Best Course Within 100 Miles

Pebble Beach.
No I haven’t played it and I’m sure I don’t need to convince anyone. ;)

I'm not sure it's my tops for Columbus though. Up there with Northstar mostly because I've got some fun rounds there.

Tops is probably Tartan Fields. Palmer design, they had the bagpipes going, and the visuals are excellent!
Also giving a hat tip to Heritage. Very fun.

....and actively wishing I could talk about Muirfield lmao
Love my part time job at Tartan which allows me to play there.

I'm a few miles down the road from Tour-18 and it's always a fun course with iconic holes you would recognize. We've got the Golf Club of Houston where they've been playing the Houston Open recently; that's a great course. We've got Wedgewood in Conroe if you're looking to shoot over 90. So many to choose from honestly.

The Island course of Kingwood is one where you couldn't go wrong though. Tough and beautiful!

Pasatiempo. Gorgeous course with rolling hills and fast greens - well...when I played, they rolled really fast. Plus the wind in the early AM. It definitely was a challenge.
often times called the Augusta of the west! great looking course!

There are a lot of very nice courses in Northern Michigan and a couple top 100's, but I'm going with Caberfae Peaks - my 9 hole home course. If for no other reason, I'm curious how challenging it might be for a good player.

It's one of the most difficult I've played. The course is well-maintained with bent grass fairways and greens. It's not a goat track nor is it a high-end resort. It's just very wild and rural. There are some homes around the resort, but you're basically in the middle of the Manistee National Forest. While I've yet to hear banjo music, I try not to wander too far into the woods for errant shots :cautious:.

About the course... lots of marsh areas and ravines to carry, lots of thick old growth forest to avoid hitting into, some slight but deceptive terrain changes, and a unique course layout. When played through twice, the course is 6670 yards from the tips (73.0/138). Most of the fairways are wide enough, the greens are small, not terribly difficult to read and usually kept at medium speed. A couple of them have very little room for a miss.

If you're ever in Northern Michigan you'd likely prefer Grand Traverse Resort, Arcadia Bluffs, or Crystal Mountain - all of which are beautiful courses. Suggesting this one might seem like a joke, but I'm serious. And I'd pay your green and cart fees to play 18 here.

Hole3.jpg
Hole6.jpg

Here's a drone fly-over of each hole...

View attachment 8941512

Pumpkin is pretty universally regarded as the top course in the Portland area. It is an upscale quality facility. Pumpkin has hosted two Women’s US opens, an LPGA event for four years, is the current home to the season finale of the web.com tour and was the site of Tiger’s 3rd US Amateur win. I love walking through the clubhouse and seeing pictures and memorabilia.

I have played the private side once and the public side several times. Both courses are parkland layouts with excellent designs that offer a diverse and interesting design. Even though the course is 20 miles west of Portland it is in an area of farmland. That helps create and more serene and scenic experience when playing.

I've played the public side maybe three or four times. It doesn't drain very well in the winter, but it sure is a memorable layout. Not unreasonably priced, either. It's outside 100 miles for me - pretty much the same distance away as Bandon Dunes. If given the option, I'm going to Bandon!

I've played the public side maybe three or four times. It doesn't drain very well in the winter, but it sure is a memorable layout. Not unreasonably priced, either. It's outside 100 miles for me - pretty much the same distance away as Bandon Dunes. If given the option, I'm going to Bandon!
I played the private side this winter. It drained much better. Not sure if that side has better drainage or if they’ve improved drainage overall.

Many great coursed within 100 miles of where I live.

Oak Tree National - I have played there and it is an amazing course. You HAVE to know where to hit your shots off of the tee and hit those spots, otherwise you can get into a lot of trouble on your approach shots. Impeccable condition and fast greens, lots of trees.

Southern Hills - I have played there and it too is an amazing course. To me Southern Hills is a classic golf course that rewards hitting the ball well and punishes hitting the ball poorly. Not a lot of quirks to the course, it is pretty transparent and playable. The roughs are a challenge for sure and the greens are fast and rolling which can lead to a lot of three putts.

The Patriot - I have played there and it is probably the most beautiful course I have played in Oklahoma with a lot of hills and valleys. I played a scramble there so I cannot attest to the difficulty of the course but it is gorgeous. It is situated on the same site as "The Folds of Honor" which is an awesome foundation that provides scholarships to the families of fallen and wounded soldiers.

The Territory is a beautiful course in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. I played it at the end of last season and it was in fantastic condition. The layout is challenging and the property itself is very pretty.

Karsten Creek is the one on this list that I have not played but hope to this season. The home of Oklahoma State University's golf team, Karsten Creek is beautiful (been there but not played it) and all accounts indicate it is very challenging. It is located outside of Stillwater and there are only a few homes there including one I am told is owned by Matt Wolfe and Viktor Hovaland.

The easy answer is Muifield Village. You’re probably good enough to play it too. It is by far the nicest course I’ve played. It’s green complexes are incredibly difficult and it’s also target golf. I was a highly competent golfer when I played it and I didn’t have much fun. You have to be in the right place on every shot to really have any chance.

