Best Drip Coffee Maker

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I am kind of over the burnt Keurig coffee deal, and am starting to realize I prefer drip coffee. So, with that said if you are a drip coffee machine owner, what is your favorite?

I am not looking for a a regular run of the mill machine, I want something that makes a really good cup of coffee. It doesn't need bells and whistles either, it just needs to make a really good cup of coffee.

I brew coffee for 1 so I've got a real simple 4 cup drip Mr. Coffee. Inexpensive and easy to operate. For me, with a drip maker it's more about the quality of the coffee you use, and keeping your beans vacuum sealed. I grind enough beans for a pot or two at a time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Literally any drip coffee maker is better than a Keurig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Tim Hortons one made by Bunn and it’s excelent. The biggest difference it the hot water reservoir so the coffe isn’t made with cold water then heated up. It will drip hot water onto the coffee before it hits the pot. When poured imediatly you don’t have to turn on the burner.

I am kind of over the burnt Keurig coffee deal, and am starting to realize I prefer drip coffee. So, with that said if you are a drip coffee machine owner, what is your favorite?

I am not looking for a a regular run of the mill machine, I want something that makes a really good cup of coffee. It doesn't need bells and whistles either, it just needs to make a really good cup of coffee.

The number one factor to a good cup of coffee is the quality/flavor of the beans.
For actually brewing the coffee I don't think there is much difference from one machine to the next, but the bad boy linked below sure looks professional:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bu...MIpa3k1MPG3wIVE8ZkCh3mvwsdEAQYASABEgJnTfD_BwE

200 Amazon reviews of the bad boy Bunn:
https://www.amazon.com/13300-0001-VP17-1SS-Pourover-Coffee-Stainless/dp/B0000DIWZC#customerReviews

For me, with a drip maker it's more about the quality of the coffee you use, and keeping your beans vacuum sealed. I grind enough beans for a pot or two at a time.

Good quality beans, filtered/demineralized water, and fastidious cleanliness are all required for the best coffee, IMO.

Literally any drip coffee maker is better than a Keurig.

Agree with this statement. I've had success with Mr. Coffee, Bunn, Krups, and Cuisinart.

We followed the Wirecutter's recommendation at the time (A Cuisinart) and have been really happy with it.

We've had our Cuisnart for about ten years and it just keeps making great coffee. I like the small pot cycle and the heating plate temperatuure adjustability. We've come close to buying a backup at going out of business sales.

It's funny - my kids have Keurigs. They make decent coffee. We have them at work, and they make decent coffee. When we had ours at home, it couldn't make a drinkable cup of anything. But mjkladis is right - all other things being equal, drip coffee is way better than Keurig coffee.

Best Drip Coffee Maker

At my office we use the Bonavita BV1900 which has been a workhorse and makes great coffee, especially if you like a stronger brew. Read the reviews and see if some of the downsides are things that would bother you. It’s been going strong for two years, but does need to be descaled per the suggested instructions.

That said, I have started just using a single serving French press at home. I can control the grind, the soak and the water temperature and dial in my coffee without the unnecessary hassle of a pour over and without the complicated mess of the Areopress.

Last edited:
We've been using a Bonavita BV1900 for past couple of years at home and I am pleased with the coffee it brews. I did a lot of research and this make/model got good reviews for my price range.

A Cusinart with the SS carafe to keep the coffee hot and not the hot plate which comes with the glass carafe. Hot plate burns the coffee.

A Cusinart with the SS carafe to keep the coffee hot and not the hot plate which comes with the glass carafe. Hot plate burns the coffee.

The hot plate has the potential to burn the coffee if left at temperature too long, I agree. I pour my day's ration into a stainless double insulated mug, so I do not have that problem.

That's why Dunkin throws out any coffee remaining 18 minutes after it's brewed. My daughter worked at one in her youth (it was the only fast food restaurant I would let her work at, because they effectively had 24-hour police protection, but I digress) and she said it always amazed her at how they almost never had to throw out coffee.

I’ve had a technivorm Moccamaster for a few years now. Best drip machine I’ve ever had. The key is that it brews at a high temp(most fall short in this area).
It’s a bit pricey, but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had this smaller Bonavita for over a year and it’s fantastic. They come in other sizes and this particular unit makes a delicious cup every time!

e2dc6d853e90de1733f12f01027dca86.jpg

Honest question, do coffee makers really even matter? Aren’t they all about the same?

