Best Drip Coffee Maker

I'm also getting ready to replace my Keurig machine; like GG, I also prefer drip coffee to instapod stuff. Has anyone here had experience with Braun coffee makers? They have a couple of them listed on Amazon that are in my price range.

We had at least one Braun and liked it a lot. For a while, we went between Braun and Krups, whichever was on sale. That was probably 15-20 years ago. Then both became a little harder to find and we wound up with Cuisinart.

I've learned a lot on this thread, particularly among those advocating higher end units. My inner engineer loves the adjustability of the Behmor. I guess it's the difference between a cheap kitchen knife and a good one. The former is fine until you've had the latter. Then it's hard to go back.

I once knew why altitude makes a difference, but no longer

I can help! At its boiling point, water's vapor pressure equals atmospheric pressure. You can't get liquid water any hotter than its boiling point. In a pressure cooker, water boils at a higher temperature than 212 F because the inside of the pot is under pressure. At higher altitudes, atmospheric pressure is lower, and so the boiling point of water is lower. In Houston, water bois at 212 F. In Denver, water boils at 203 F - enough to make a differerence when you're brewing coffee.

Best Drip Coffee Maker

We’ve had Krups, Cuisinart, Braun and Bunn over the years. For a long time, I balked at the Bunn, but our last two units have been Bunns.

I really like the short brew time. Bottled water and fresh burr-ground beans make the difference.

Got some fresh-roasted Kona from Peet’s direct for the holidays. Something a little different than our usual Jamaican Blue Mountain beans. Both are incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best Drip Coffee Maker

Actually no. For instance Americas Test Kitchen ran a test and out of 10 makers, only a couple brewed at the right temp range and amount of time.

It appears that not only are they not all the same, some are really bad at what they do.

To kind of echo what JB said, we did a bunch of research on them yesterday and both the coffee maker and beans matter.

For those saying just the beans matter, think of it like this, you can buy an expensive waygu steak, but if you cook it until it’s a hockey puck it’s still going to taste bad. You need the right cooking apparatus and the proper cooking skills to make it taste good. Make sense?

Soooo......yea. I’m a snob of the coffee drinkers. As many have mentioned, grinding your beams right before hand goes 2/3 of the way you need to go, to get a solid cup of coffee. I have owned this machine for years and it’s time for an upgrade but have enjoyed the incorporated grinder into the machine. Makes it easy and one less kitchen item. (Still own a grinder though) plus I like the double walled insulated carafe. Not the top of the line which I am also researching right now but also a solid option imho for $100

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G8Y2WW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zyqkCb0HA842G
be0944defafdbd7191d83481fc6b9ca3.jpg

Soooo......yea. I’m a snob of the coffee drinkers. As many have mentioned, grinding your beams right before hand goes 2/3 of the way you need to go, to get a solid cup of coffee. I have owned this machine for years and it’s time for an upgrade but have enjoyed the incorporated grinder into the machine. Makes it easy and one less kitchen item. (Still own a grinder though) plus I like the double walled insulated carafe. Not the top of the line which I am also researching right now but also a solid option imho for $100

That is similar to the one we just bought. The Cuisinart DCC3400, but I want a moccamaster.

I concur. Just drink a few cups in the a.m. so it work out great for me.

Between my wife and I, we go through two pots a day ("12 cup") - 4 cups each (rather large cups) We used Krupps for years, but had to replace them too often. Tried Braun and now a better Mr. Coffee. They all burn out inside 2 years. Best coffee is burr grind whole bean, regardless of what machine we use.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Next question, do you have a burr grinder that you prefer that's not too expensive? We have a small coffee/spice grinder that works ok in a pinch, but I would like a decent burr grinder. TIA!

That is similar to the one we just bought. The Cuisinart DCC3400, but I want a moccamaster.

I had a Techivorm for several years, still have it in the cupboard, but the Behmor Brazen Plus has more customization at a lower price. Quality - not much of a difference due to an excellent grinder, but the Behmor had the edge. Not much - both are excellent. But pre-soak and temp are nice options with Behmor - it's definitely an afficionado's maker.

Now to get the LaMarzocco GS3 repaired for scale accumulation...

Last edited:
A Cusinart with the SS carafe to keep the coffee hot and not the hot plate which comes with the glass carafe. Hot plate burns the coffee.

This^^^^ have used mine for many years and it is still the best coffee maker I have had, however, it is essential to use a good quality bean and be freshly ground before brewing.

I think you will be pleased.

Yea pretty sure that’s the next generation of the one we have.

https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-01-Infinity-Conical-Black-x/dp/B001QTVXCS?th=1

My research led me to this one when I did my complete overhaul of coffetopia. This grinder, the Behmor Brazen plus and an upgrade to a fresh roasted bean that I get from Amazon.

Agree. The Capresso is a fine grinder for filtered or bigger grind coffee. And I believe that Amazon has a good price on it.

Since you're in NY, look at George Howell Coffee out of Boston - either at a grocer or online - I also buy Klatch out of SoCal.

Last edited:
I am kind of over the burnt Keurig coffee deal, and am starting to realize I prefer drip coffee. So, with that said if you are a drip coffee machine owner, what is your favorite?

I am not looking for a a regular run of the mill machine, I want something that makes a really good cup of coffee. It doesn't need bells and whistles either, it just needs to make a really good cup of coffee.

I started using this when we moved to GA. When I want a robust cup of joe I break it out. https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tab...-seattle-pour-over-coffee-maker-groc1060.html

I’m a bit of a coffee snob and when I was in the market earlier this year I went with the OXO On coffee maker.

It’s an amazing SCAA certified maker that I absolutely couldn’t be happier with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Next question, do you have a burr grinder that you prefer that's not too expensive? We have a small coffee/spice grinder that works ok in a pinch, but I would like a decent burr grinder. TIA!

Baratza Encore, I cant recommend it enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Current machine is a Krups with stainless steel carafe and no hot plate. It does a good job and the coffee stays hot/warm for quite some time.

I’ve had nothing but good luck with Bunn. Great coffee and fast. I’ve had to have one replaced under warranty and it was so easy. That’s a big deal to me because my coffee makers get used multiple times daily. That last Bunn I bought was the BXB and it has been great.

I’ve been using the Technivorm Moccamaster for years. It’s been the best coffee maker I’ve owned. The coffee is fantastic and consistent wether I’m making 2 cups or 10 cups. Plus it’s super far, quiet and the carafe keeps the coffee plenty warm without the need for a burner.

Back