Best Drip Coffee Maker

Anyone use a manual bean grinder?

Tempted to get one of these...

I bought the Capresso burr grinder a few months ago when we had some rewards bucks expiring. It's pretty simple, doesn't have a hand crank, and makes the best cup of coffee I've had at home.

I’ve had a technivorm Moccamaster for a few years now. Best drip machine I’ve ever had. The key is that it brews at a high temp(most fall short in this area).
It’s a bit pricey, but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another vote for the Moccamaster. I had a Cusinart and liked it. The Moccamaster just taste better. Makes the coffee super fast and is pretty on the counter. I drink a lot of Joe and can justify the extra money

I have two - a Technivorm Mocha Master and Breville where you can set bloom time, temperature, fast or slow brew (all of which can help extract more or less depending on your beans and roast), and also an SCCA Brew ... and other options. About $300. The Mocha Master is in storage. The only issue with most steel carafes is make certain you rinse them out with hot water before you brew - shake it up and then empty it - brew. I am such a nerd.

View attachment 9086723
I remember when we used to show folks pictures of our golf clubs. Lol

Anyone use a manual bean grinder?

Tempted to get one of these...

They work well but not as your main coffee grinder. Tried it a long time ago and you quickly get tired of having to manually grind every day.

They work well but not as your main coffee grinder. Tried it a long time ago and you quickly get tired of having to manually grind every day.

I bought it and I have not grown too tired of it yet, but I get what you mean now.

I drink dark roast coffee black and grind my own beans. First cup at about 4:45am and last about 1pm for over 25 years. at home I'm using a simple drip machine with not even a timer. Works fine but this past week was at a VRBO home where they had a pour over rig into a big pot that was very good. I may see if I can find one on amazon.

I remember when we used to show folks pictures of our golf clubs. Lol

Golf is sometimes too frustrating, and having a coffee hobby is less stressful. It's also an inside sport.

The Breville is great because you can set Temps at 201-205, slow, medium, fast flow, and degassing time, and other options.

I’m in no hurry to replace my Cuisinart, which has been reliable and makes what I think is great coffee, but based on reviews its replacement will likely be a Bonavita.

i like this burr grinder, which is both inexpensive and well-rated:

The Technivorm with a stainless carafe is a good choice. You should drink your coffee within 30 minutes of making it, anyway. But the secret to keeping it hot for that time is to run water through the machine without coffee to warm up everything and then make the coffee.

I just purchased a Capresso Infinity Plus Conical Grinder on WholeLatteLove for a friend and I believe it is good for its price. I also purchased a Hario Scale for her. It was a good price for a good scale. You need the scale to weigh your water in grams and get the ratio of water to beans. The Hario has Tare and a timer on it. It's $60 instead of the $250 Acaia.

I usually start at 17:1 as a ratio and adjust up or down from there. If I put in 340g of water, I use 20g of beans in the brewer. I use that ratio from an excellent online coffee roaster. But remember the ratio also depends on the grind of the beans - usually on the fine side of medium - not too coarse and not espresso grind. But you need to find your own way.

I'd start out with fresh beans that are a blend - medium. I like Klatch Coffee Mocha Java as a good medium roast coffee as a starter. It's also a good starter for French Press Coffee. If you are interested in French Press, I have an Espro E7 - the unique feature of the Espro is that it has a filtered basket that keeps the grinds out of your coffee. I don't like grinds in my coffee - WholeLatteLove has it.

I am now using a Breville Precision Brewer Thermal - don't know the exact name but it has about 5 different ways to make coffee including SCCA recipe, and my usual is custom where you set the Bloom Time, Temperature, Med, fast or Slow through the brewer (the darker the faster but usually medium, and then slow for medium-light roasts).

If you do get the MoccaMaster, it does not have a bloom time. So as you start brewing, when the filter is about 1/2 full, pull it out slightly and stir it a bit, and then put it back in.

Good luck on your way to a fun OCD hobby and good tasting coffee.

Last edited:
Most important fabeans.
Freshly ground beans.
Screen, No paper filter, they filter out the flavorful oils.
Stainless carafe, keeping the brewed coffee on heat makes it more acidic.

I use this for convienence, but the absolute best coffee is pressed coffee. I have had this press for a few years. Well made.