We have the Ninja coffee bar system. I guess it's pretty similar to kuerig but I can mess with strengths by adjusting amount of grinds. Plus I can do a concentrate for specialty drinks, a stronger 8oz, and full pot when when there's company.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's a bit more clean up but a French press makes a really good cup of coffee. We have an electric kettle, it takes a couple of minutes to boil the water, pour it into the press give it 5 minutes or so to steep, press down the grounds and enjoy. I've been told the heating of the pot is what creates the burnt taste and more acid bite in coffee.

Honest question, do coffee makers really even matter? Aren’t they all about the same?

Actually no. For instance Americas Test Kitchen ran a test and out of 10 makers, only a couple brewed at the right temp range and amount of time.

It appears that not only are they not all the same, some are really bad at what they do.

To kind of echo what JB said, we did a bunch of research on them yesterday and both the coffee maker and beans matter.

For those saying just the beans matter, think of it like this, you can buy an expensive waygu steak, but if you cook it until it’s a hockey puck it’s still going to taste bad. You need the right cooking apparatus and the proper cooking skills to make it taste good. Make sense?

To kind of echo what JB said, we did a bunch of research on them yesterday and both the coffee maker and beans matter.

For those saying just the beans matter, think of it like this, you can buy an expensive waygu steak, but if you cook it until it’s a hockey puck it’s still going to taste bad. You need the right cooking apparatus and the proper cooking skills to make it taste good. Make sense?

I never realized how much the machine matters until my wife insisted on a built in coffee machine when we built a home in 2012. She drinks a lot of cappuccinos, espressos, lattes, and coffees (and I do now) and a good machine to do all of them easily is convenient and IMO, makes a much tastier cup of coffeee than a drip machine. For a counter top model that is not too expensive, look at the DeLonghi ESAM 04.110.S. It’s still expensive at $637 on Amazon but actually a bargain compared to others that work as well. After getting a machine that makes a great cup of coffee it’s hard to go back to something like a drip coffee maker. It’s also a lot cheaper than going to Starbucks every day.

Of course if you’re just drinking coffee and adding a bunch of creamer and sugar, the coffee maker matters a lot less.

Last edited:
The two best coffee pots I’ve owned have been cuisinart. The first had its own grinder built in and would grind the beans right before brewing. It cost about $130 and it was awesome but very loud and eventually (a couple years) the grinder part stopped working.

I tried a delonghi in between that and my current pot and it was pretty good as well until I broke the carafe. My current cuisinart is just a normal drip coffee pot, I think I got it on sale at Home Depot of all places for like $40

I'm also getting ready to replace my Keurig machine; like GG, I also prefer drip coffee to instapod stuff. Has anyone here had experience with Braun coffee makers? They have a couple of them listed on Amazon that are in my price range.

https://behmor.com/brazen-plus/

I won't change from this one. It allows single degree temp changes from 190° to 210°, altitude can be programmed so you get proper temperature calibration, has a pre-soak of up to 30sec, and a thermal carafe so you don't burn the coffee as it sits in the pot. Water is heated before it hits the grounds.

I also grind my own beans right before making coffee.

Good luck with your search!

They do matter.

No, they are not the same.

But it's your grinder that also makes the difference.

I use a Behmor Brazen Plus - American designed - you can set the water temperature, pre-soak time, altitude etc - and I once knew why altitude makes a difference, but no longer. The darker the bean, the higher the temp - not much but it does matter.

I've owned it for about 4 yrs - it's versatile. I also brew water for tea in it.

[video=youtube;dPh6x-1iI3k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPh6x-1iI3k[/video]

Start at around 40 seconds for your viewing pleasure.

But if you're investing, get a decent grinder, too.

And get coffee that is freshly roasted.

Last edited:
At my office we use the Bonavita BV1900 which has been a workhorse and makes great coffee, especially if you like a stronger brew. Read the reviews and see if some of the downsides are things that would bother you. It’s been going strong for two years, but does need to be descaled per the suggested instructions.

... I used a french press for years but I prefer light bright roasts and a drip coffeemaker was recommend for those beans from several roasters I trust. So I bought the Bonavita BV1900 last year and have been very pleasantly surprised with it.

Back