So I’m going with Firestone North. Played it in the THP Bridgestone Championship last summer. It’s as fun of a course as you’re likely to ever play. Second nicest I’ve stepped foot on. It’s beauty doesn’t compete with Muirfield, but it’s very nice. Lots and lots of water but mostly generous landing areas. I wouldn’t want to play the back tees but from 7000 in I think it’s very manageable. Particularly for someone as skilled as you. It’s challenging but very fair. I could see you posting a very good score there.

Fowler’s Mill up in Geagua County. This track is like nothing else in Ohio. Really doesn’t feel like you’re in Ohio when playing, each hole is super private, it is lush with really unique holes. Only played it a couple times, and really need to change that.

View attachment 8941461

My son would disagree with you, lol. They had their sectionals there for HS golf and he posted his worst score of the year. I was in the hospital at the time so I missed it. He did say the course was really nice though.

My son would disagree with you, lol. They had their sectionals there for HS golf and he posted his worst score of the year. I was in the hospital at the time so I missed it. He did say the course was really nice though.

Well, him and I share that common trait of playing poorly there lol.

You have a choice:

CHAMBERS BAY in University Place
1589140810370.png

SNOQUALMIE RIDGE (where they play the Champion's Tour Boeing Classic)1589140680357.png

WINE VALLEY GOLF CLUB - WALLA WALLA:
1589140440538.png

SALISH CLIFFS in Shelton
1589140371998.png

THE HOME COURSE - Dupont
1589140993537.png

forget 100 miles, how about 30 miles away from my town: Shinnecock Hills, National Golf Links of America, Bethpage Black, Fishers Island Golf Course, Friars Head, Sebonack, Garden City Mens Club, Maidstone, Atlantic, you could also add, Montauk Downs 50 miles, and Deepdale GC. So many great courses on Long Island.

In my neck of the woods, I really enjoy my rounds at North Hampton as well as and The King and the Bear.
The first is 40 minutes north of me and the latter 40 minutes south.

North Hampton:
images

Why ^ -
It's the only "links-style" course around this area and it's always a refreshing change compared to area courses. A few potentially semi-blind or blind tee shots as well depending on your intended line to the green/creativity.

-----------------------------------------
King & Bear (World Golf Village)
images

Why ^
It's part of the WGV, the facility is amazing, and it's a mashup of Palmer and Nicklaus designs. Never had a bad time there.

Last edited:
Well, actually there are several but getting on may pose some difficulties.
Galloway National in Galloway Twp
Squires Golf club Montgomery county PA
ACE club Layfette Hill PA
why:
Galloway is an incredible course. It from Reeds bay, overlooking Atlantic City. Very exclusive, every caddy is from Pine Valley. Dick Smith was one of the founders. Look him up
Squires - men only , that’s right ultra private, 125 members and about 40 play golf. Maybe 65 rounds a week in the busy period. No rules. Drive right up to the green, drive into the tee box. 1/2 way house is whatever you want. I mean anything. Caviar, to burgers. Look this place up
ACE-Gary player club. Cut from old mill area. Elevation changes galore. Beautiful course, the locker room is amazing. Practice facility is second to none. Greens are lighting fast!

Just outside of the 100 miles driving for us, but I really enjoyed my round there a few years ago.

Inside of 100 miles driving for me, there are lots of great choices.

A local Ross design I am partial to is Manakiki.

I know that @Canadan loves Boulder Creek. Great layout, but I can't stand the pace there.

The best that I get to play occasionally would be Firestone (all three). South is so hard, North is near with a lot of water, West I have played the best.

But the beat course that I can get on as a public golfer is Fowlers Mill. It is a Pete Dye design that is always in great shape, and really makes you think your way around the course.

I LOVE Manakiki !!! that would be my personal favorite.
But to answer the question of Best courses IMHO it would have to be:
Boulder
Fowlers Manakiki
There are 2 more within the 100 mile radius that I have not had the chance to play that would quickly be on the list, Firestone and Old Stone Wall.

Well, actually there are several but getting on may pose some difficulties.
Galloway National in Galloway Twp
Squires Golf club Montgomery county PA
ACE club Layfette Hill PA
why:
Galloway is an incredible course. It from Reeds bay, overlooking Atlantic City. Very exclusive, every caddy is from Pine Valley. Dick Smith was one of the founders. Look him up
Squires - men only , that’s right ultra private, 125 members and about 40 play golf. Maybe 65 rounds a week in the busy period. No rules. Drive right up to the green, drive into the tee box. 1/2 way house is whatever you want. I mean anything. Caviar, to burgers. Look this place up
ACE-Gary player club. Cut from old mill area. Elevation changes galore. Beautiful course, the locker room is amazing. Practice facility is second to none. Greens are lighting fast!
In the AC area I loved Atlantic City Country Club. Great history, cool clubhouse, and the Tom Doak renovation and his new holes along the marshes are excellent.

I've got to stop being cheap... there are probably some nice courses around my but I haven't played them... because I'm cheap.:(

Back