic, but not comic book)
RIchie Rich

The original Tobey McGuire Spider-Man movie is one of my favorites. Didn’t like the sequels as much. Does that qualify with the timeline?

Batman & Blade

Wish they could get The Punisher right for once

Spiderman 2 is probably my favorite from this time frame
Then I'd go Batman, Blade, Spawn, Spiderman

Probably the early 80s Conan movies with Arnold. I don't know if they hold up today, but very nostalgic growing up in that era.

The original Tobey McGuire Spider-Man movie is one of my favorites. Didn’t like the sequels as much. Does that qualify with the timeline?
i actually liked #2...doc oct

batman
spawn
spidey 1 and 2
superman

1970's Superman 1 and 2
Dick Tracy
Blade
Early 2000's Spider-Man
The first X-Men
The first Fantastic Four

Marvel didn't ruin a thing. I read Captain America back in the 60's.....yes I am old. I remember when they introduced Black Panther. I think Batman 1998 but things evolved to a far better group of movies.

Yes definitely. Both 1 & 2 were pretty good. 3 was hot garbage.
The perfect trilogy would have had Harry turn into the hobgoblin and fight Spiderman with some MJ drama in part 3. I have no idea how they screwed that up. I could have put a better story together than what they made with part 3 there.

Also Spiderman 1 and Spiderman 2 are my favorite pre Dark Knight trilogy. They absolutely nailed Spiderman and he is my favorite comic book character.

If Flash Gordon isn't on your list somewhere, we can't be friends. Big fans of Blade and Spawn. Original Batman was good to as it captured a nice balance between campy TV-series Batman and darker comic batman.

Batman & Blade

Wish they could get The Punisher right for once
Batman and Blade were the first two that popped in to my head. Batman is one of those that any time it's on I'm watching.

The Michael Keaton Batman movies were great. I wore out the VHS of the first movie when I was in 3rd grade, and had the movie soundtrack on cassette tape. The Val Kilmer Batman was ok but not great. George Clooney....:sick:(n):poop::poop::poop:

The Michael Keaton Batman movies were great. I wore out the VHS of the first movie when I was in 3rd grade, and had the movie soundtrack on cassette tape. The Val Kilmer Batman was ok but not great. George Clooney....:sick:(n):poop::poop::poop:
haha, I wore out my VHS as well. I watched it every day for at least a year. Also owned sound track AND score on cassette.

I actually like the Marvel movies.

But, before they kicked in the best of all comic books was The Batman trilogy by Christopher Nolan and The Dark Knight is probably not only the best Comic movie, but in general maybe a top 15 movie all time.

Other movies I really liked at the time they were made:

Batman with M. Keaton
Sider-Man with T. Maguire
and my favorites
Superman and Superman II with C. Reeves

Honorable mention
Man of Steal
Wonderwoman

I think the worst is He-Man with Dolph is the worst. DC comics did make a run so I include it. As a Kid I was like what is this and that ending had me 🤮

Blade would get top billing from me. In fact just watched it again last week.

I'd say Blade. That was awesome.
Blade 2 - much less awesome.
Blade 3 - even less awesome.

I must be getting old. I can't make heads or tails of the Batman or Spiderman universes now... there have been so many reboots, offshoots, twists and turns that I don't know what's what. I've never been a Spiderman fan but thought the Toby McGuire one was good. The rest? Yeah, not so much.:cautious:

Back