Best country club for "Young Executive" in Charlotte, NC?

There have been some changes. I have a fairly detailed Excel file, I'll message you.

Moving to Charlotte as well in August and am currently looking into clubs to join. If you could send me this excel that would be much appreciated.

I hope you all find clubs that work for you. I've been in Charlotte since 1977 and it has really changed in those 44 years. I joined Myers Park in '83 after spending 5 years at Carolina. In my opinion Carolina is the third best course in Charlotte with Quail Hollow and Charlotte CC being first and second. If I didn't live so close (less than a mile) to MPCC and didn't have senior dues, I would be back at Carolina Golf Club. All the other courses mentioned here are good, but some are very expensive and many have waiting lists. I'm hoping my son will join Cedarwood in the next few years. It's reasonably priced and is a great course to walk when one plays. I like Rock Hill CC too. A former customer of mine was a member there and I played it many times back in the 2000s. Like everyone else, I'd be interested in your Excel file. I've kind of lost touch with what these clubs cost these days.

I would love a copy of the spreadsheet as well. I’m in Charlotte, near Matthews. Are there any particular clubs that are a little more on the progressive side and not too snooty old school country club?

Fun reading along this thread. I was only a kid, but we lived in Charlotte and Weddington.

@BL

I'd love to play with her! I'm not great, but I love to play and I'm getting better. :) What is the vibe at Rock Hill? I'm trying to find a club that has a good mix of singles and not just families...which is tough around here.

Thanks!
Hey @missmelissa ! I’m in the same boat trying to find a club with a good mix and female golfers! What did you narrow your list down to? And did you ever receive that excel list mentioned in this forum?

This thread is interesting to me since I've lived in Charlotte since 1977. As before mentioned, I've been a member at Myers Park CC since 1983. It's a pretty good club, but I probably would not join there today. It's incredibly expensive and there are some better options available in or around the city. For me all of the positives are personal. I live less than a mile from the first tee, I now have senior dues, over the years I've developed many golf buddies there and our superintendent and his staff keep the course in immaculate condition. The negatives for me are the course layout or design (which has changed dramatically since I joined) is just OK, getting tee times is very difficult, the main focus at the club is no longer golf and every five or so years they close the clubhouse and/or the course to make "improvements". If I were in my 30s or 40s and could afford it I would join Carmel Country Club. Carolina Golf Club is a great option too.

Lived in Charlotte since 1983.Been a member at both Providence CC and Firethorne which is in Waxhaw. Loved Providence but assume membership is a bit older or perhaps in transition. If you have a family you should take a look.
I echo that Carmel is #1 but I know there is a lengthy waiting list. If you're looking for just a golf club go to Carolina which is near uptown or Cedarwood which is in South Charlotte but has a golf club versus country club kind of vibe.

Here is a link from Axios of top club and how much at each.

Carolina just raised their initiation to 40k from 30k, and the waitlist is close to three years I believe.

Lived in Charlotte since 1983.Been a member at both Providence CC and Firethorne which is in Waxhaw. Loved Providence but assume membership is a bit older or perhaps in transition. If you have a family you should take a look.
I echo that Carmel is #1 but I know there is a lengthy waiting list. If you're looking for just a golf club go to Carolina which is near uptown or Cedarwood which is in South Charlotte but has a golf club versus country club kind of vibe.

Here is a link from Axios of top club and how much at each.

Totally agree. I should have mentioned Cedarwood. I check on them every time MPCC shuts down. I'm hoping my son will join there in the future.
How are things at Firethorn? I really like that course even though it's very challenging. I don't think I've ever broken 80 there.

My wife and I are 30 and recently had a baby. We’re looking for a club that is very family-oriented with events and the members. Pretty avid golfer myself and my wife grew up taking lessons and would love to get back into it. We are looking in South Charlotte. I would love the spreadsheet if you don’t mind sending to me! And I welcome any and all suggestions advice. Thanks!

It all depends on how much you want to pay. If you can afford it, I recommend Carmel Country Club. If you are on a budget Cedarwood or Firethorn are great clubs.
I'm a senior member at Myers Park and have been there for thirty eight years. I doubt I'll ever leave, but would be interested in seeing the aforementioned spread sheet just in case.