And a press costs considerably less. I press coffee whenever I'm not pressed for time.

There are many high-quality drip coffee machines on the market that can produce excellent coffee. Here are a few options to consider:

1. Bonavita BV1900TS: This coffee maker is known for its simple design and ability to consistently brew excellent coffee. It features a pre-infusion mode that wets the coffee grounds before brewing, which helps to enhance the flavor.
  2. Technivorm Moccamaster: This is a high-end drip coffee maker that is handcrafted in the Netherlands. It features a unique brewing system that heats water to the optimal temperature range and brews coffee quickly and consistently.
  3. OXO Brew 9 Cup Coffee Maker: This machine is designed to mimic the pour-over brewing method, which produces a rich and flavorful cup of coffee. It features a rainmaker showerhead that distributes water evenly over the coffee grounds and a programmable timer for added convenience.
  4. Breville Precision Brewer: This coffee maker offers a variety of brewing options, including pour-over, cold brew, and iced coffee. It also features a PID temperature control system that ensures water temperature is consistent throughout the brewing process.
When selecting a drip coffee machine, it's important to consider factors such as brewing time, temperature control, and ease of use. Ultimately, the best machine for you will depend on your personal preferences and brewing style

Agree, I am attempting to decide how OCD do I want to be with drip coffee.

I have a Linea Mini, and Monolith conical and flat grinders.

I have deep OCD with espresso.

If I go with a MoccaMaster, it will not be for OCD, it will be for the color.:LOL: Seriously, I have a black, white, and dark walnut theme in the kitchen and need something that pops. But it also makes darn good coffee. But if you do light roasted beans, you want more control - temp control as well as grinder control. If you use medium to dark roasts, a MoccaMaster and a not so expensive grinder ;) ($400-700) works, oh a $195 grinder will work for drip, French press, etc, too. See what I mean about OCD - the grinder makes a huge difference.

Need a few posts on grinders.:)

My morning espresso mess.

I would not suggest these Monoliths - because of the expense.

But if you are doing coffee,

Capresso makes a $99 conical grinder, and Baratza at $149 is a good choice for drip or other coffee but not espresso.

IMG_2841.jpeg

Last edited:
Bunn is the best. We went the Keurig route but I didn't want to use those K-cups most of the time. WE got a Keurig that will also make a carafe of coffee instead of using K-cups.
We like it quite a bit but I believe the Bunn makes a better cup of coffee, and it's certainly faster.

The Technivorm Moccamaster is widely felt to be the best drip coffee brewer available.

An inexpensive, but adequate machine is the Cuisinart Brew Central. I used one for years. (Still have a spare, bought on sale, sitting in reserve.)

An inexpensive solution that produces a pretty darn fine cup is an AeroPress. Similar to a French Press but with a fraction of the mess. (Though I have wonder about the wisdom of 180° hot water steeping ground coffee in a plastic tube.)

With both the Cuisinart machine and our AeroPress I used metal mesh filters. More cleanup hassle, but, the oils extracted from the brewing process make it to the cup.

The Capresso Infinity grinder, the all-metal version, is a relatively economical burr grinder that's adequate for everything short of espresso grind. (It's grind is too inconsistent for espresso.) Ours is still going strong since my wife bought it for me for Christmas probably better than fifteen years ago.

Whichever way you do it: Freshly-roasted whole bean, ground just before brewing, makes a world of difference. The water matters, too. We run all our water for brewing coffee through Brita pitchers.

Nowadays, I pull double shots with my espresso machine and add about the same quantity of hot water from our electric kettle to make Caffè Americanos.

IMHO you need no machine for the best coffee. All you need is a French press.

As someone who had enjoyed coffee, espresso machines, and various grinders since 1984, one word of caution, if you are going with normal drip makers where you can't control temp, blooming, or temp, and have a simple grinder, be safe and happy, and buy medium to medium dark beans - they crush more easily, brew better at lower temps without blooming, and will provide you a more satisfying cup.

The ratio of water to coffee depends on your method of brew. For drip, I start at 17g of water for 1g of fresh beans and adjust from there. Usually, I go downwards - 16.8:1, for French press it may be 15 or 15.5:1 ... good luck. The older the beans the lower the ratio.

Scales are great to have.

Back