Best decisions you've made in your life?

I've done some things in my life that might be considered remarkable, but really I've always been a big goof off, only really good at being a smart Alec. The best decision I ever made was in giving my heart to my Lord and savior Jesus Christ. The second best was becoming a father, and now a grandfather. I have enjoyed my kids immensely. They never gave me any any real grief , and are all decent, conscientious, people to this day. After that, but no less important, was that after many years in a bad marriage that ended in divorce ( did everything I knew to do and then some to try and make it work) I decided to just pray only for the Lord to bring someone in to my life that He would choose for me, not doing anything myself to look for someone in any way. Well, He did and I couldn't be happier or more blessed, relationship wise.

As I am only almost 20, I will say so far.

So far, these are my top 3

1. Choosing God first to rule over my life
2. Meeting and continuing to date my girlfriend and hopefully future wife
3. Choosing the school of my dreams and loving every minute of it

Golf related would be to not take being cut from the college baseball team as a chance to do nothing, but to pick up golf with even more gusto than before. After that, it would have to be beginning to take lessons. After just 4 weeks, I went from a 15 handicap to a 7

Fantastic post.

Sort of off topic, but I love reading about happy marriages and committed people in here.

Seems like every guy I work with or run into is either divorced, hates their wife, or both.

The reason everyone here see so happily married/involved, if you've been to any THP event where spouses come, up you'll see right away, every single THP'er married up.

Well except for KellyBo and Lee :)

My son no questions asked, without him I would be in a bad place. He gives me reason to strive to be a better person, grow each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best decision of my life was made in 2005. I had my first colonoscopy and it saved my life. The doc found 2 separate stage 3 cancer tumors that would have killed me in 4-6 months. It was a fluke that I had the scope. I was in for an annual physical and had no symptoms at the time. My doc suggested getting it done and after a couple of months of procrastination due to stupid fear, I did it. Had I not got the scope, there would have been nothing they could have done for me when and if any symptoms showed up.

Second best decision was agreeing to meet a bunch of people IRL that I had been chatting with in a Yahoo chat room. One of the gals in the chat room brought her sister to the meeting as a wingwoman. I was able to convince the sister to go on a date and then convinced her 6 years later to marry me. Thank you Yahoo!

Best golf decision - Joining THP

I see I have some brother in Christ so I will highlight that for myself as well. In August 2007 I was saved along with my wife. At a very hard time for me, it was an absolutely amazing calling. I can't say it was my decision because I think the Lord calls his flock to him but I'm so glad to be saved.

My second would definitely be my two amazing boys, Aidan (10yrs) and Camden (2yrs). Again, they are a blessing bestowed upon me but they light up my life.

I would add my wife in but I think she chose me, not the other way around, so again, I'm luckily blessed.

On a less spiritual focus, deciding to buy my first home the same month I got married 16 years ago has been a financial blessing which has allowed me to have my current home paid off in 2010. It is a great feeling of security to have no debt. Some would say I'm crazy to not have a mortgage with such low interest rates but I love having very low overhead.

Best golf decision, when I first started playing, a co-worker was the son of a PGA Pro and a great player and we would play 9 holes at 6am 2-3 x per week and allowing him to work with me for over a year made a massive improvement in my game. I'm so grateful for his guidance.

Agreeing to go on a blind date with a girl my cousin knew, 14 years later we are married with two kids.

Buying my Grandparents house from my parents and now we have spent plenty of $$$ on it renovating. Hopefully our kids will keep it in the family when we pass.

Getting back into golf after about 10 or so years and loving it more than before, also getting to single digits which I always dreamed of but never thought possible, currently a 7.

Learning to swim because I was afraid of the water, then saving my cousin from drowning in a lake, pulling a stranger out from the bottom at Huntington Beach, pulling a stupid college girl out from storm waves that looked like they were in a washing machine even though I told her not to go in. Saved my sister from choking to death all before I was 21.
Riding in back of the quad 50's but in front of the twin 40s during a convoy on Hwy 1.
Picking the right girl from the 5 I was dating at the same time, we will be married 40 years this year.
Staying sober for 40 years, there are no co-inky-dinks.
Golf-quit being arrogant and took golf lessons, went from a 14 to a 3 in a year, then broke 70.
Started my own business so I can say I am" President for life" when I get calls.

Taking a year off work in my late 20's to golf and ski. I had been pushing so hard all my life and was geared completely wrong. I gained a lot of useful perspective about how to approach life with more than just security in focus.

Best decision of my life..marrying my awesome wife 28 years ago. That amazing woman has been by my side no matter what I'm doing and helped me keep my sanity when I lost both of my parents 6 months apart.

Best golf...Getting back to playing after a few years lay off and joining THP. I haven't been to and THP event yet ( work has had a big part in that ) but hope to make at least one by the end of the year.

The best decision I have ever made was around 17 years ago when we decided to stop practicing birth control and let nature dictate if e were ready to be parents. Turns out we were ready. Could not be more proud of my 16 year old son.

The best decision of my life was made in 2005. I had my first colonoscopy and it saved my life. The doc found 2 separate stage 3 cancer tumors that would have killed me in 4-6 months. It was a fluke that I had the scope. I was in for an annual physical and had no symptoms at the time. My doc suggested getting it done and after a couple of months of procrastination due to stupid fear, I did it. Had I not got the scope, there would have been nothing they could have done for me when and if any symptoms showed up.

Similar happened with a friend of mine. His wife went in for a colonoscopy and unbeknownst to my buddy, when she scheduled hers she also scheduled one for him a week later.