It all depends on how much you want to pay. If you can afford it, I recommend Carmel Country Club. If you are on a budget Cedarwood or Firethorn are great clubs.
I'm a senior member at Myers Park and have been there for thirty eight years. I doubt I'll ever leave, but would be interested in seeing the aforementioned spread sheet just in case.
Should have put in price range in my initial post, thanks for pointing that out. Carmel is outside of the "budget." After my initial research, I was thinking something like TPC Piper Glen, Raintree, Providence, or Firethorn. Something with a reasonable Young Professional rate - probably less than $20k for initiation fee and anywhere from $300-600 for monthly.

This is also probably a stupid question, but I'm assuming that there are no greens fees to play each round at these clubs? Back where I grew up, you'd have a monthly fee, but you'd have to pay a cart fee for every round you played. Is that common here too?

Should have put in price range in my initial post, thanks for pointing that out. Carmel is outside of the "budget." After my initial research, I was thinking something like TPC Piper Glen, Raintree, Providence, or Firethorn. Something with a reasonable Young Professional rate - probably less than $20k for initiation fee and anywhere from $300-600 for monthly.

This is also probably a stupid question, but I'm assuming that there are no greens fees to play each round at these clubs? Back where I grew up, you'd have a monthly fee, but you'd have to pay a cart fee for every round you played. Is that common here too?
Yes. You will have to pay a cart fee for each round unless you walk. Except when it was really hot, I used to walk and carry when I was younger. Cedarwood is a great course to walk. Also, some clubs have pull/push trolley for a nominal fee.

There have been some changes. I have a fairly detailed Excel file, I'll message you.

@SHOWBOAT12 I am relocating from Houston, TX to Charlotte for work at the end of this month and am in the same situation you were. This thread has been super helpful. Would you mind sending me the excel sheet you compiled so I can try and figure out the best course fit for me?

@SHOWBOAT12 I am relocating from Houston, TX to Charlotte for work at the end of this month and am in the same situation you were. This thread has been super helpful. Would you mind sending me the excel sheet you compiled so I can try and figure out the best course fit for me?
Hey man. I recommend checking out Charles T. Myers when you get here. Fantastic condition currently. I play it 3x a week right now. Would be happy to get a round in when you move. @mlmaurer17

FYI, heard Cedarwood waitlist is up to about 80. Initiation is now 25k for one payment or split into two 15k payments.

Yes. You will have to pay a cart fee for each round unless you walk. Except when it was really hot, I used to walk and carry when I was younger. Cedarwood is a great course to walk. Also, some clubs have pull/push trolley for a nominal fee.
Hello, I’m new to Charlotte and also looking for a golf club. How would you rate Cedarwood vs. Carolina? And Myers Park vs Carmel? Thank you.

Hello, I’m new to Charlotte and also looking for a golf club. How would you rate Cedarwood vs. Carolina? And Myers Park vs Carmel? Thank you.
Depends on what you are looking for… Myers Park and Carmel are more of a true country club while Cedarwood and Carolina are more golf focused but still have a ton of other amenities.

Hello Everyone, Not to ask for a 20th time but we are new to the northside of Charlotte and are looking for a club. We have 2 younger kids and I am under 40. Would love the excel sheet and any thoughts. Peninsula Club and River Run are close to our house but we are open.

It’s very outdated at this point — many changes due to demand over the past couple of years. Not sure the file is useful any longer.

Hello Everyone, Not to ask for a 20th time but we are new to the northside of Charlotte and are looking for a club. We have 2 younger kids and I am under 40. Would love the excel sheet and any thoughts. Peninsula Club and River Run are close to our house but we are open.
@e1iterate may have a recommendation for you.

Im not as familiar with the North side of Charlotte. The Palisades is on the south side and has a hood under 40 deal. Hit me up if you want to check it out.

Thanks for the tag @Ludin

Bumping this again.. new to Charlotte and would love this information if you still have it!

@all, if anyone has anything they can share about their experience, I live in uptown Charlotte and am dying to join somewhere w/in a 30ish min drive.

Thanks all

Back