He rebelled but she won as wives often do. He was also found to have two tumors, surgery was immediate. Similarly, had he not had the colonoscopy and the surgery, they said that he wouldn't have made it through the year.

My aunt's mom was diligent with all tests, exams, and follow-ups. But the one procedure that she shied away from as it's so intrusive was the colonoscopy. She died of colon cancer.

Same with my former commanding officer. He couldn't reconcile with himself the details of the procedure, that apprehension killed him.

Sorry to jump off track in this thread but it really is a simple procedure. I've had two colonoscopies now since my bout with diverticulitis. Once you convince yourself that it's necessary, there's nothing to it at all. It takes years for polyps to metastasize, early detection is key and painless.

To anyone on the fence, just do it.

Accepting the invitation for a weekend of wakeboarding and houseboating. Turns out I met my wife on that journey to Lake Oroville.

Deciding to stick with financial planning and purchasing my practice. Cha-ching!

Marrying my wife is mine. My absolute best friend.

The other is just picking up the game of golf. It has led to so many awesome memories and given me a ton of time to spend with my dad and led me to this place

love seeing how many people are mentioning their faith here. i wasn't sure if that was ok, and like AZRhode mentioned, i can't take credit for mine. i'm in a little bit of a spiritual slump right now, but looking forward to moving back toward Him and re-committing.

Joining the military 5 years ago. It's made me a completely different person and opened up so many opportunities career wise. I transition out in 5 months but I'll never forget how much those 5.5 years helped me. Second is marrying my wife, we've only been married for a year now and have our good & bad days, but she's always there and keeps me headed in the right direction, something that I definitely need to keep my life headed in the right direction.

Golf wise is by far finding this community. Every time I pick up a new hobby the first thing I do is search for a good forum, and this is the best I've ever been a part of.

Getting married the first time, even thought in ended in divorce, it ended up with me having 2 great boys!

Giving match.com one more try after I was just about done with the whole thing

Leaving my last job to work for my current employer

Finally picking up golf at 37 after my dad had been after me since I was young to play

Getting on THP - had a ton of fun here and at the outings - looking forward to more!

1). 17 great years with my late wife. Clearly the best 17 years of my life.
2). Eventually remarrying, after 12 years as a widower. After vowing not to remarry, having a compatible companion to share these later years in life is, without a doubt... priceless.
3). My Marine Corps career. Few things in life were as rewarding as serving my country, and the Marine Corps was good to me and good for me. Even as a retired Marine I remain a part of that family.
4). Adding golf to my regular activities. Golf has impacted my life social and physically. I expect it will continue for years to come.
5). Joining RWB (Red, White, Blue)... a veterans social and physical activity organization. If you don't have your health, life can be a struggle. Even as I turned 70 last month, these folks keep me running 5Ks, hiking tall mountains, cycling for mile and miles every week, and playing golf.

A decision I made that I sometimes question is agreeing to participate in a 60 mile Ruck, in May (Harpers Vally, WVA to Arlington National Cemetery). Alas, what's done is done. I will show up and I will complete the mission.

This one is easy for me. 25 years ago I decided "the bottle" wasn't for me. Everything else I have in life, that is good is because of this. I should say the worst decision was to quit my high school's golf team just before the season started my senior year. It took me 25 years to get back into the game.

Second best decision was agreeing to meet a bunch of people IRL that I had been chatting with in a Yahoo chat room. One of the gals in the chat room brought her sister to the meeting as a wingwoman. I was able to convince the sister to go on a date and then convinced her 6 years later to marry me. Thank you Yahoo!

Best golf decision - Joining THP

I encourage everyone to take heed to these posts. Polyps are common and can take a turn for the worst. I had three removed, and continue to have a colonoscopy every 5 years.

1). Figuring out that my Dad actually knew what he was talking about and deciding that it was more than worth paying attention to him.

2). Making a college decision while mourning and it turned out to be one of the best decisions I have made. Met a group of friends the first day I was there and 20 years later I consider them not friends, buts brothers.

3). Listening my doctor when she said, "I think you need to go for a sleep test".

4). Listening to my shoulder begging me to stop playing softball and deciding to give golf a real shot.

5). Taking a shot on a job in Indianapolis and having it introduce me to someone who has quickly become my best friend.

6). Listening to a six4three5 when he insisted that we go play in the THP Invitational at Lyman Orchards.

1). Figuring out that my Dad actually knew what he was talking about and deciding that it was more than worth paying attention to him.

2). Making a college decision while mourning and it turned out to be one of the best decisions I have made. Met a group of friends the first day I was there and 20 years later I consider them not friends, buts brothers.

3). Listening my doctor when she said, "I think you need to go for a sleep test".

4). Listening to my shoulder begging me to stop playing softball and deciding to give golf a real shot.

5). Taking a shot on a job in Indianapolis and having it introduce me to someone who has quickly become my best friend.

6). Listening to a six4three5 when he insisted that we go play in the THP Invitational at Lyman Orchards.

Lots of good stuff in that post, but I bet if we're being honest, a lot of us would agree with No. 1 !!

Lots of good stuff in that post, but I bet if we're being honest, a lot of us would agree with No. 1 !!
That my Dad knows what he is talking about? ;-)

You are right though. Coaching for a few years gave me such a unique perspective of watching kids fight everything we told them, only for them to admit later we were right. Helped me realize how stubborn I was as a teenager.

The best decision by far was asking this brutally stubborn Irish girl to marry me. Thankfully, 38 years later she hasn't changed!

I have 2 in chronological order.
1. Enlisting in the USAF in 1965
2. Marrying my wife. Today is our 45th anniversary.

Back